Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shin conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    start with light tapping just like any other iron body training
    holy crap!!! Bawang gave some good advice!

no, really he did.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

one time i hit too hard in iron shirt training and i shat blood for 2 weeks

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I spent 1.5 years at a Muay Thai camp in Thailand. We kicked the heavy bag, over and over, and got a decent level of shin conditioning just from that. For those who wanted more, we had a stack of car tires with a concrete post in the middle. We'd kick (and punch, knee, elbow) the tires, 25 times each leg per day. Started out with little power but after a couple months I could kick those tires with my shin at about 80% power with no pain at all. The conditioning I got out of all this was definitely sufficient for fighting in the ring. And this was without a loss of sensitivity to light touch on the skin. My theory was that with increased bone density, my body knew that the heavier impacts were no longer potentially dangerous. Therefore, there was no need to trigger the pain (i.e. danger) feedback loop.

I have a stack of tires at my house now, but don't get around to kicking them much. Mostly they just remind me of what a badass I used to be!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey mind View Post
    My theory was that with increased bone density, my body knew that the heavier impacts were no longer potentially dangerous. Therefore, there was no need to trigger the pain (i.e. danger) feedback loop.
    ...actually, you have killed some nerve endings and that's why they're not firing anymore.

neuropathy is common in repetitive strikes with a given surface. You don't kill em all, but you have likely damaged a lot of them. You have also increased the density of the bone through the vibrations and you have thickened the skin somewhat.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ...actually, you have killed some nerve endings and that's why they're not firing anymore.

neuropathy is common in repetitive strikes with a given surface. You don't kill em all, but you have likely damaged a lot of them. You have also increased the density of the bone through the vibrations and you have thickened the skin somewhat.
    Well, I don't know the details of innervation to the lower leg, but I definitely didn't perceive a loss of sensation. At the time I was getting lots of reflexology & I would have noticed if things felt differently as my training progressed. I could still feel touch, even very light touch, to my shins. I just didn't feel pain with heavy impact. That was then though. These days I definitely can't kick hard surfaces like that.

Well, I don't know the details of innervation to the lower leg, but I definitely didn't perceive a loss of sensation. At the time I was getting lots of reflexology & I would have noticed if things felt differently as my training progressed. I could still feel touch, even very light touch, to my shins. I just didn't feel pain with heavy impact. That was then though. These days I definitely can't kick hard surfaces like that.
    You can't kick them because it hurts or because you can't?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Most Thai guys just kick the bag, the denser, bottom part.
    Of course they do LOTS of kicking, LOL !
    If you want to kick a tree or post, make sure it is lightly padded and has give.
    this kick the bag and pads a lot, you dont need to do anything stupid conditioning wise for the shins...and this goes for most other parts of the body too

Wooden roller for your shins + shin kicks to a dense, Thai-style heavy bag =

Tough ass shins!

You can't kick them because it hurts or because you can't?
    Because it hurts. I do kick the tires from time to time but with much less force than I used to. Mostly these days I kick the Thai pads.

Because it hurts. I do kick the tires from time to time but with much less force than I used to. Mostly these days I kick the Thai pads.
    That's a sensitivity issue, that's all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have a wave master in my garage i like using for this.Ive filled it all the way to the top with sand so its solid Its essentially like pole conditioning but the light padding wrapped around it keeps the training sensible.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Smile

I never could understand a person using such a delicate spot as an impact weapon. Beating all the hide and meat off your shin bones so you can use it as a weapon. Makes about as much sense as slamming a tree over and over with your face so you can just face butt your opponent to death. The instep, and right where the ankle joints to the leg is also full of nerves and can offer you some real misery if struck just right. And you guys are beating it against stuff? It is a good thing you guys spend all your time here talking crap instead of out getting into fights. You would just beat yourselves to death.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I never could understand a person using such a delicate spot as an impact weapon. Beating all the hide and meat off your shin bones so you can use it as a weapon. Makes about as much sense as slamming a tree over and over with your face so you can just face butt your opponent to death. The instep, and right where the ankle joints to the leg is also full of nerves and can offer you some real misery if struck just right. And you guys are beating it against stuff? It is a good thing you guys spend all your time here talking crap instead of out getting into fights. You would just beat yourselves to death.
    Well we cant all be former hung gar assasins for the triads

or was it the legion of doom ? i cant remember?

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

That's a sensitivity issue, that's all.
    Right. And wouldn't that suggest that I didn't suffer extensive nerve damage as a result of my training?

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    Well we cant all be former hung gar assasins for the triads

or was it the legion of doom ? i cant remember?
    I am sorry. I am not familiar with hung gar. Or the triads, or the Legion of DOOM?
    Jackie Lee