Thread: 11th World Wushu Games

Hybrid View

it seems the drama is already starting...

there are quite a few who are crying that it wasn't fair play that resulted in turkey getting gold in qiangshu. i've yet to review the footage, but the responses i've heard, so far, have been consistent.

fyi...

the president of the turkish wushu federation happens to be her father.

undisputed eh?...the hyperbole seems a bit much:
    http://www.sundayszaman.com/sunday/n...?newsId=259523
    Last edited by kristcaldwell; 10-13-2011 at 09:44 AM.

okay, i just watched some of the performances. the turkish athlete should NOT have even came close to a gold medal - her heel raised during the gongbu for lan na zha, and the atheleticism was not even close to the other athletes. this is truly a scandal.

what a shame for wushu on the world level.

I'm inclined to agree, Krist

Here's the footage: qiangshu TUR 1 I do like her burka.

I'm still not seeing much coverage on the web. There's several articles on the Philippine competitors (apparently they are really into it) and a couple from Vietnam, and of course, China (see below).

China's Zhao Shi crowned at women's Changquan at WWC
    English.news.cn 2011-10-14 16:55:29

ANKARA, Oct. 14 (Xinhua) -- China's Zhao Shi topped the women's Changquan competition in the 11th World Wushu Championships (WWC) held in Turkish capital Ankara, the WWC organizing committee announced on Thursday.

Zhao got the highest mark of 9.79 among 50 competitors, while Chinese Hong Kong athlete Geng Xiaoling got the second place with 9.74 points and another Hong Kong competitor Zheng Tianhui followed with 9.70 points.

The full mark for Changquan competition is ten.

"Changquan Taolu (a series of skills and trick in wushu or martial art) is a combined one in Wushu Taolu. It borrows from Hongquan and other Taolu types of martial art. I think my performance is stable," Zhao told Xinhua after the competition.
    Honestly, I'm more tuned into the World Gymnastics Championships happening in Tokyo right now. America is doing really well. When we compare wushu to gymnastics, we are so far from the mark. Wushu isn't anywhere near that level. It's like comparing Bocce ball to the World Cup.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More results

The site posted women's changquan and men's & women's duel events, but there weren't any U.S. competitors in either.

I saw on Max Chen's fb that he lost to Iran and after 4 bouts, he thinks he'll get the bronze.

Apparently Alan Zhao fell ill and missed his taijijian event. Brenda Hatley said she had a sore throat but still competed. Most of the U.S. team seems to be placing in the mid range of the pools.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I hear Colvin got three medals

11th World Wushu Championships
    Colvin Wang Silver medal in Jianshu and Qianshu, bronze medal in Changquan

Full results still lacking from the official site, but there is this:
    Elif Akyuz has become champion on the first day of 11th World Wushu Championship.

The President of Turkey Wushu Federation, Abdurrahman Akyuz, stated that the success of Elif Akyuz is not a coinsidence, and said that "It is not only Turkey's but also Europe continent's success."

Mr Akyuz, emphasizing that they have endeavoured for two years for the success they have achieved, indicated that "In the beginning we even couldn't imagine such a success. Our children have been attending the trainings in China for two years. They were adored by their Chinese trainers because of their succesful performances. Now we are achieving our aims step by step. It is not only Turkey's but also Europe continent's success, because nobody has become a champion from Europe until now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips