Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fighting from a Horse stance

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=61532

I've always wanted to see someone actually fight in an MMA ruleset from a traditional low stance--partially because I'm curious as to what effect it would have on a shooting-in, ground game oriented fighter.
    People use traditional stances all the time in mma. The problem with a lot of traditional stylists is that they mistake these very deep stances for a proper fighting shell. Often the very deep stances are for specialty purposes, specific situations that come up in a fight, training, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    on a side note I think this is starting to change, big part due to mma. SJ is a great skillset to take to mma for a CMA guy. Mix with Sanda and then work the ground with some submission grappling. As more SJ guys go mma the over all impression of applicable CMA will lean towards SJ I think. Hopefully this will lead to more available SJ instruction.
    Also consider that Sanda throws come from SJ, some may be trained differently due to wearing boxing gloves in Sanda. Taking that into consideration, a good Sanda program for CMA guys can be just as effective if not more due to the combination of strikes and throws/takedowns blended into it's own style. Add groundwork and submissions and you have an MMA program.

Now one thing to consider is that with Sanda you may have one fighter more apt to strike and kickbox and one more apt to throw. Obviously the level and amount of throwing and takedowns will not be that of SJ since those are trained exclusively, but the point is as with most of the CMA schools who are going into MMA Sanda and SJ are the dominant programs in their schools.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

The first competitive fighting style I ever really focused on was wrestling in high school (in a very competitive program that was typically close to number 1 in the state). In wrestling, the lowness of a stance was to prevent a quick single leg or double leg takedown. In my kung fu training, we typically practice our forms in lower, deeper stances, but spar from higher stances. I would think that low stances might prevent a striking-oriented fighter from going to the ground against a BJJ or other ground-oriented fighter. Its really hard to shoot-in effectively against a lower stance.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    on a side note I think this is starting to change, big part due to mma. SJ is a great skillset to take to mma for a CMA guy. Mix with Sanda and then work the ground with some submission grappling. As more SJ guys go mma the over all impression of applicable CMA will lean towards SJ I think. Hopefully this will lead to more available SJ instruction.

I hope your right. I enjoy all clinch and grappling arts more so than any other. CMA has some of the tool sets for grappling but tend to over look them for watered down crap IMO.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Fighting from a Horse stance

Quote Originally Posted by Darthlawyer View Post
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=61532

I thought this thread was kind of interesting, before the mod got into a PP measuring contest, then locked the thread. Apparently, he's the only one allowed to have a condescending attitude. So, let's continue the discussion.

Personally, I think a lot of martial arts end up being defined more by the clothing than by the actual stylistic elements. The same stances, if done wearing silk pjs and frog buttons, vs. a spandex singlet, become different things.

I've always wanted to see someone actually fight in an MMA ruleset from a traditional low stance--partially because I'm curious as to what effect it would have on a shooting-in, ground game oriented fighter.
    Darthlawyer , you can fight in a horse stance if you really want to , but I
    would ' nt , depending on how strong you horse stance is , your attacker can easily sweep you off balance . The horse stance in kung fu for example was mainly used for developing the foundation of the human body . If you practice on your horse whenever you can and consistantly practice it , then as times goes by get together with a partner or a friend , then asked them to try and push you . If you can ' t move at all then that ' s progress right there , but if you move then you need to keep on practice .

I would use a short bow and arrow stance to fight my opponent depending on what kind of martial art you ' re training in . You can shorten the horse stance , to make yourself more movable .

And darthlawyer , you probably not see a low horse stance in a MMA match , today people don ' t take horse stance seriosly that ' s why . It ' s either going to be Muay thai or jujutsu , grappling . Since traditional martial arts uses horse stance ,
    ofcoarse I may be wrong , but if you look at other threads topic on this forum , they prefer Muay thai , jujutsu , and grappling . But you never know there might be a MMA fighter who use a traditional horse stance in a match against anybody .
    But if you ' re going to use horse stance in a fight against anybody , then it should be in a way that it can be movable not immovable .

Bow and arrow isn't a good read stance, imo, for the same reason a lunge wouldn't be one in fencing: you have no forward pressure.

Horse is vital for some throws.

A neutral stance is more apt for a ready stance.

All transitional.

bow stance in application. also keep in mind this is still transitional, this will immediately be followed by footwork, knees, sweep/trip. i just googled 'clinch' for this, its image hit #3 looks like the kid on the right is ready to throw a knee to me.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    bow stance in application.
    The bow-arrow stance is quite useful in the throwing art.

- You can use low bow-arrow stance to run your shin bone at your opponent's leading leg. This will force him to step back.
    - When your opponent sweep or low rounndhouse kicks at your leading leg, if your turn your strong shin bone into it (bow-arrow stance).

Before he lands his leading leg back down, since most of your weight is already on your leading leg, if you use your back leg to hook his standing leg, he will be down.

The bow-arrow stance is the ready posture before you attack with your back leg on your opponent's single standing leg when the timing is proper.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-19-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The bow-arrow stance is quite useful in the throwing art.

- You can use low bow-arrow stance to run your shin bone at your opponent's leading leg. This will force him to step back.
    - When your opponent sweep or low rounndhouse kicks at your leading leg, if your turn your strong shin bone into it (bow-arrow stance).

Before he lands his leading leg back down, since most of your weight is already on your leading leg, if you use your back leg to hook his standing leg, he will be down.

The bow-arrow stance is the ready posture before you attack with your back leg on your opponent's single standing leg when the timing is proper.
    I'm not saying it doesn't have uses, but pre-contact, unless you're initiating something(which is no longer a ready stance), a more neutral stance is what most people use.

And I love using the bow to drive my shin in!

Sandals?

They're not fighting. They just haven't seen each other in a long time.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    Sandals?
    They're just showing how things go down in da str33ts. On concrete in a construction site/alley way. The broken glass and needles are just out of the picture.

Lol!* just noticed the sandals. You guys are a riot

Here are two example of horse footstep which is four point horse and the half horse: