So you run an activist group and one of your members is accused of striking a girl in a wheelchair on a NYC sidewalk followed by an altercation with the girl's father.

Normal PR reaction: We do not condone violence and if any inappropriate act was committed by our membership we in no way support or excuse it. For the time being, though, we are reserving judgment until all the fact are revealed about the incident in question.

Truther PR reaction: The girl's father was using his daughter a weapon against our members as part of a wider plot to discredit us!

A mentally ill man becomes obsessed with your group's 9/11 conspiracy message and opens fire on Pentagon security officials, apparently in an effort to lash out at the "real" 9/11 conspirators.

Normal PR reaction: We in no way condone this horrible act of violence and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded officers. Clearly this man was mentally ill and it's unfortunate that he chose to associate with our peaceful group.

Truther PR reaction: We must seriously entertain the notion that this was yet another false flag attack. This man was probably put up to it somehow by the government as a way of making the truth movement look insane - which we're totally not as you can tell by our take on the situation.

Your most celebrated "expert" on structural engineering reveals that she thinks beam weapons destroyed the WTC. A few years later your top scientist says he's looking into whether the Haitian earthquake was man-made.

Normal PR reaction: ****...we gotta be more careful with who we place our trust in. It's been a painfull lesson for us, but it will only sharpen our ability to spot such idiots in the future.

Truther PR reaction: Clearly Judy Wood and Steven Jones are disinfo agents whose task has been to undermine the TM from within! They started off with credible stuff about Kebler Elves and thermite bombs, but then, having gained our trust, they started talking shere nonsense.

In the midst of a conversation about WTC7, you find yourself unable to explain away the FDNY's support for the "official story." You patch up the holes in your theory by saying "the firefighters are paid off!"

Normal PR reaction: Sorry, that was pretty stupid, wasn't it? I simply didn't know what else to say because Abby had cornered me so badly. I actually do NOT think the FDNY was "paid off" and I'll get back to you when I've thought of an explanation that is slightly less insulting to the heroes of 9/11.

Truther PR reaction: "Jedi mind trick!"
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=169520