Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Olympics

[QUOTE=Hebrew Hammer;1182398]Jim Thorpe definitely has to be under consideration, an Olympic legend. If I recall a he played college football too?
    ----

Individual event recirds broken- but look at his total achievements and skills.

Pentathlon, decathlon-you name it:

Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe (1887-1953).
    Born May 28, 1887, near Prague, Oklahoma.
    Tribal: Sac & Fox mother, Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma.
    Raised in Sac & Fox community.
    Indian Name: Wa-Tho-Huck (Bright Path)
    Education: Carlisle Industrial School, Pennsylvania.
    Nicknames: "World's Greatest Athlete".
    Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track & Field.
    Pro Football Hall of Fame: Inducted 1963.
    National Footbal League:
    • Charter president and founding member of the American Professional Football Conference (1920), which was renamed the National Football League in 1922.
    • Member of the Canton Bulldogs of Ohio League (1915-1919).
    • Played eight years in NFL: Bulldogs (1920, 1926); Cleveland Indians (1921); Oorang Indians (1922-1923); Toledo Maroons (1923); Rock Island Independents (1924); New York Giants (1925); Chicago Cardinals (1928).

Would now be a good time to remember Phelps smoked pot?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Who says Judo guys don't know how to party?
    Delpopolo ban nonsensical
    PETE IORIZZO, COMMENTARY
    Updated 7:27 a.m., Tuesday, August 7, 2012

United States' Nicholas Delpopolo looks on during the men's -73kg judo contest of the London 2012 Olympic Games on July 30, 2012 at the ExCel arena in London. AFP PHOTO / FRANCK FIFEFRANCK FIFE/AFP/GettyImages Photo: FRANCK FIFE / AL

Because he tested positive for marijuana, Burnt Hills grad Nick Delpopolo was booted from the Olympics, a penalty that only would make sense if either of the following were true:

-- Delpopolo's Olympic event were the Cheetos-eating competition.

-- A gold medal were awarded to the athlete who can recite the most lines from "Dude, Where's My Car?"

But since I can't think of any way a pot brownie would enhance Delpopolo's performance in judo, the sport in which he placed seventh in his weight class July 30, I have to wonder:

What is the World Anti-Doping Agency smoking?

"I don't understand it," said Delpopolo's father, Dominic. "You know what? Most of those athletes do that stuff. I don't do it. I don't recommend it. But if you take the whole population, it's pretty normal."

When Delpopolo's test came back positive, he became of the first of more than 10,000 London athletes to flunk an in-competition test for a banned substance.

Some other banned substances include muscle-inflating testosterone and endurance-building EPO, drugs that skew the playing field.

But then there's marijuana, a performance inhibitor in all things, save the munchies. There's a reason the Cheech and Chong series didn't include "Feats of Olympic Glory."

Delpopolo released a statement Monday saying he inadvertently consumed the marijuana before he left for London. The pot, he said, had been baked into something he ate, a story many will consider ... um ... half-baked.

Even taking Delpopolo at his word, he bears a certain amount of responsibility. Elite athletes are near-maniacal about what goes into their bodies. Given most baked goods don't contain spinach or parsley, Delpopolo ought to have been more skeptical of whatever pot-infused product he was handed.

He seems to recognize as much, because his statement included an apology to the U.S. Olympic committee, his fans and teammates.

But this isn't a lesson WADA needed to teach him.

WADA's function should be to ensure our Games are played fairly by catching the cheaters, something Delpopolo most certainly is not.

The real shame is, the consequences of Delpopolo's positive test go beyond being disqualified from his first Games. He's now subject to worldwide ridicule for something he legally could do in Amsterdam, a six-hour train ride from London.

Before Monday, we knew Delpopolo mostly as a feel-good story: Born in Montenegro, he was adopted from an orphanage by Dominic and his wife, Joyce, who live in Westfield, N.J.

During high school, Delpopolo moved to Glenville to train with Jason Morris, a 1992 Olympic silver medalist.

Morris is a guy so strait-laced he doesn't have a drop of alcohol in his home. One of his pet peeves is teenagers chewing tobacco. If he caught of one of his younger students using marijuana, he'd call the students' parents and have an intervention.

Morris wouldn't criticize WADA testing for pot. He feels too strongly that kids shouldn't be using, anyway.

But he did note that a photo once surfaced of Michael Phelps taking a bong hit, a story line that faded as we grew more interested in his gold than his ganja.

The point: Young athletes do stupid things, like smoke pot.

"It shouldn't define them," Morris said.

It shouldn't get them kicked out of the Olympics, either — unless, of course, the event is a race to the bottom of a Cheetos bag.
    In contrast, Solomon has redeemed judo in the wake of Delpopolo.

Solomon: Judo star versus drunk fan; judo star wins

Unruly fans would be wise not to sit near judo star Edith Bosch. (Paul Sancya/Associated Press)

You have probably heard about this already, but I was late to the news because I was working like crazy yesterday – four stadiums, three stories, two radio interviews, one TV appearance, 19 hours on the clock.

Edith Bosch is now on my short list of favorite athletes from these Games.

The world champion and judo bronze medalist delivered some shots that almost all sports fans have wanted to see done at some point or another.

She beat up some clown, who almost ruined the biggest race at the Olympics.

I was at the men’s 100-meter dash Sunday night, but as I was seated at the finish line (if I were any closer than this, I’d have to put on tights and enter a race), I completely missed a bottle-throwing incident.

This drunken yob (gotta add that word to my vocabulary) had been making a nuisance of himself all evening, then he hurled a bottle onto the track while the runners were in their blocks.

Bosch was so upset at this knucklehead that she put a quick whipping on him before the police came in and dragged him away.

She posted this about the incident on Twitter.

“Een dronken gast voor mij gooit een flesje op de baan!! IK HEB HEM GESLAGEN…. Ongelofelijk!! #boos #respectloos “

Hilarious. Way to go girl.

Oh, not hip to Dutch? Sorry about that.

For you English speakers:

“A drunken guest threw a bottle on the track! I have beaten him … unbelievable!”

Who wouldn’t want to have her sitting in their section at a football game? Other than the drunks, that is.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1182401]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Jim Thorpe definitely has to be under consideration, an Olympic legend. If I recall a he played college football too?
    ----

Individual event recirds broken- but look at his total achievements and skills.

Pentathlon, decathlon-you name it:

Jacobus Franciscus "Jim" Thorpe (1887-1953).
    Born May 28, 1887, near Prague, Oklahoma.
    Tribal: Sac & Fox mother, Sac & Fox Nation, Oklahoma.
    Raised in Sac & Fox community.
    Indian Name: Wa-Tho-Huck (Bright Path)
    Education: Carlisle Industrial School, Pennsylvania.
    Nicknames: "World's Greatest Athlete".
    Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track & Field.
    Pro Football Hall of Fame: Inducted 1963.
    National Footbal League:
    • Charter president and founding member of the American Professional Football Conference (1920), which was renamed the National Football League in 1922.
    • Member of the Canton Bulldogs of Ohio League (1915-1919).
    • Played eight years in NFL: Bulldogs (1920, 1926); Cleveland Indians (1921); Oorang Indians (1922-1923); Toledo Maroons (1923); Rock Island Independents (1924); New York Giants (1925); Chicago Cardinals (1928).
    OK I'm sold!!! All bow to the great Jim Thorpe! I wonder if there will ever be another in modern athletics.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Jim Thorpe!!!

WTF?!?!

How soon you all forget

This is the greatest Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    WTF?!?!

How soon you all forget

This is the greatest Olympian.
    ok bro. somehow your argument is very convincing. you have swayed me.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Since when is Pot a performance enhancing drug?

Remember kids they don't call it 'dope' for nothing. Who really cares about pot? Is it any more dangerous than drinking?

Let me put this disclaimer out there, I don't like pot and I even hate talking with someone who is stoned more, but I'm also done with war on drugs. What a waste of resources, testing, prosecuting and jailing marijuana offenders. We should be taxing them. Sorry, had to get on my soapbox, back on topic!

That Aussie is a hottie but we'll see about her qualifications over dinner and drinks.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

I think we need to make a distinction

There's the greatest Olympian of all time. Then there are the hottest Olympians.

And then, there are the Olympic stoners

And then there is Phelps

Michael Phelps: Greatest Olympian Ever (Who Also Happened to Smoke Pot)
    Posted: 08/03/2012 11:55 am

News outlets across the world are reporting about Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps' feat of breaking the record for the most medals ever won by an Olympian. On Thursday night he won his record twentieth career Olympic medal. But the road to being the world's greatest swimmer did not come easy.

In February of 2009, 23-year-old Michael Phelps apologized for his youthful indiscretion when he was caught on camera at a party smoking a bong that allegedly contained marijuana. The party took place three months after the Olympics while he was taking a break from training after he had won 8 gold medals. It is not clear how often Phelps indulged in the consumption of marijuana. But common sense tells me it was not the first time. At that time the Associated Press reported that Phelps said:

I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again.

It seems that his apology was accepted by most Americans and majority of his corporate sponsors stood by him. The damage to his career was minimal when he was slapped with a three-month suspension from USA Swimming and his face was removed from the Kellogg's cereal box. But Phelps made a point then that reached well-beyond a box of Corn Flakes when he revealed to the world that smoking marijuana did not affect his ability to excel. Millions of Americans are recreational drug users who use drugs responsibly and lead normal lives. Phelps could be a testament to this, even though he might not admit it in fear of the repercussions that come along with telling the truth. Because of the war on drugs and its zero-tolerance policy, the truth sometimes becomes buried because of the stigma that is attached to being an drug user.

There might be a question in defining if Phelps can be considered a recreational user if he only used during extended breaks from his training. We have no way of knowing his drug use beyond the one incident mentioned above, but for the sake of argument, if Phelps could be considered a recreational user, he would be a high-profile example of people who engage in recreational drug use and suffer no adverse effects -- other than exposing themselves to criminal penalties due to drug prohibition. It may be true that some people struggle with drug addiction and sadly for the most part they are treated like criminals instead of being treated like people with medical problems.

Another example of recreational drug use gone wrong occurred in 2009 when Cy Young award winner Tim Lincecum was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession of three grams in Washington State when he was stopped by a cop while driving and caught with marijuana and a pipe. Luckily, he was not suspended and following that season, Lincecum was named Sporting News National League Pitcher of the Year for the second-consecutive year.

Recreational drug users, and people wrestling with addiction everywhere, are routinely demonized by the moral majority who refuse to recognize that the criminal sanctions for using illegal drugs is in itself totally immoral.

Michael Phelps is an American hero who proved to the world that people who smoke or have smoked marijuana can be functional and successful in their lives. Maybe the record 20 medals he has won will lead the way to a change in the way people think about recreational drug use.
    Also worthy of note - Ryan Lochte's favorites:
    Favorite movie: Cheech and Chong’s Up in Smoke (uh-oh!)
    Favorite TV show: The Simpsons
    Wonder if his favorite food is Cheetos...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seriously, make Phelps an example that smoking pot is "OK" is like using Michael Myers as an example to show how important it is to keep a knife sharp.

Being successful IN SPITE of something is NOT an advocacy for that something.

Many athletes use pot to relax and unwind and to help in the recovery process from intense workouts.
    Many do NOT.
    I've know a few people that function perfectly fine on pot and others that are unfunctioning idiots.

Who gives a flying ****?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

545 pounds in the clean and jerk for the Olympic gold by an Iranian 22 year old. Silver- another Iranian.

Iran also won the most golds in greco this time around, three to russias 2, first time they have beaten them at the games

Somehow think the russians will still dominate the freestyle though

Ouch

Now this has gotta hurt.

Weightlifter Matthias Steiner Drops 196kg On Head At London 2012 Olympics
    The Huffington Post UK | By Samuel Luckhurst Posted: 08/08/2012 09:58 Updated: 08/08/2012 12:21

Losing your title may be painful, but rarely in the literal sense. For Beijing Olympic weightlifting champion Matthias Steiner, it really was at London 2012.

While trying to lift a staggering 196kg with his second lift, the Austrian-born weightlifter buckled under the weight and the bar crashed down onto his head and neck.

The Viennese bowed out and did not return to lift the weight for a third occasion.

Steiner has represented Germany since 2005, and the country's Olympic Committee spokesman Michael Vesper said Steiner confirmed he was taken to hospital but was not seriously injured.
    I'm almost more impressed that he survived this unharmed than I would be if he successfully lifted it.

Follow the link below for a vid.
    Worst Olympic Dive: Stephan Feck's London Flop Goes Viral (VIDEO)
    The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski Posted: 08/07/2012 5:03 pm Updated: 08/08/2012 12:10 pm

Stephan Feck probably didn't plan on finishing last in the men's 3-meter springboard diving preliminaries, but he most certainly did not plan on his dive becoming an Internet viral sensation, earning the title of "Worst Olympic Dive."

Feck's embarrassing performance at the Aquatics Centre will likely go down as one of the worst flops of the 2012 London Olympics.

The German competitor's dive seemed like it had solid momentum when Feck first catapulted off the springboard. However, the athlete's hand soon slipped from his thigh, causing him to lose his tuck and land smack on his back in a devastating, backward bellyflop.

Feck failed to qualify, finishing dead last with a score of 133.80. This score put him 167.65 points behind the second-to-last diver. The dive, a forward 3 1/2 somersault and his second of the round, garnered nothing but zeroes from the judges.

"So what the Feck happened?" SB Nation's Ryan Hudson asked. "Quite simply, he performed one of the worst dives ever in Olympic competition... but made himself forever Internet famous."

Headlines did not spare the athlete, either.

The Herald Sun crowed "German Stephan Feck complete dive disaster at Games" while the Mirror went with "Oh Feck! German diver Stephan Feck causes waves with back-slapping dive."

Feck was probably quite sore after his major mishap. Australian rookie Ethan Warren told the Sydney Morning Herald that a fumbled dive can leave some bruises. "It depends how you hit the water, really," he told SMH. "You get this big sort of burning, stinging sensation. A bit of bruising, some blood vessels can pop, but overall that's sport."

Nevertheless, Feck did earn Internet fame -- and some pity.

"We thought this unorthodox attempt was a charming way to break the monotony of seeing every dive performed to perfection. Alas, this whimsy was lost on the judges," wrote Yahoo! Sports writer Greg Wyshynski. "But hey, in the end, the dude still made the Olympics. He probably doesn't give a Feck ..."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More agony of defeat

Notable Quotables from NBC Coverage

1. Women's weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria...... I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

2. Dressage commentator: "This is a really lovely horse and I speak from personal experience... since I once mounted her mother."

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them were really that serious."

5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah-h, isn't that nice.... the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

8. Men's soccer commentator: "Julian ****s is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven ****s on the field."

9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final rounds, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh My God, what have I just said.....?"

hammer that is freaking funny man, thx for posting that.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

That was good, HH

Hold the phone. USA has a shot at a gold in boxing tomorrow?
    Claressa Shields earns shot at gold
    Updated: August 8, 2012, 12:54 PM ET
    Associated Press

LONDON -- The newest American boxing sensation is a ****y teenager with heavy hands, fleet feet and a serious mean streak.

And just like Cassius Clay, Joe Frazier and Oscar De La Hoya before her, Claressa Shields is about to fight for a gold medal.

The 17-year-old middleweight dominated Kazakhstan's Marina Volnova in the semifinals of the first Olympic women's boxing tournament Wednesday, earning a spot in the title bout against Russia's Nadezda Torlopova.

After pounding away at the slower Volnova for most of the 29-15 fight, Shields pounded her taped right fist against her own left shoulder and screamed with joy. The London crowd loved Shields' combination of charisma, skill and strength -- a familiar formula for so many U.S. Olympic boxers over the years, but not lately.

"I'm still kind of shocked," Shields said. "I'm thinking in my head, 'Is it really true? Am I fighting for a gold medal tomorrow?' "

Shields is the last American boxer left in London after flyweight Marlen Esparza lost 10-8 to Chinese world champion Ren Cancan an hour earlier. Ren will fight Britain's Nicola Adams for the flyweight title, while Irish world champion lightweight Katie Taylor also advanced with another strong performance, moving into the championship bout Thursday against Russia's Sofya Ochigava.

Esparza will get a bronze medal, but Shields is the 12-member American team's only shot at gold. All nine men were eliminated in stunning fashion, leaving the winningest team in Olympic history without a medal for the first time.

Shields could give USA Boxing a much-needed boost. The ebullient teenager from Flint, Mich., is one of the sport's fastest-rising stars.

Less than two years after emerging on the American amateur scene, she won her second bout in three days with punishing right hands and relentless aggression, forcing Volnova to take a standing-eight count in each of the last two rounds after she was stunned by vicious combinations.

Shields laughed with joy at the verdict and raised both arms sky-high as she walked to the tunnel after beating up an opponent that wasn't much trouble for her, just as she predicted Monday.

"I was able to put my combinations together, land a lot of clean shots, punch straight," Shields said. "I took the best of her shots and made her miss a lot. I did what I wanted to do with her."

While Shields punched holes in Volnova's defense, Esparza found Ren impenetrable.

Ren's cautious defensive style in her win over the livelier Esparza got the U.S. off to an inauspicious start. The crowd finally got into it when Adams beat Mary Kom of India 11-6, and the ExCel arena turned raucous for Taylor, the Irish world titleholder and pound-for-pound champion of the women's sport.

Taylor didn't disappoint, dominating Tajikistan's impressive teenager, Mavzuna Chorieva. But Taylor didn't impress Ochigava, her longtime nemesis and gold-medal opponent, who said fighters "begin with minus-10 points" against the wildly popular Irish star.

Esparza gamely tried to force Ren into a fight, but the Chinese champion sat back dispassionately and threw counterpunches that scored just enough points to win. Ren's rigid strategy and Esparza's attempts to wait her out earned warnings for both fighters in each of the first three rounds for not throwing enough punches.

Esparza broke down in the fighters' tunnel after the bout, but soon turned her analytical skills on the only opponent who has ever beaten her in two straight meetings.

"It's as boring to me as it is to you," Esparza said. "Everybody can't stand it, but it works. ... I thought I did everything I could do. We knew she wasn't going to commit -- ever -- so the game plan was just to not go forward. When I did go forward, that was when I got caught."

Esparza, the 23-year-old veteran, insists she'll follow through on her plan to retire from boxing and go to college, even though she would still be younger than many of the world's current top amateurs when the Rio Games roll around in 2016.

"My body is falling apart already," she said with a grin. "I'm in sports medicine four hours a day."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips