Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change in perception.

Change in perception.

Good morning campers!

Let's try something different today. I have going through a lot of changes in how I view myself and the world because of attending Al-Anon and learning how to deal with an alcoholic spouse. Thought I might share a lesson here that has worked very well for me. I am going to change it a little so that it applies to WC.

Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master except for you and then try to change your attitude from "Why are they saying such stupid sh1t?" and arguing about it, to "What are they trying to teach me?". Even if you don't agree with what is being posted there is a good chance you could learn something. Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.

Just a little food for thought.

Thank you for letting me share.

Last edited by m1k3; 09-12-2011 at 07:12 AM.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Good morning campers!

Let's try something different today. I have going through a lot of changes in how I view myself and the world because of attending Al-Anon and learning how to deal with an alcoholic spouse. Thought I might share a lesson here that has worked very well for me. I am going to change it a little so that it applies to WC.

Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master except for you and then try to change your attitude from "Why are they saying such stupid sh1t?" and arguing about it, to "What are they trying to teach me?". Even if you don't agree with what is being posted there is a good chance you could learn something. Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.

That is really a good idea. What we deem as foolishness and BS is just our own perception, and it in no way means that it is wrong. Just that we may not fully understand it.
    Jackie Lee

Good morning campers!

Thank you for sharing. I think many people already do this on the forum , but it would be nice if more lived by that philosophy.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Good morning campers!

Think some may find it a little too much to grasp mate, but agree wholeheartedly that the forum would be better if everyone took this approach. Isn't it funny where we get inspiration from...
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Even if it's just how to stay calm and be an adult when people are saying stupid sh1t.
    I guess that's a goal worth pursuing.

Unless, of course, they're saying REALLY stupid sh1t ...

"Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Basically when reading or posting on the forum pretend that everyone here posting is a enlightened master...
    Because this forum exists to promulgate martial arts fantasy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Because this forum exists to promulgate martial arts fantasy, right?
    ???

Not sure what you mean ?
    Mike

???

Not sure what you mean ?
    That's the outcome when you throw healthy skepticism out of the window!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    That's the outcome when you throw healthy skepticism out of the window!

Are you trying to say that you can't be skeptical and still learn something from the person posting? Even if it's nothing more than arguing with a fool only makes a fool of you as well?

That would be a shame.
    Mike

Without irony and with all sincerity:

Why are you saying such stupid sh1t?
    When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Without irony and with all sincerity:

Why are you saying such stupid sh1t?

Because it is easy to get caught up in. The need to be clever or right is a hard trap to avoid. I do it less now but obviously I can't say never.

Progress not perfection.

It is one of my compulsions, the need to be in control even though I know I can't be in control of other people, places or things.

Thanks for help me with that. At least now I can recognize when I am doing it and work on changing it.
    Last edited by m1k3; 09-13-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    Mike

Because it is easy to get caught up in. The need to be clever or right is a hard trap to avoid. I do it less now but obviously I can't say never.

Progress not perfection.

It is one of my compulsions, the need to be in control even though I know I can't be in control of other people, places or things.

Thanks for help me with that. At least now I can recognize when I am doing it and work on changing it.
    Wait... this thread is a public defecation of a personal breakthrough? An emo thread??

Are you sure you're not saying you decided Dave sucks as a moderator and that you could do better?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Wait... this thread is a public defecation of a personal breakthrough? An emo thread??

Are you sure you're not saying you decided Dave sucks as a moderator and that you could do better?
    Well, I don't wear black just because it's slimming.

Besides if I was moderator, T, knifefighter and Victor would all be invited back and all threads would be limited to the secret internal powers of SLT or why are you wasting time sparring scrubs! Maybe I would also allow posting on the unholy alliance of Wing Chun and Catch Wrestling. This would be an awesome forum.
    Mike

Wouldn't it be easier to just cut yourself?

Tom,

is there some clever sarcasm I'm missing, or are you just being a d1ck?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!