Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9 Continents in Chinese Mythology

I thought as much.

Good job. You look better than some of the students that trained directly under me.

Sifu Wing Lam is still my sifu and always will be. I just don't train directly under him anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

gene, you know just what to say

i am grinning ear-to-ear

it has always been a dream of mine to train under sifu lam (i once met him at a tournament in cali). so hearing that i've performed a routine from his system with some level of competence makes me feel like a giggly school girl (esp, when said comment is from the G-man, himself).

fyi, i got a whole series of em:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z6y1BWs-xs

Those are great, Krist!

Glad to know something from all the videos I've worked on (well over a 100 by now ) got through. Just goes to show you can learn from video. Sure, sure, it's always best to get instruction in person, but there's nothing wrong with learning video. Learn from every source available. Never be narrow in your research. I know plenty of students that learn from top notch masters and never even get it as well as you did there, Krist. Keep it up!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nice. thats a shaolin staff form? mos def northern. it looks familliar but i dont recognize the name. is that a form i would see alot in shaolin demos?

gene: thank you for your kind words; they most certainly motivational (esp for someone who has been training on his own for close to 10 years). i most certainly agree with you about checking sources. for any routine that i'm attempting to learn on my own, i always try to check myself compared to other performers and whatever books/videos i can find available. thank you, again.

syn: it's a fairly common beginner-to-midlevel routine. i've seen it done in a number of varities.

Syn7, read this whole thread - there's a link to more on this form

That's great, Krist. I don't practice those forms regularly any more but a lot of BSL is tattooed into my sinews. I don't remember the exact routines if you ask me cold, but I can reassemble them pretty quickly with a little rehearsal (and maybe a youtube hint or two ). If we ever cross paths face-to-face, I'd be happy to share any pointers, assuming you're still playing them.

Now back OT, speaking of Atlantis...err....I mean J-Lo's booty....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips