Thread: Django Unchained

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...but I was wondering if if would elicit controversy.
    I realize people get their history from movies as opposed to "history books" (what's that, they say?) and that is their fault.
    Am I to imagine that masters curtsied to their slaves to get work done during slavery and segration? I think not, and besides the 'N" word was a cornerstone of US misguided history. And plantations were not called Disneyland for black people!

Be for real, people
    "[W]hy in 'Django Unchained' did Tarantino feel it was necessary to depict black men being pummeled and tortured in such graphic, gory, and yes, gratuitous ways?" she wrote at the Huffington Post. "Yes, slavery was brutal, but when films like 'Roots' depict a slave being maimed it is not done in a voyeuristic way that goes on for several minutes, and that film was not any less effective in conveying the institution's brutality."
    Why do we think it was called slavery?

Django seems to be a film for black people that is similar to how inglorious basterds was a film for Jewish people.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Django seems to be a film for black people that is similar to how inglorious basterds was a film for Jewish people.
    And Kill Bill was for international assassins who are named after poisonous snakes, people who like to kill mass groups of yakuza while wearing a yellow onesy, and bigots who hate people named Bill!

I finally saw this

I really enjoyed it. So did my wife. It was engrossing all the way through. Foxx, Waltz, Jackson and DiCaprio were all at the top of their game. I was hoping for a little more from Kerry as I like her in Scandal. The mask-eyehole scene with Hill was hysterical. And I got to hand it to QT; he can still choreograph ultravi in a singularly stylistic way that is his cinematic signature.

Coulda used a sword fight tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    And Kill Bill was for international assassins who are named after poisonous snakes, people who like to kill mass groups of yakuza while wearing a yellow onesy, and bigots who hate people named Bill!
    Nah, it's QT for Asian people and blonde hotties.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't know, when I saw it downtown on Saturday, the theater was packed with mostly White people. Blacks were only maybe 20%. That being said, I think those people were fans of Tarantino movies, not slavery movies.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

i need 100 black coffins

finally saw this last night, and i loved it. ill keep it breath, but ill say this all this issue around slavery and the n word in this film is stupid..it doesnt trivialize slavery, but slavery is not the central theme of the story, the story is about a former slave who will stop at nothing to get his wife back. set against the backdrop of slavery.

it was just a bad ass western or southern, loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Be for real, people Why do we think it was called slavery?
    Yeah, that chick from the Huffington Post is stupid. Roots was not just as effective. Visitors from other countries like the character Christoph Waltz played
    probably threw up, had nightmares and maybe even some form of PTSD after seeing real slavery. I mean really, it could only make you blood thirsty and make you want to get in on the violence; or disgust you, make you vomit and have nightmares? Roots didn't give me any of that, and though I could understand some of what went on in slavery, Roots didn't get into half of the worst practices that were carried on.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man