Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rogan

Hybrid View

Shawn is a bit over the top, but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Joe Rogan talks a lot of internet ****. But you know what? He's straight forward and if you've ever seen his comedy stuff he's pretty funny IMO.

I think his point was that practicing in a park doing patty cake play fighting does no one any good outside of being a social event.

I remember the gung fu group at the park when I was in the military. People would drive by making fun of them because they'd all be standing around smoking cigarettes in between form sets. None of them competed in anything, none of them pressure tested themselves, and none of them had any idea they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Now Shaun on the other hand is a bit out there...based on what I saw on the M-1 tryouts. But ya know what? He along with guy's like Alan Orr's crew are doing what other people only theorize about, and that's fighting.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

joe rogan vs Shawn Obasi

so if mr. joe rogan says wing chun and kung fu is useless,then he should be willing to put his money where his mouth is,and step up and fight this guy Shawn Obasi . a wing chun guy who is winning many fight in mma. as far as i know mr rogan has nver be in the ring himself.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-21-2011 at 05:55 PM.

I'd pay to see that **** in PPV!!

celebrity mma!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

umm rogan is a commentator not a fighter, Obasi is a low level fighter who will probably never be on the big stage after what happened last time he tried out for a big organisation

having said that Rogen competed in TKD, and is a black belt in BJJ, so who knows what would happen

a wing chun guy who is winning many fight in mma
    Pro record of 0-1 , and didn't start winning amateur fights until he started training at Alliance BJJ. Indeed, if you watch the few vids where he wins, it's superior jitz that does it.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    umm rogan is a commentator not a fighter, Obasi is a low level fighter who will probably never be on the big stage after what happened last time he tried out for a big organisation

having said that Rogen competed in TKD, and is a black belt in BJJ, so who knows what would happen

From what I can see Rogan is just bad around the mouth. He don't have the moxy to fight or he would be all up in it. Tatoos and all.
    Jackie Lee

UFC Joe Rogan says that Wing Chun Kung Fu is ineffective and a waste of time!

Has anyone seen this? I did not post this in the Wing Chun forum because it seems that Joe Rogan's comments were directed at all TCMA/TMAs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9L5v...h_response_rev

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Not seen this one before but his views on TMA are well known, and from his point of view can you blame him he is a product of his enviroment.

He was in the UFC from almost the start he has seen it evolve and from his point of view wheres TMA? who is repping it in his world (MMA) who is using trapping, open hand strikes standing locks etc

You might argue TMA doesnt want to fight in the cage which is fine, but he is looking at it from asports guy and competitive martial arts point of view

wing chun single handedly ruined kung fu in america

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    wing chun single handedly ruined kung fu in america
    I would correct you (as usual...lol) and say that unscrupulous fake sifus are the ones who have ruined kung fu in america and beyond. Just have look at the kung fu cluelessness in this very forum. This actually reflects what has happened in the world at large.

Not seen this one before but his views on TMA are well known, and from his point of view can you blame him he is a product of his enviroment.
    Actually I don't blame him, because like most people here who criticize the TCMAs here in this forum, he has never had proper genuine training in kung fu.

He was in the UFC from almost the start he has seen it evolve and from his point of view wheres TMA? who is repping it in his world (MMA) who is using trapping, open hand strikes standing locks etc
    Again, I understand this and I know his view is based on the limited world of sports MA and his very limited experience of TMAs - not unlike most people in this forum who criticize the TCMAs.

By the way, a Chow Gar Mantis kung fu brother of mine has knocked out a guy in the street with an open hand (palm) strike. It is easy when you know how.

In the Wing Chun lineage that I practice, with a curriculum that takes 6 to 8 years to complete, as opposed to "I am a sifu after two years" schools, one starts with a lot of fist strikes and conditioning in the earlier parts of the training. As one advances more and more open hand (as well as claw) strikes are used.

Food for thought!

You might argue TMA doesnt want to fight in the cage which is fine, but he is looking at it from asports guy and competitive martial arts point of view
    Agreed. Sports tournaments are only one facet of the immense world of the martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    Actually I don't blame him, because like most people here who criticize the TCMAs here in this forum, he has never had proper genuine training in kung fu.

Again, I understand this and I know his view is based on the limited world of sports MA and his very limited experience of TMAs - not unlike most people in this forum who criticize the TCMAs.

By the way, a Chow Gar Mantis kung fu brother of mine has knocked out a guy in the street with an open hand (palm) strike. It is easy when you know how.

In the Wing Chun lineage that I practice, with a curriculum that takes 6 to 8 years to complete, as opposed to "I am a sifu after two years" schools, one starts with a lot of fist strikes and conditioning in the earlier parts of the training. As one advances more and more open hand (as well as claw) strikes are used.

Food for thought!

Agreed. Sports tournaments are only one facet of the immense world of the martial arts.
    Actually, Rogan began martial arts in Taekwondo and competed in it for several years. It seems he does not have any experience in TCMA but he did come from a TMA background. So once again, perhaps you should do a little research into things before you go spouting off about how know one in the world knows anything except you.

For the record, I think Joe Rogan is a complete douchenozzle, but facts are facts.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Actually, Rogan began martial arts in Taekwondo and competed in it for several years.
    Yes, he did refer to his experience in the lethal art of Tae Kwon Do in that interview. I guess that qualifies him to badmouth all the TCMAs and other TMAs under the sun.

You know, he sounds like some of the forum members here who have not had a day's training in an authentic kung fu school, even if they have trained years in some Mc Kung fu school, who then go on to make clueless comments about all TCMA methodologies on the planet.

It seems he does not have any experience in TCMA
    It sure seems that way.....LOL!

but he did come from a TMA background.
    The world of the kung fu cluelessness - including the segment that posts here - is full of people with TMA "backgrounds".....

So once again, perhaps you should do a little research into things before you go spouting off about how know one in the world knows anything except you.
    Perhaps you should be the one "researching" by reading my original post, and seeing that this thread is NOT about me, but a phenomenon of people making stupid comments about the TCMAs, without having trained in them authentically a day in their lives.

For the record, I think Joe Rogan is a complete douchenozzle, but facts are facts.
    Yes, and the fact is that he made derogatory comments about a system(s) that he has no clue about, just like some of his fellow MMA-ists who post on internet forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post

Food for thought!

he competed in his TMA to a high level and i suspect has seen plenty of TCMA.... and if those that have the real TCMA cant man up and compete in sports events then he and the rest of us will just have to live in ignorance

I find it strange that real TCMA masters like WSL in wing chun and Ip Sui in chow gar made their names in gong sau matches yet their students by and large dont seem able to do the same in the modern sport world, if masters like those saw benefits in competing against other skilled opponents in limited rules competition whats stopping their students doing the same?