Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hostess Brands is Closed

No doubt. This is a clear cut case of corporate greed, not union greed. Some unions have done what LCP said, but usually it's the other way around.

The top execs decided they can make more money selling off the assets than giving in to the union. Typical short term greed. The reasons for financial troubles were more related to corporate wages and spending habits than workers wages and benefits package. They took the money and ran, simple. They're loaded. They can do whatever they want, why would they care about anything? Making money with nothing is hard, making money with lots of money is inevitable. I wish these guys were as patriotic as they pretend to be when they are buying political representation.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...every freaking school day. And she was a dietician by trade. I haven't had one in at least thirty years.
    I haven't had one 40 years, but I have a strange yearning for one now that I can't have one anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Did you see the cuts? A solid 50% pay cut and drastically reduced pensions. Meanwhile, the CEO tripled his own salary.

For most, the cuts would have made the job not worth it.
    I think it was more like an 8% pay cut, but probably more for the pension. The Teamster's Union was allowed to look at the books and recommended the cuts be accepted. Triple pay for the CEO I haven't heard, it certainly looks bad politically and socially, but if he saves the company he may be worth it. And "triple" is too general a term, is it triple $20 million a year or triple $100,000 a year, the amount lacks context in order to make a reasonable determination of its appropriateness.

This is what happens when ALEC and Heritage Foundation template work together with corporations. The deceptive naming convention (Citizens United) has given power to corporations to run rampant with whatever they want.
    a. No collective bargaining
    b. get rid of social security or privatize it.
    c. get rid of FEMA or privatize it
    d. Companies do not have to pay pensions if they do not want, or, they can pay lowered benefits, etc
    e. It is OK for CEO salary to triple but not to come to the negotiation table for employees.
    f. Companies having, or moving towards only part time employees so they would not pay benefits, or if you look at work hours for companiues, many more are giving the total hours per week as anything below 40 hours!
    This is only the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    What do you mean by the shakes comment?
    Consumption of human flesh, over time, causes a build-up of amyloid fibers in the consumer. These fibers are related to improperly folded proteins. This is also the basis for prion related diseases. Prions are infectious protein bodies. Basically they propagate by transmitting misfolded proteins. So, proteins in out bodies have evolved to work in concert with other proteins around them. Basically without getting into too much detail, molecules often have opposite forms that are recognized by the way they bend light, in simplified terms handedness. But its basically a structural arrangement of atoms in the molecule. And that's all proteins are, molecules. So these misfolded proteins tend to induce other structures around them to also fold incorrectly. Its just chemical favorability and energetics really. Anyways, these build up in an individual over the years and result in pockets of misshapen proteins that degrade leaving potched tissue. In the brain you get a condition known as spongiform encephalopathy. One of the symptoms is erratic shaking.

This is also the basis for mad cow disease (BSE) and such. Interestingly, or maybe frightening, this condition when related to human flesh consumption is shown to have a long onset, somewhere upwards of 20-30 years, depending on how much that individual consumed over their lifetime. If you think about it, the mad cow scare it in late 80's/early 90's. We may only just now be entering the expression phase for all those people that could be effected. And we know that prions persist in soil and such. So even in America it may be the case where we will still see people coming out with symptoms, it may take longer due to less consumption. But there's this notion that we in the US eradicated the infected animals before it became an issue. But that was only because we killed the calf before it began presenting itself. It doesn't mean it wasn't carrying. Those proteins could still have persisted in the food supply, in smaller quantities. But people could still be ingesting them.

I'm not a vegetarian, but this is one more reason I try to avoid beef as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Consumption of human flesh, over time, causes a build-up of amyloid fibers in the consumer. These fibers are related to improperly folded proteins. This is also the basis for prion related diseases. Prions are infectious protein bodies. Basically they propagate by transmitting misfolded proteins. So, proteins in out bodies have evolved to work in concert with other proteins around them. Basically without getting into too much detail, molecules often have opposite forms that are recognized by the way they bend light, in simplified terms handedness. But its basically a structural arrangement of atoms in the molecule. And that's all proteins are, molecules. So these misfolded proteins tend to induce other structures around them to also fold incorrectly. Its just chemical favorability and energetics really. Anyways, these build up in an individual over the years and result in pockets of misshapen proteins that degrade leaving potched tissue. In the brain you get a condition known as spongiform encephalopathy. One of the symptoms is erratic shaking.

This is also the basis for mad cow disease (BSE) and such. Interestingly, or maybe frightening, this condition when related to human flesh consumption is shown to have a long onset, somewhere upwards of 20-30 years, depending on how much that individual consumed over their lifetime. If you think about it, the mad cow scare it in late 80's/early 90's. We may only just now be entering the expression phase for all those people that could be effected. And we know that prions persist in soil and such. So even in America it may be the case where we will still see people coming out with symptoms, it may take longer due to less consumption. But there's this notion that we in the US eradicated the infected animals before it became an issue. But that was only because we killed the calf before it began presenting itself. It doesn't mean it wasn't carrying. Those proteins could still have persisted in the food supply, in smaller quantities. But people could still be ingesting them.

