I'm going somewhere with this--I think.

For now, I'll just post some observations and welcome comments and criticism.

Traditional Chinese fighting arts are propagated through a social network--the men-pai systems.

These societies are based on both Confucian and practical values. They allow for a recognition of authority and for some degree of control over a tradition. The traditions and lineages are cultural constructs that may be as important to the membership as any actual skills gained by participation.

The ultimate test of the methods taught within these systems is personal combat, whether it be a life-or-death struggle or challenging in a public arena.

Success within a traditional system may be based more (or entirely) upon recognition as a lineage-holder than proven skills as a fighter.

A fighter may do very well in his field regardless of any standing within a pai or men.

A fighter with "bad" or sloppy technique can still win over a fighter with superior skill in certain techniques, e.g.: a "brawler" over a picture-perfect "boxer."

The traditional systems have developed high-level skills and pedagogy to support their schools and traditions. Perhaps the greatest asset of these traditonal societies is that they preserve well-structured systems of training and discovery.