Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2012 London Olympics

Hybrid View

Speaking of Judo...

...anyone see this and care to comment? I haven't watched any judo yet.
    Monday, July 30, 2012

Web of confusion: Masashi Ebinuma (in white) competes against South Korea's Cho Jun Ho in the quarterfinals of the men's 66-kg Olympic judo competition on Sunday. AP

Ebinuma judo quarterfinal ends in controversy
    Kyodo

LONDON — Reigning world champion Masashi Ebinuma reached the semifinals of the men's judo 66-kg competition after winning a controversial decision Sunday at the London Games.

There were, however, more tears of despair for Japan's women on the second day after Beijing Olympic bronze medalist Misato Nakamura crashed out in the women's 52-kg class, losing her first match in the second round to Beijing silver medalist An Kum Ae of North Korea.

A roar of boos rained out from a confused crowd when the three judges raised three blue flags in favor of South Korea's Cho Jun Ho following the overtime golden score, where Ebinuma's inner-thigh throw had been disallowed after further video inspection.

In what looked like a parody of "The Three Stooges," the three judges then overturned their initial ruling after a short conference, raising three white flags for Ebinuma.

Ebinuma, who won his first world championship in Paris last year, had too much weaponry for Canada's Sasha Mehmedovic in his first match, rattling off a hip and shoulder throw for yuko and waza-ari points before ending it in dramatic fashion with an inner-thigh sweep.

The 22-year-old Tochigi native outlasted Sergey Lim of Kazakhstan in a lung-busting second match, beating his opponent with a left-handed "seoinage" shoulder throw with 58 seconds remaining in the golden score period.

Ebinuma, a winner of three consecutive titles at the national invitational weight-class championships, was set to face Georgia's Lasha Shavdatuashvili in the semifinals.

Nakamura, the world champion in 2009 and 2011, could find no key openings against An, the same opponent she lost to in the semifinals at the Beijing Games.

An scored a waza-ari on an outer leg trip almost immediately, and Nakamura appeared to have scored waza-ari after 1 minute, 38 seconds, but it was changed to yuko after judges reviewed video. The Japanese judoka came within 10-2 on two shido against the North Korean.

"This has been a big miscalculation," said Japan women's coach Ryuji Sonoda. "Had things gone as planned, we would have had two (gold medals). At least we expected to have one. Having none at this point is a hard pill to swallow."

On Saturday, Hiroaki Hiraoka won the men's 60-kg silver, but tournament favorite Tomoko Fukumi saw her dream of Olympic gold shattered as she finished outside the medals in fifth place in the women's 48-kg class.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Video reply in judo *shakes head*...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Sanshou in 2016 Olympics?

Hi guys,

First post here and not sure if this has already been touched upon in another post, but I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about Sport Sanda (Sanshou) was being included in the 2016 Rio de Jeneiro Olympic games? It kind of sounds like a rumor or a hoped for thing, but if anyone could confirm, I'd be pretty ecstatic about it!

Thanks

There was an announcement last year, but it was quickly retracted.
    Although of course...... http://swindonkungfu.blogspot.co.uk/...-olympics.html
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Wasn't it a demonstration sport in the Beijing games? Or was that Wushu? I was just thinking it would be a great addition meself...you could get K1 and Muay Thai fighters as well...MMA is so huge right now, I wouldn't mind even seeing BJJ as another grappling sport as well.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

No, they (in direct violation of IOC rules) held a Wushu tournament at the same time as the Olympics.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Jamaican Sprint Team: Steroids???

Greetings,

I have been following the track competition with great excitement. One thing that I have noticed with two people from the Jamaican track team, Usain Bolt and Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce, is their sudden association with the consumption of yams as explanation for their improved track performance. This was never done before. When steroids first came out it was called wild yam extract. The association of these two athletes with "yams" makes me feel very uneasy with their victories.

I hope I am wrong about this.

mickey

The testing is quite strict these days and is even more scrutinized in the track and field sports. I don't think Bolt has done any illegal PED's in the timeframe required to be considered cheating. Maybe he has in the past, maybe not, I dunno. One thing I am sure of today is that he passed the tests and his record will stand. After Ben Johnson, no runner wants to get caught like that. It's one thing to be kicked out for cheating at the worlds, or nationals, it's a whole different and much worse thing when you have you Olympic medals, records and standings erased after the fact. And it's done under the whole worlds dissapointed gaze. No runner will let that happen unless they are completely retarded.

I suppose a few who simply cannot qualify without cheating may come to the conclusion that it's worth it. Better to try and fail than to just not make it at all. But Bolt is different, drugs or not, this cat is a contender. Why would he put himself in the Ben Johnson position when he has a shot even without the dope? He sucks off the blocks but he just takes off at the 30 m mark and that's why people think he cheats, coz he usually comes from behind to win. Of course the odd time he does get a good start, nobody can touch him.

oh.... and they've been eating yams there forever... this is not new.

I used to train where Ben Johnson trained and saw how he and others trained.
    It was some serious freaking training.
    I has also seen how the Jamaican team currently trains and it is almost text book like what Ben used to.

RE: Drugs.
    There are performance enhancers and then there are "training enhancers" and steroids fall into the "training enhancers".
    The allow you to train harder and more because they speed up recovery while "stimulating" your body to increase lean muscle WITH the help of weight training.
    Stimulants and "dopping" are performance enhancers.

Over the last few decades we have seen quite a few elite athletes get caught with either PED or training enhancers.
    Why?
    Lets cut the naive crap for a moment shall we?

They freaking work and there is NO way you get to elite level, having to train like they do, without them.

Period.

They are "SOP" in pro sports and in Olympic sports.

Yes, testing has gotten better BUT so have masking agents and so has the science of "cycling".

If an athelete gets caught nowadays it is usally because they F'ed up on one of the protocols.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I used to train where Ben Johnson trained and saw how he and others trained.
    It was some serious freaking training.
    I has also seen how the Jamaican team currently trains and it is almost text book like what Ben used to.

RE: Drugs.
    There are performance enhancers and then there are "training enhancers" and steroids fall into the "training enhancers".
    The allow you to train harder and more because they speed up recovery while "stimulating" your body to increase lean muscle WITH the help of weight training.
    Stimulants and "dopping" are performance enhancers.

Over the last few decades we have seen quite a few elite athletes get caught with either PED or training enhancers.
    Why?
    Lets cut the naive crap for a moment shall we?

They freaking work and there is NO way you get to elite level, having to train like they do, without them.

Period.

They are "SOP" in pro sports and in Olympic sports.

Yes, testing has gotten better BUT so have masking agents and so has the science of "cycling".

If an athelete gets caught nowadays it is usally because they F'ed up on one of the protocols.
    What he said.

Do people actually believe that elite athletes don't use them just because they pass their tests? You HAVE to use them if you want to compete at the elite level.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb