Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11th World Wushu Games

I'm inclined to agree, Krist

Here's the footage: qiangshu TUR 1 I do like her burka.

I'm still not seeing much coverage on the web. There's several articles on the Philippine competitors (apparently they are really into it) and a couple from Vietnam, and of course, China (see below).

China's Zhao Shi crowned at women's Changquan at WWC
    English.news.cn 2011-10-14 16:55:29

ANKARA, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- China's Zhao Shi topped the women's Changquan competition in the 11th World Wushu Championships (WWC) held in Turkish capital Ankara, the WWC organizing committee announced on Thursday.

Zhao got the highest mark of 9.79 among 50 competitors, while Chinese Hong Kong athlete Geng Xiaoling got the second place with 9.74 points and another Hong Kong competitor Zheng Tianhui followed with 9.70 points.

The full mark for Changquan competition is ten.

"Changquan Taolu (a series of skills and trick in wushu or martial art) is a combined one in Wushu Taolu. It borrows from Hongquan and other Taolu types of martial art. I think my performance is stable," Zhao told Xinhua after the competition.
    Honestly, I'm more tuned into the World Gymnastics Championships happening in Tokyo right now. America is doing really well. When we compare wushu to gymnastics, we are so far from the mark. Wushu isn't anywhere near that level. It's like comparing Bocce ball to the World Cup.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More results

The site posted women's changquan and men's & women's duel events, but there weren't any U.S. competitors in either.

I saw on Max Chen's fb that he lost to Iran and after 4 bouts, he thinks he'll get the bronze.

Apparently Alan Zhao fell ill and missed his taijijian event. Brenda Hatley said she had a sore throat but still competed. Most of the U.S. team seems to be placing in the mid range of the pools.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hear Colvin got three medals

11th World Wushu Championships
    Colvin Wang Silver medal in Jianshu and Qianshu, bronze medal in Changquan

Full results still lacking from the official site, but there is this:
    Elif Akyuz has become champion on the first day of 11th World Wushu Championship.

The President of Turkey Wushu Federation, Abdurrahman Akyuz, stated that the success of Elif Akyuz is not a coinsidence, and said that "It is not only Turkey's but also Europe continent's success."

Mr Akyuz, emphasizing that they have endeavoured for two years for the success they have achieved, indicated that "In the beginning we even couldn't imagine such a success. Our children have been attending the trainings in China for two years. They were adored by their Chinese trainers because of their succesful performances. Now we are achieving our aims step by step. It is not only Turkey's but also Europe continent's success, because nobody has become a champion from Europe until now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Over just in time...

I know some people were hesitant to go because of terrorism issues. No one foresaw this.

October 24, 2011, 4:35 PM CET
    Turkish Officials Pledge Support for Quake-Stricken Region
    By Joe Parkinson

As residents in Turkey’s eastern city of Van scramble to pull survivors from the wreckage of the country’s most lethal earthquake for over a decade, Ankara on Monday pledged to support the region’s businesses, offering a raft of incentives to help afflicted firms get back on their feet.

Amidst a backdrop of uncertainty, with the death toll rising steadily through the day to hit 279 as evening fell, cabinet ministers from the ruling AK Party took to the airwaves to unveil various of financial aid.

The government’s most senior economics policy maker, Deputy Prime Minister Ali Babacan, told the semi-official Anatolian News Agency that small and medium-sized businesses across Van province would be offered special support loans from state-run lenders Halkbank and Ziraat Bank. Finance Minister Mehmet Simsek, a native of neighboring Batman province, pledged that affected businesses would be offered one year’s tax exemption. Not to be outdone, Labor and Social Security minister Farut Celik announced an immediate one-year freeze in earthquake-struck business’s obligation to pay social security contributions for employees.

Energy Minister Taner Yildiz pledged to send 2,000 tons of coal a day to the region and Transport Minister Binali Yildirim said the state postal service would not charge for any aid packages sent to Van Governorate.

Deputy Prime Minister Babacan said the government was doing all in its power to “wrap the wounds” caused by the earthquake. “Our banks will give all support to our citizens who have suffered from the earthquake,” he said.

The announcements came after Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan rushed on Sunday night to visit Van, the largest affected city just 10 miles from the epicenter of the 7.2-magnitude quake. The government’s rapid response to the disaster in the mainly ethnic-Kurdish region underscored the seriousness of the quake, and also the political important of handling the disaster effectively.

The militant Kurdistan Worker’s Party, or PKK, is active in the region where the quake struck, and has many supporters there. Mr. Erdogan’s ruling AK Party is working hard to win backing from Kurdish citizens for his effort to crush or marginalize the PKK.

Political analysts said the government appeared to be executing its economic response effectively, but cautioned that handouts to those affected dodged the more pressing question of building safety codes across the country’s largest cities.

“The government is offering the standard response pretty effectively, but none of this answers the essential question of building safety codes in Turkey – especially the ones built by government or state tenders – which are usually the first ones to collapse,” said Atilla Yesida, an analyst with Istanbul-based research consultancy Global Source Partners.

“Nothing has been done to inspect the buildings – nor to come up with coherent earthquake emergency plans. We simply never learn – this is a never-ending tragedy,” he said.

Analysts also stressed that economic aid is particularly vital in Turkey’s predominantly Kurdish south east, which is much poorer than the capital, Ankara, or the booming business hub, Istanbul. Despite Turkey’s economy expanding more than 9% last year, official data from the national statistics authority showed that unemployment in Van in 2010 was 17.2%, sharply higher than the national average of 11.9%. Local administrators across Turkey’s South East say unemployment levels are sharply higher than government estimates.

Aggravating the region’s economic malaise, investors have also been spooked by the recent resurgence in violence between the PKK and the Turkish military, while cross-border trade with Syria, worth over $1.5 billion last year is plunging as Damascus struggles to contain opposition protests.

Outlining incentives for businesses is only one part of a broad earthquake relief effort. Over 3,000 rapid-response search and rescue personnel and over 700 health workers have arrived in the region, along with tents, food and heavy machinery to clear debris and help find survivors.

Van suffered a large earthquake in 1976, when more than 5,000 people died. Turkey’s most recent catastrophic earthquake was in 1999, around 60 miles east of Istanbul, when at least 17,000 people were killed. In 1939, 33,000 people were killed in a quake in Erzincan, also in eastern Turkey.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

New ezine article

Meet Colvin Wang, who captured two silvers and one bronze in the last World Wushu Championships. Read Interview with Colvin Wang: A World Wushu Triple-Medalist Reveals His Secrets For Success by Emilio Alpanseque
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

an excellent article...i've never met colvin personally (but remember him from competitions); he seems like someone who's totally got it together for his age, i'm impressed by his lack of ego and thankfulness to those who've helped him along the way.

like i said, an excellent article. we need more martial artists/wushu athletes like colvin.

Now coming to light

There was a lot of rumors about this at the time. It's in part what Krist was talking about in post 13-14.
    Bribery scandal hits Turkey's wushu world champ
    19 December 2013 /TODAY'S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

Athlete Elif Akyüz, Turkey's first world champion in the martial art of wushu, won her title through bribery, an organizer of the World Wushu Championships has claimed.

Ersin Metin Yavuz, a one-time employee at a company that helped organize the World Wushu Championships held in Ankara in 2011, has filed a complaint against Akyüz. Yavuz claims that Akyüz's gold medal was the result of a bribe paid by her father, Abdurrahman Akyüz, the current head of Turkey's Wushu Federation. According to Yavuz, Akyüz's father paid a referee and several International Wushu Federation officials seven Rolex watches and $14,000 for his daughter's gold medal.

According to the Doğan News Agency, in 2011 Önder Karan, head of the Turkish federation at the time, heard rumors that Akyüz was seeking to bribe officials in Turkey's Wushu Federation to secure a gold medal for his daughter. Karan took unspecified measures to stop Akyüz, who then took his scheme to the International Wushu Federation, the agency reports.

Karan had said that when he first heard the allegations of bribery he did not believe them. "After becoming aware of the fact, I have decided to resign from the country's Wushu Federation. I am ready to reveal every detail if there is an investigation. I will send my resignation letter, certified by a notary," Karan was quoted as saying by the Doğan News Agency.

Akyüz won a gold medal at the 11th World Wushu Championships in 2011 when she defeated 31 rivals from all over the world, becoming the first-ever Turkish champion in the sport.

The 11th World Wushu Championships were held in Ankara in 2011. Turkey sent 18 athletes and 42 trainers to the competition.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

18 athletes and 42 trainers? Is that normal???
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

As a Muslim culture, they may need more chaparons
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

They need more trainers to pass out rolexes.

Oh yeah. I went there.

At the next big IWuF event I go to, I'm gonna see what kind of watches the officials are wearing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I had no idea bribery payed so well at CMA tournaments, I must look into judging...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I had no idea bribery payed so well at CMA tournaments, I must look into judging...
    to be an IWUF official, you probably have to bride your way in, my experience with them was that they are terribly corrupt to begin with
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Wushu is in asia games and world games for some time now.

Not likely in olympics any time soon.