Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: There are two kinds of teachers

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Where these legit teachers, or wannabee chi fairies?

How did you end up with this type of teacher 3 times?!
    Because Rwilson is actually 12 and his parents keep signing him up with mcdojos to save money.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

To original post........

No teacher can teach bad student.

Student needs to know how to learn, dumb students don't learn.

Sounds like you need to check the mirror instead of pointing the finger.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 07-13-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Are you still bitter that I don't buy into your fantasy LARP QI nonsense?

Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Happens when you get into a vicious c0ckfight !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Happens when you get into a vicious c0ckfight !
    No, it's what happens when you find yourself taking shots at both Qi enthusiasts and "all TCMA is bad" types simultaneously.

And when you've got very little to do at work on a Friday.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    No, it's what happens when you find yourself taking shots at both Qi enthusiasts and "all TCMA is bad" types simultaneously.

And when you've got very little to do at work on a Friday.
    just making time for the weekend baby !
    and then:
    BEACH !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    I have come across two different kinds of teachers.

One teaches how to do skills. He teaches you how to throw and lets you throw him. He teaches you how to hit and then sends you to the bag. When teaching throws he teaches you how to create momentum and shows how momentary body mechanics help. This teacher emphasizes conditioning and makes it part of his class. This is how student learn how to do it on their own. This teacher is good.

Here is the other kind of teacher I have come across. This teacher sucks. He talks about what magic acu points to press on before throwing the guy, he has you strike him slow and then super speed counters, you have to fall for him because he is too old to throw you but still believes he can, he extracts techniques from forms and demos on arm hangers. He talks about static positions when "trapping" in striking and says, "if he moves here I move here. It is so easy". He does not freestyle with you. This teacher may or may not believe in conditioning but says you should do it on your own but the truth is he stopped years ago. He talks about how this helps a smaller person beat the bigger stronger person.

Have you guys come across these kinds? Which did you prefer?

The biggest reason for the two teachers is that the first teacher still competes. He is with it. The second teacher either never competed/fought or he did so in his youth. He allowed his actual training to stagnate and sat around thinking all day about how to apply instead of actually applying.
    Agreed.

The first teacher is a good teacher.

The second teacher is "too deadly for the ring." He's probably also fat and out of shape and all his techniques involve your opponenet leaving their arm outstretched after throwing a punch.
    "If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    just making time for the weekend baby !
    and then:
    BEACH !!
    Her chi is blocked in her left shoulder, right hip, and right side of neck.

I will help her with stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Her chi is blocked in her left shoulder, right hip, and right side of neck.

I will help her with stiffness.
    I have something that will clear her blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have something that will clear her blockage.

Why does she have shoes on? Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Because Rwilson is actually 12 and his parents keep signing him up with mcdojos to save money.
    I do not reveal the names of my former teachers out of respect. That is the only respect I owe them. One of them makes thousands of dollars teaching seminars. His students are wealthy larpers who have not done real martial arts before. They are deadly legends in their own minds. I left not because of the teacher. I left because he was teaching tcma and "self defense" talking about the supposed old masters' skills. Meanwhile the class consisted of forms, chi gong, and arm hanging demos. The other reason I left was because his assistant teachers were so arrogant in the way they taught but they were all products of the regular class. Here is an example. The teacher was away one class and this guy had us do a technique. The first part of the technique involved us parrying a slow strike while making sure we were using our structure(I hate that word). He had us do this for a half hour. The next part was to push the guys arm horizontally against him causing him to break his structure. This was another 15-20 minutes.

You guys say that these teachers are in the minority and that I am a troll. But if I revealed his name most of you would know him and probably defend him. You would defed him because he is somewhat famous, his lineage is top notch(some guys do not even have a lineage), he is a nice guy, and because you are all biased. This guy is a great guy to have as a friend. But if I showed you video of his class you would see mostly forms and chi gong with some arm hanging technique drilling. What ****es me off is that he talks about how his tcma class teaches you self defense. Wtf are you smoking? He does not believe in sparring. He does not know how to breakfall or roll but talks about the hidden throws in forms.

The tcma media is biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    To original post........

No teacher can teach bad student.

Student needs to know how to learn, dumb students don't learn.

Sounds like you need to check the mirror instead of pointing the finger.
    And this folks is the exact attitude of a bad teacher. Bad teachers do not know what they are doing and give vague answers to keep from being found out. Many good students get ruined by bad teschers

I do not reveal the names of my former teachers out of respect. That is the only respect I owe them. One of them makes thousands of dollars teaching seminars. His students are wealthy larpers who have not done real martial arts before. They are deadly legends in their own minds. I left not because of the teacher. I left because he was teaching tcma and "self defense" talking about the supposed old masters' skills. Meanwhile the class consisted of forms, chi gong, and arm hanging demos. The other reason I left was because his assistant teachers were so arrogant in the way they taught but they were all products of the regular class. Here is an example. The teacher was away one class and this guy had us do a technique. The first part of the technique involved us parrying a slow strike while making sure we were using our structure(I hate that word). He had us do this for a half hour. The next part was to push the guys arm horizontally against him causing him to break his structure. This was another 15-20 minutes.

You guys say that these teachers are in the minority and that I am a troll. But if I revealed his name most of you would know him and probably defend him. You would defed him because he is somewhat famous, his lineage is top notch(some guys do not even have a lineage), he is a nice guy, and because you are all biased. This guy is a great guy to have as a friend. But if I showed you video of his class you would see mostly forms and chi gong with some arm hanging technique drilling. What ****es me off is that he talks about how his tcma class teaches you self defense. Wtf are you smoking? He does not believe in sparring. He does not know how to breakfall or roll but talks about the hidden throws in forms.

The tcma media is biased.
    I've had teachers like that, too. I took a demo lesson at a Krav Maga school and never came back for another one. I made a thread about it 6 years ago or whenever it was, too.

First we did punching drills with a partner. I got excited because I thought "awesome, right off the bat we're doing drills against resisting opponents!"

WRONG.

We had to throw these stupid hooking punches and the other guy was to reach out and block them with this "wax on/wax off" type of hook block.

I wasn't reaching out enough, so the teacher came over and corrected my form

Anyone who has ever fought against a resisting opponent knows that reaching out to block punches is a good way to get punched. Most people do it once or twice before they learn.

He also corrected my fighting stance, encouraging me to extend my arms further away from my face. Now I was coming from an MMA school where we did exclusively crazy monkey boxing, so I was used to having my hands right next to, if not on, my forehead. Anything feels "too far" by comparison. But he had me get my lead hand pretty far away. Not being the kind of person to come in and disrespect another style, I obliged (while hoping my muscle memory would forgive me). He wanted my lead hand a good 20-24" away from my face. What is this, Karate Kid?

The next thing we did was punch while the overweight teacher counted reps.

The next thing we did was a knee attack drill into a pad that our partner held. FOR FORTY FIVE MINUTES.

There was no discussion of how to get into that position.

There was no discussion of what to do if the opponent resists.

It was just put your arm around your partner's neck and knee the pad.

Why does that need to be trained for 45 minutes? Even untrained people can throw a powerful knee strike.

The teacher had a massive "too deadly to train with my students" vibe.

After class, I asked him if they did any grappling in the class. His reply was, and I quote:

"No, we don't grapple. I prefer to rip a guy's arm off and beat him with it. Eh-heh-heh-heh."

He was attempting to control the frame by getting me to laugh and, therefore, agree with his premise rather than continue the conversation which he was uncomfortable having. This is a common technique used by McDojo instructors.

So I just said "oh."

And then I turned to leave and made this face:

Terrible.

The people in that class had a very strong false sense of confidence. They really thought they were learning skills that would serve them in a fight.

And that is what so many schools are like.

Krav Maga is known for being all tough and "no nonsense" (granted, every art makes this claim).

I'm not saying every KM school sucks, just the one I went to.
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-14-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Bad teachers... give vague answers to keep from being found out.
    Agree 110%!!!

This goes for any scammy person in a "guru" type position, not just martial arts teachers.

But it might be worse in martial arts because so many people want to fall for that crap, like fortune cookie wisdom type stuff. You know, the teacher speaks in riddles and after the student trains really hard, he finally understands it as he attains mastery!

Guess what, real life doesn't work like that. In real life you need specific, quantifiable answers to things. Not vague baloney that doesn't answer the question.

It's like I mentioned in my previous post. Bad teachers will do this kind of thing, and often interject a joke, to try and control the fame/conversation and get the student to go along with him/accept his frame.

I can write more about this if anyone is interested but it's my bedtime now.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.