I'm not a vegetarian, but this is one more reason I try to avoid beef as much as possible.
    and I was just about to go make dinner grabs some fruit instead.

what cannibals did they do this research on, got any links?.

So basically mad cow was because they were feeding cows to cows?

The meat industry is pretty nasty when you look into it. Beef in the US is brutal. All that growth hormone.

While we're at it, GM crops are kinda scary too. But in all honesty, I don't see how we can avoid it if we stay on the path we're on. Unless we have some massive reduction in the population, we're gonna need to turn around bigger crops faster, so to speak. Cross contamination will be an issue for sure.

I read that the Anasasai sp? of the american west were cannibals and that they used the kiva holes to hold captive indians that they captured to eat. And that they secumbed to eating human brains and such. I think they determined that from petrafied turds and human remains.
    As for big industry and the common worker. It was once necessary for the labor unions, which were brought here from communist Russia, so that the common worker would not be exploited. Now we have lots of other agencies to prevent this so labor unions have changed their agenda. The purpose of an industry is to make the investors and shareholders lots of money. Paying large wages, insurance, other benefits and of course a retirement fund, for each individual can make it difficult to keep the lines moving. Because of this they are either closing down or moving their operations over seas. Outsourcing if you will. Companies are in business to make money. Not to simply be able to pay wages and benefits.
    Back in 1985, 27 years ago, I was foreman in a large printing plant. A chevy plant was on strike and one of their strikers came looking for a job to help him make ends meet. He wanted 38 bucks an hour, and he wanted full insurance coverage. Takes a while to become permenent to get insurance, and even our top pressmen didn't make but a buck or two more than half that. The guy had been working there since he got out of high school and his job was installing the cardboard pouch of the glove box. 6 screws with a small air hand wrench. 38 bucks was his wage there and he said he needed to make that with us. He was sweeping my floors. Labor unions do not just effect the companies they work in, but all companies that have dealings with that company. It is a circle. High wages demand higher pricing on their products, which makes the companies using these products to pay more, and individuals then need higher wages to afford some of these products. This is why an american made car can cost so much. It is all in the labor end. It has absolutely nothing to do with quality. I personally feel this labor union thing is why now jobs are going out of country along with revenue and taxes.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    and I was just about to go make dinner grabs some fruit instead.

what cannibals did they do this research on, got any links?.
    Look up Kuru. Mainly tribes in Papua New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So basically mad cow was because they were feeding cows to cows?

The meat industry is pretty nasty when you look into it. Beef in the US is brutal. All that growth hormone.

While we're at it, GM crops are kinda scary too. But in all honesty, I don't see how we can avoid it if we stay on the path we're on. Unless we have some massive reduction in the population, we're gonna need to turn around bigger crops faster, so to speak. Cross contamination will be an issue for sure.
    So there's a couple hypotheses. One is that it crossed species from sheep suffering scrapie. Which I think might be most plausible if its true that the factory was processing infected sheep as well. That contamination got into the bone meal that they process as a protein supplement for cattle. Then the rest is history. Another hypothesis is that it was spontaneous. I don't think this likely caused the epidemic. It IS, however, true that this same disease also occurs genetically in both humans and other animals. So its possible. Either way, some infected animal was processed and it was spread through meat and bone meal, so yes cows eating cow.

Thing is, once you understand the biochemistry of all this, I wouldn't be surprised if we all have this to some degree simply by natural occurrence, just at levels that are not significant before our normal expiration date.

I wouldn't say all GM foods are bad. Simply selecting for certain sizes and such in plants aren't so bad. For a number of reasons, genetic mutation isn't so detrimental to plants. However, some of the things they're doing now with inducing toxin production that act as pesticides I'm not so hot about. Of course neither are the chemicals they've been using anyways. Depends what it is. Just because its a toxin doesn't mean its necessarily harmful to humans. Hell you can swallow snake venom and digest it so long as you don't have any ulcers or GI issues. Whenever you're talking genetics you're by extension talking proteins, and proteins can be weird.

We still make em up here in Canada because George Weston holds the license and rights to produce em here.

So, come for a visit and have a twinkie.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    We still make em up here in Canada because George Weston holds the license and rights to produce em here.

So, come for a visit and have a twinkie.
    You mean we can go to Canadiland to visit twinkies?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Look up Kuru. Mainly tribes in Papua New Guinea
    No wonder I am so sleepy all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    You mean we can go to Canadiland to visit twinkies?
    You sure can!
    http://www.canadianfavourites.com/Ho...hostess003.htm
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wait, Canadian twinkies?

There's a rumor floating about that Bimbo will take over the brand. So America will have finally outsourced it's American junk food.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There's a rumor floating about that Bimbo will take over the brand. So America will have finally outsourced it's American junk food.
    Too bad we can't outsource the obesity and diabetes that comes with it.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"