Thread: Special ID

Hybrid View

Special ID

Donnie vs. Vincent. I'm down for this. I've always thought Vincent was underrated as a martial arts star.
    Yen, Zhao collaborate on action movie
    CRI, January 20, 2012

Actors Donnie Yen (right) and Vincent Zhao promote the film "Special Identity" ("Te Shu Shen Fen") in Beijing on Thursday, January 19, 2012. [Photo: mtime.com]

Donnie Yen says he feels excited about his first collaboration with fellow action star Vincent Zhao in the new film "Special Identity" ("Te Shu Shen Fen").

"We never worked together before, although I really appreciate his talent," Yen told reporters who gathered at a Beijing hotel on Thursday to mark the commencement of filming.

"Vincent and I will do some great action scenes," added Yen, who is also the movie's action director.

Vincent Zhao also believes the action scenes are highlights, adding, "Also expect lots of breathtaking car-racing scenes."

The actors didn't mention the movie's storyline.

Donnie Yen's notable films include "Ip Man", "14 Blades" and "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen", while Vincent Zhao's most famous character is the kung fu hero Wong Fei-hung, whom he portrayed for both film and TV.

"Special Identity" is being directed by Clarence Fok. The cast also includes Zhang Hanyu and Jing Tian.

The movie is scheduled for release this November.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Update

Donnie Yen helms new action movie
    Updated: 2012-02-01 07:54
    (China Daily)

Kungfu stars Donnie Yen and Vincent Zhao star in Special Identity, which is in production, with Yen as producer and choreographer.

Zhao has a foot injury and needs an operation but says he has postponed this to work with Yen.

The plot is a secret, but the actors say it will be a "stylish action film set in a metropolitan city".

Rising actress Jing Tian also joins the team for her first action film.

The crew includes Peter Pao, Oscar-winning cinematographer of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and Bruce Lam, a veteran Hong Kong stuntman.
    Looking promising
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

donnie yen finally back to doing modern stuff....yay!!!

trouble on the set?

Andy On Replacing Vincent Zhao In Donnie Yen's SPECIAL IDENTITY?
    by Hugo Ozman, February 29, 2012 5:33 AM

Donnie Yen's latest action movie SPECIAL IDENTITY, for which he is the producer, action director and main actor, started filming in Shenzhen just a month ago. However, there are new reports from Hong Kong that co-star Vincent Zhao (TRUE LEGEND, THE BLADE) has become unhappy about changes made to the original script and refused to keep shooting as a result.

This has been confirmed by Donnie Yen's spokesperson, who stated that Yen remains very keen to continue working with Zhao and negotiation is taking place while the filming is put on hold. It appears that Zhao and the film crew have not come to an agreement despite having had a formal meeting on Monday; and in the worst scenario, Zhao will be replaced by another actor. Andy On (THE VIRAL FACTOR, THE LOST BLADESMAN) looks to be the most likely candidate to replace Zhao if that was to happen.

On the other hand, Vincent Zhao's management company has denied reports that he is having conflicts with the film crew but gone on to emphasise that it is standard policy in the film industry that any changes to the script need prior approval by the film's actors.
    Vincent no feud with Donnie
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! NewsroomBy Mitchell Wong | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo! Newsroom – 11 hours ago

1 Mar – It seems that the rumours about Harbin-born actor Vincent Zhao being upset with Guangzhou-bred actor-producer Donnie Yen regarding Yen's production "Dut Shu Sun Fun" (Special Identity) script changes are untrue, according to TVB News World.

A statement was issued to the media by Zhao's company to clear up the issue, stating that the "True Legend" star was definitely not upset with Yen or the film's crew, and adding that as an industrial rule, an actor's agreement is necessary for any script changes, as stated in the contract.

Moreover, the actor had remained on the filming set in Shenzhen and had not returned to Beijing as reported by the press.

The story goes that Zhao was so unhappy with Yen for making the changes that when Yen, who also stars in the film, tried to personally contact Zhao, the 40-year-old, best known for playing Wong Fei-hung in "Once Upon a Time in China" had refused to pick up the phone or accept any work order from him.

It was also reported that Zhao had treated seven assistants unfairly as well, but the report was brushed off as there were no evidence that such a number of assistants were with Zhao.

The Chinese media have been told to issue an apology and correction statement regarding Zhao's reputation, which had been tainted by both these allegations. Any refusal or inaction will result in legal action.
    It's all buzz. It's all good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

bummer

so much for that.

Chiu Mun Cheuk leaves Donnie Yen film
    Updated 05:15 PM Mar 05, 2012
    BEIJING - Chinese action star Vincent Chiu Mun Cheuk announced yesterday that he will no longer be part of the Donnie Yen-produced modern-day action film Special Identity, because the production team had flouted the terms of his contract and often unilaterally revised the script, reported Chinese media.

Speaking to reporters at a press conference in Beijing, Chiu, who had appeared in numerous martial arts films like Once Upon A Time In China IV and True Legend, explained that the Special Identity production team had "breeched the contractual terms by unilaterally changing the contents of the script".

He went on to insist that his departure from the project "is not due to any wrongdoing on my part" and that he had not fallen out with Yen as some media reports claimed.

However, the film's production team maintained that they had no choice but to cut Chiu from the film, because he had put forth excessive demands and exhibited a poor attitude while shooting the film.

In response to media queries about the controversy surrounding his film, Yen, who both produces and appears in Special Identity, expressed yesterday that he believed Chiu could have handled the matter better.

"I went with his agent to persuade him (Chiu) when I heard about the matter, but unfortunately, it failed. I feel that there were some areas which Chiu did not handle well.

"Making a film is a team effort. Even though I admire him a lot, I cannot go against this principle. In the end, I have to respect the decision of the production team and the investors," said Yen of Chiu's exit from the project.

"Script changes occur very often. If the changes are reasonable, it can improve the whole film. It isn't something that can't be talked over."

Hong Kong actor Andy On will replace Chiu in Special Identity.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Then it got nasty

Donnie Yen to Sue Vincent Zhao for Slander
    2012-03-20 12:20:02 China.org.cn Web Editor: Sun
    Actor Donnie Yen will sue Vincent Zhao for slander, according to reports by Hong Kong media.

Yen made a statement on Sunday that the discontinued partnership with Zhao was the decision of the investors of "Special Identity." Yen said Zhao distorted the truth in interviews, claiming that he was forced out by Yen. Yen said it was a malicious act of slander, which Zhao used to promote himself.

Yen said he will sue Zhao for damaging his reputation, and that he reserved the right to pursue monetary damages.

"I am rather disappointed by Vincent Zhao's words," Yen said. "If I had made a mistake, it would have been my insistence in casting him in the movie. I have no energy to entangle myself in this issue. My lawyer has started on the case."

He added he and Zhao may never work together again.

The production crew of "Special Identity" announced on Feb. 29 that Zhao had officially stepped away from the film, disappointing fans hotly anticipating the collaboration between the two kung fu superstars. In a media interview published on March 15, Zhao blasted Yen for allegedly diminishing his lead role in the script. He said the film producers announced his removal also without prior discussions with him.

Yen is known for portraying Bruce Lee's master in the "Ip Man" movie franchise. Zhao starred in popular Hong Kong action film, "True Legend" (2010).

Zhao and wife Zhang Danlu attended a friend's wedding on Sunday and was asked about the indictment. His managers company said they could not comment on the case because of ongoing negotiations and confidential business agreements.
    Lawyers.
    They should just have it out with a kung fu duel.
    That would probably make a better film plot than the rehashed stuff we're seeing now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i agree with you gene 100% lets just put them on a lei tai and have it out.

This turn of events would make a cool new plot point in a movie. Add more motivation for the onscreen fights. hmmmm.....

Opened on Friday

"Special ID" has some great action sequences but also many shortcomings.

"Special ID" has some great action scenes but doesn't have a properly fleshed out storyline or characters.

"Special ID" favours street brawls and MMA-style fighting over the balletic action in traditional martial arts films.

SINGAPORE: “Special ID” follows undercover cop Chen Zilong (Donnie Yen) as he struggles to destroy the criminal organisation he has infiltrated before his cover is blown.

But things get complicated when crime lord Xiong (Collin Chou) begins to doubt Chen’s loyalty to the gang, and sends him on a mission to recover cargo stolen by Chen’s former underling Sunny (Andy On), who has grown into a ruthless criminal willing to kill to get to the top.

Aided by Chinese police officer Fang Jing (Jing Tian), Chen embarks on one final mission to crack the case and leave the underworld behind.

Helmed by Hong Kong director Clarence Fok, “Special ID” is the third film in action star Donnie Yen’s pseudo-trilogy of films after 2005’s “Killzone – S.P.L” and 2007’s “Flashpoint”, which focus heavily on Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) brawling as well as urban street fighting.

Unlike most Chinese action films today, “Special ID” doesn’t just focus on punches and kicks but also MMA-style grappling.

What really sets the film apart is the sheer rawness of the fights.

In contrast with the balletic movements of traditional Chinese martial arts films, there is no finesse or artistry in “Special ID”.

There is just pure brawling, which sees Chen attempt to do as much damage to his opponents in as short an amount of time as possible.

Yen, who is also the film’s action director, managed to showcase a wide variety of MMA-style chokes and bone-crunching holds in the film, giving a fresh twist to traditional fight scenes that tend to have a heavy emphasis on strikes.

Watch only for the action

The film’s set pieces, like Chen’s massive fight in a cramped steamboat restaurant against over twenty punks, are so good they are destined for repeat viewings over YouTube years after the film is released.

But that’s about all the film has to offer – great action.

“Special ID” doesn’t have the tightest of storylines, and the odd-couple romance between Fang and Chen seems shoe-horned into the storyline.

Questions about Sunny’s motivations and why Chen decided to go undercover have also been left unanswered, resulting in them being rather two-dimensional characters.

The acting is pretty much average though veteran action star Collin Chou was spot on as the menacing crime boss Xiong.

Another thing that dragged down the film was Yen’s gratingly bad Mandarin.

While it is endearing at first to hear his Hong Kong accent shine through, it becomes really annoying as the film goes on.

When it comes to “Special ID”, it all boils down to what the viewer is looking for.

Those who want raw, unadulterated action will not be disappointed, but those who want an action film with some semblance of a storyline may prefer to watch something else, or even re-watch the excellent “Killzone - S.P.L” instead.

Just remember to catch the amazing action sequences in "Special ID" when they inevitably end up on YouTube.

3/5 stars.

“Special ID” opens October 18.
    Looking for that first forum review.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another review...

...but not from a forum member.

Special ID (特殊身份) review
    Daniel Rutledge 3 News Online Reporter
    Friday 18 Oct 2013 10:09a.m.

Donnie Yen, Tian Jing and Andy On in Special ID poster art
    3.5/ 5 stars

Donnie Yen is a hero of modern martial arts movies. The numerous trailers for his latest film, Special ID, promised amazing action built primarily on the sort of tight, gorgeous fight choreography that made Yen the star he is.

On this promise it mostly delivers, although it's not quite as satisfying as I had hoped.

The story follows Yen as an undercover cop in a fairly generic Chinese gangster tale with a story that is functional enough, but in no way exciting. That said, plot is strictly relegated to the passenger seat in an action film as intent on delivering high-octane thrills as this one. And it does deliver them well, even if not quite up to the high expectations I had going in.

Yen, who also choreographs the fights, fuses a variety of MMA techniques into them, of course with a lot of kung fu flair. The result is a beautiful combination of brutal styles that make the hand-to-hand combat consistently entertaining. The fistfights are vicious, although there are no bone-breaking or fatal maneuvers.

As far as Donnie Yen fight films go, this is one of the better ones, but there's nothing in it quite as amazing as his battle against 10 karate black belts in Ip Man or the final fight in Flashpoint. Yen's co-stars all work together well, with Tian Jing and Andy On both being particularly impressive.

In addition to the fistfights, there is some impressive stunt work, a deliciously suspenseful haircutting scene and a little gunplay to enjoy. The most action fan gratification comes via an extended car chase sequence that includes a stunning fistfight in and on a moving vehicle, at times remarkably reminiscent of a scene in Kick Ass 2 but leaving that ugly CG mess for dead. It's great.

Yen's screen presence in the lead is super cool. I'd love to hang out with this guy and go tenpin bowling or something. He and his co-stars bring the odd bit of humour to the film, somewhat surprising given the serious tone suggested in the trailers. Added laughs come, as they often do, via the subtitles, with cute use of the word 'rascal' and a random "#NAME" popping up every now and then.

All in all, Special ID is a solid movie. There's nothing too mind-blowing in it, but if you're in the mood for a fun action film highlighted with sweet-as fight scenes and a kick-ass car chase, this is definitely worth the ticket price.

Three-and-a-half stars.

Special ID (特殊身份)
    :: Director: Clarence Fok Yiu-leung
    :: Starring: Donnie Yen, Collin Chou, Tian Jing, Zhigang Yang, Andy On, Hanyu Zhang
    :: Running Time: 99 mins
    :: Rating: R16 - Violence and offensive language
    :: Release Date: October 17, 2013

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ooooh, let's not forget the scandalous stuff

Donnie Yen on feud with Vincent Zhao on set

Vincent Zhao(L) and Donnie Yen
    Jocelyn Lee
    The New Paper
    Friday, Oct 25, 2013

The drama surrounding martial arts star Donnie Yen's latest action film Special ID continues.

Last year, actor Vincent Zhao pulled out during filming. Zhao, 41, claimed that Yen was demanding and difficult to work with and changed the script without seeking his approval, leading to many of his scenes being removed. Special ID is showing here.

Yen, 50, did not comment on the issue until recently in Guangzhou, where he was promoting the cop film.

1 CAN YOU TALK ABOUT THE FEUD BETWEEN YOU AND VINCENT ZHAO ON SET?

As a producer, I approached him to film the movie, but the company wasn't agreeable because the management found him to be very difficult to work with.

Even after he left the movie, I went to beg him personally and tried to ask him to stay, but to no avail. I can't believe so much drama ensued after that. It's such a huge insult to me.

2 HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT ZHAO CALLING YOU A "SCENE HOG"?

I was sick and injured while filming this movie and only slept three hours a day. I didn't even get to see my family members for a few months. If he calls me a "scene hog" because of that, I admit it. However, if he is simply playing the victim and calling me that to gain sympathy votes, I do not agree with him.

3 WILL YOU STILL WORK WITH ZHAO?

I've never stood out to reprimand Vincent because I don't want the incident to snowball. What is most disappointing is that this issue has led to so many unnecessary rumours and dilemmas. I don't think we will work together again and I feel that he owes everyone involved an apology.

4 WILL YOU FORGIVE HIM IF HE APOLOGISES TO YOU?

It shouldn't be only an apology to me but an apology to many innocent people who were involved, such as our friends and wives. Shooting a film is a group collaboration. I have made movies for 31 years. I have never seen something like this happen.
    Donnie Yen wants Tan Bing out from showbiz
    From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo NewsroomBy Heidi Hsia | From Cinema Online Exclusively for Yahoo Newsroom – Tue, Oct 22, 2013

22 Oct – He may be a little forgiving when talking about fellow martial arts actor Vincent Zhao who had had a conflict with the "Special ID" team last year, but the same cannot be said about director Tan Bing, who accused Donnie of plagiarising his script.

As reported on Wenweipo, while speaking to the media at the promotional event of the said movie on 18 October, Donnie exclaimed, "He is an undesirable man in the film industry. The entertainment world should not let these kinds of people to exist."

Last year, Tan Bing held several press conferences against Donnie Yen, accusing him and the production company of plagiarising his script for "Ultimate Codebreaker" to make "Special ID". He also accused Donnie of other things including seizing Jacky Chan's producer role after knowing that the latter would not be starring in the film, and declined Han Geng from joining the set due to the latter's popularity.

The actor, who has filed a lawsuit against the director, denied the allegations of plagiarism, saying, "The storyline in "Special ID" is unique and different than that of Tan Bing's "Ultimate Codebreaker". The complaint was filed against the film company, but he spoke ill of me in front of the media. What does it have to do with me?"

He also added angrily that Tan Bing had lost the lawsuit but told the public that the final results were undecided.

However, the actor was still philosophical about his issues, saying, "Everybody wakes up to face different problems. It's all about how you plan to solve them. No matter if you choose the easy or the hard way out, you still have to pay the price."
    Anyone know anything more on Ultimate Codebreaker?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

getting tons of mixed reviews from friends on this..i might watch it on stream tonight... im nervous..lol

First forum member review!

SI is a postcard from HK and Nanhai, showing modern China in it's disheveled glory. Donnie is a deep undercover cop wannabe in the triads - a 'special ID'. He has to work with a PRC hottie cop in Nanhai. There's some quick dialog changes from Cantonese from Mandarin which add to the relationship and humor of the situation. Collin Chou is one of the evil gangsters.

The first Chinatown DVD I saw was HD, but it crashed half way through, just long enough to get me interested. The version I watched was a little stuttery, and the sound was like a half second ahead of the action, and there was a weird ad just before the first fight with a really young Chinese girl in a bikini pushing a website. And it turned out that the first version mixed up the order of some of the scenes, so I had a slightly distorted conception of the story. It was funny to get that all sorted. It's a good case against Chinatown DVDs.

Of course, I got a better version later but the resolution wasn't nearly as clear. The action is top notch. Great fights. Donnie against the gangs. Awesome ultravi. Bloody. Kitchen knives, shovels, beating down the masses, heavy MMA influence so lots of arm bars and RNCs. There's a fun car chase. The overall plot was ok, a bit sappy, but tolerable. I was entertained but it probably isn't worth a 2nd watching, especially seeing how I've already seen half of it twice, in the wrong order no less.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips