Thread: Favourite MA Biographies?

Favourite MA Biographies?

Any recommendations gratefully received. I have a small collection of MA biographies and would like to pick up another few.

Here's my list and what I thought of them. Feel free to add.

Angry White Pyjamas - Robert Twigger - fantastic read.
    The Swordmaster's Apprentice - Edward Burke - fantastic read. Training with one of the hard men of aikido.
    Martial Musings - Robert Smith - wonderful book. Happy to have it on my shelf.
    No Holds Barred - Clyde Gentry - great book
    Brawl - Eric Krauss - ok. A little Lion's Den biased.
    Blood in the Cage - John Wertheim - good
    Why I Fight - BJ Penn - a little dry
    A Fighter's Heart - Sam Sheridan - brilliant
    The Fighters Mind - Sam Sheridan - interesting but not as good as his first book.
    The Journeyman - Bob Sykes - disappointing. Sounds like an interesting guy but there wasn't much in this book.
    Sugong - Nick Hurst - ok. Well written but a little dry.
    American Shaolin - Matt Polly - fantastic read.
    Tapped Out - Matt Polly - also a great read, also a bit lighter than his first book.
    Persimmon Wind - Dave Lowry - good (if a little dry) read. Interesting.
    Monk from Brooklyn - Antonio Graceffo - poorly written but extremely entertaining.
    Warrior Odyssey - Antonio Graceffo - another very entertaining read. Enjoyed it a lot.
    Wing Chun Warrior - Duncan Leung - didn't enjoy. Felt like a children's book.
    Becoming the Natural - Randy Couture - just ok. Superficial and a little dry for my tastes. Some interesting insights into fight psychology.
    The Cauliflower Chronicles - Marshall D Carper - boring. More Hawaii travelogue than martial arts autobiography.
    The Making of a Butterfly - Phillip Starr - life lessons and reminiscences from his teacher. I found it a little light. Mr Starr seems like an interesting guy though.
    The Pyjama Game - Mark Law - great read. Author's journeys in judo in the UK.
    Bruce Lee and Me - Brian Preston - interesting, funny and very well written. A newbie discovers martial arts.
    Working with Warriors - Dennis Martin - fascinating stories about door work with 3 top martial artists. Loved it.
    Title Shot - Kelly Grigger - good fun book. The author 'test drives' some of the major MMA teams in the US.
    Journey Through Time - Willem de Thours - really disappointing. This man sounds like he has some great stories to share but the writing is bad it's almost unreadable.
    Iron and Silk - Mark Salzman - one of the first I read. Wonderful stories about living and training in China when not many Laowai went there.

The Toughest Man Alive, by Gene LeBell

Some swordsmen...for starters..off the top of my head.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks for the suggestions!

The Gene Lebell book I've been thinking about. I've picked it and read bits and pieces of it but despite the man himself being a legend, it's also not all that well written.

If it's still available, Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods by Robert W. Smith is a little book that's a fun read. Not a biography per se, and I don't always agree with his views, but I always liked his writing style. About the 3 years or so period he lived/trained in Taiwan.

Oh I have Masters and Methods already. Yes - I agree with you. I find Smiths writing style very enjoyable.

Lest we forget...

Spirit of Shaolin and Endless Highway by David Carradine

Actually, I've never read either of these books, but I have an autographed blad of SoS, which I recently found whilst going through my stuff. I'm going to get it framed and hang it up next to my desk at the office here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Jackie Chan's autobiography is a very good read.

I am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions!

The Gene Lebell book I've been thinking about. I've picked it and read bits and pieces of it but despite the man himself being a legend, it's also not all that well written.
    His The Godfather of Grappling (2005) was a very enjoyable read. He is one funny guy.

What about Chuck's book?

Against All Odds: My Story by Chuck Norris and Ken Abraham. I've never read it. Don't really intend to.

Jackie's book is entertaining but rather dated now. He's done a lot more in the 15 years since that book was published. Lebell does have a good sense of humor. Another enjoyable read. I liked the Kano and Oyama books too, although my memory of the Oyama book is pretty faint. That was so long ago when I read that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll check them out. I read Jackie Chan's book years ago and enjoyed it a lot.It was lot more substantial than I expected.

I'm keen to read Nicholas Pettas' story about him being the last uchi deshi of Oyama.

Chuck's book was a good read.

Also - Gichin Funakoshi's "Karate Do, My Way of Life" was a good read.

Should ad
    "Sugar Ray" by Sugar Ray Robinson.