Thread: Punching people in the face?

Hybrid View

But you still haven't validated your claim that the punch you use is
    More powerful than an uppercut

You made the claim. I and I am sure several others here are simply looking to see what procedures you used to come to this conclusion and the data from your tests.

Peer review is a good thing. It insures that there were no flaws in the procedures, that the data was gathered correctly and that the interpretation of the results is valid.
    Last edited by m1k3; 03-23-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    Mike

Having done a little boxing I understand how uppercuts work. BTW there are several different types of uppercuts as well depending on distance and spacing. I agree that there are issues with a trailing hand uppercut in that if it misses you will be open.

Whereas a lead uppercut is short, fast and incredibly tight. It is often thrown when you are leaning on you opponent or have your forehead planted in his chest. As a lefty who fought out of a conventional stance I love lead uppercuts. shovel hook, shovel hook, uppercut all thrown with the lead hand is a great combination. The shovel hooks bring his elbow down to protect the liver giving the uppercut a clear path.

The uppercut you seem to be describing what I would call a George Foreman uppercut, thrown with a bit of distance between the fighters and is used as a KO punch. It would never be thrown as a lead unless your opponent is already hurt or fights out of a deep crouch.

What I am describing is a Smoken Joe Frazier uppercut where he has his head planted against you, fires some hooks and does a slight pivot step to open just enough space for the left uppercut to fire through.

If you want to try that on the heavy bag you actually have to be so close you are leaning slightly into the bag with your gloves touching your cheeks and your elbows in tight touching your ribs.

Better yet test it against an uppercut bag.
    Last edited by m1k3; 03-23-2012 at 07:19 AM.
    Mike