Thread: Shaolin Temple India

Hybrid View

Why did Shaolin go to the West?

It brings me full circle because like I said...

... I lived in Pune for a month. It's not like I lived anywhere else in India. I spent the following month traveling there, but that was as a tourist. We rented an apartment in Pune for a month. It's a fascinating place.

It trips me out how Shaolin follows me sometimes. What is this Shaolin and why does it follow me?

Here's some more.

Kung Fu Chronicles
    Reshma M A : Sun May 13 2012, 04:01 hrs

At the age of six, Kanishka Sharma happened to watch the movie, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin . He did not know then that this would be the first source of inspiration for what is today his life's passion. “That film gave a new direction to my life. Later on, willpower and personal interest motivated me to pursue martial arts,” he recalls.

Shifu Kanishka, as he is popularly known, is the first Indian to have trained at the famed Shaolin Temple Secular Discipline Union, Shaolin Temple in China. He is now a part of Martial Arts Training Centre and Temple at Malavali, Pune. This is the first and the biggest such residential centre of the country.

The 35-year-old's remarkable journey began when he decided to give up his cushy corporate job in favour of martial arts. Since his training at the Shaolin Temple that began in 2001 , he has travelled across the world promoting the cause of the Shaolin Culture of Chan, Wu and Yi (Chan Buddhism, Martial Arts and Shaolin medicine).

His received initial training in Delhi, where he was born and raised. He joined Karate classes at the age of seven and followed this up with training in Kalaripayattu, and Kung Fu Tao. In XXXX, he cleared the Gong Fu Preparation (Or Foundation) Examination, WHATS ITS SIGNIFANCE . ADD Shaolin Temple details.

When asked if it was a challenge to live in China, he says, “My dream came true when I got the opportunity to learn Kung Fu in China. Overcoming the language barrier was a challenge, but it was done with patience and dedication. I have trained nearly 10 lakh students so far and they have all been relatively successful.”

Drawing inspiration has not been the only form of association he has had with movies. Shifu Kanishka has trained actors Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Zayed Khan, Boman Irani and Abhishek Bachchan in martial arts for their various roles. Though age is not a major concern when it comes to training in martial arts, Shifu Kanishka says, “Youngsters learn faster than adults, as their abilities are developed using traditional and modern conditioning techniques, from which they improve reaction time, gain confidence and self-defence abilities.”

Understandably, Shifu Kanishka emphasises on the overall physical and emotional benefits of learning marital arts. “Meditation improves concentration and calms the mind, while Qi Gong improves the blood circulation, strengthens the immunity system , increases mobility and flexibility. Together, they greatly improve the general physical condition and heighten the senses,” he says.
    Here's some more on Kanishka on our Bollywood thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart