Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wudang KungFu Academy China

Yeah it would be fun and romantic and all that, my point is that you are fooling yourself with the kungfu bit. You will attain crap to mediocre level skills at best, simply because you have zero background and you're too old. But if you're after a unique/strange experience - go for it. Don't worry about the injuries as they wont be that bad because they won't push you hard anyway because they want your money and they are there to give you the experience you are after. Just be prepared for people like me to laugh at your clips once you come back and start promoting yourself as a Wudang teacher.

Sorry to sound so negative. Ran into a lot of people like you (and also like the people that are taking your money) in China over the years.

Personally I think you are better off studying qigong or calligraphy or something similar if you are intent on the China experience.

BT

My view is that those organized trips are the wrong approach for an experienced martial art who can navigate Chinese culture, they should go and find the best teacher they are able to, but for newbies, some of them are worth the time.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

I'd say that if the guy is going over at the age of 50 it is probably just one of those things he has always wanted to do and will regret if he never at least gives it a try.

If that's the case, I don't think it matters too much what any of us say because he'll do it anyways.

I've got some pretty stupid things on my bucket list too and I know that no matter what everyone says i'll still do them.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Don't worry about the injuries ...
    A good friend of mine went to Chenjago for 3 years and came back wiith a bad knee.

You should watch the movie, "Iron and Silk". Don't come back as a modern Wushu performer.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.

I understand what you are saying Tunks BUT, I'm not going over there so that I can come back and talk about KungFu. I am going over to try get as fit and as flexible as I can while also allowing myself plenty of time to think my future over.

I only started the thread to try get feed back on the Training really

Also, it doesn't matter whether they go easy on me, or want my money nor does it matter whether I experience the full KF lifestyle or not...

I could blow my money or spend my money in a thousand different ways and I have thought of many....but the choice to go to this academy seems worhwhile.

And I promise, if I go in the end, not to come back and post anything that suggests I am any more than I am

Cheers

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mochuisle View Post
    Hi,

I am 49 years old, slim but not particularly fit and planning to go to Wudang KungFu Academy in China next year for 12 to 18 months to learn KungFu...

They train about 6 hours per day five days per week.

My worry is about getting injured and being out of action for weeks at a time.

Are injuries common in KungFu?

Is it too late in life for me to be doing this?

M
    Go for it - you will have a great time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mochuisle View Post
    I understand what you are saying Tunks BUT, I'm not going over there so that I can come back and talk about KungFu. I am going over to try get as fit and as flexible as I can while also allowing myself plenty of time to think my future over.

I only started the thread to try get feed back on the Training really

Also, it doesn't matter whether they go easy on me, or want my money nor does it matter whether I experience the full KF lifestyle or not...

I could blow my money or spend my money in a thousand different ways and I have thought of many....but the choice to go to this academy seems worhwhile.

And I promise, if I go in the end, not to come back and post anything that suggests I am any more than I am

Cheers

M
    Sounds like you've thought it over and know what u want. Original post sounded very naive. Hope u get out of it what u need. Have fun.

but yeah - you're still too old. can't retract that. old people training real gongfu are those that have been training it for years. anyone else starting at that age is just playing.

Go and have fun, train slow and steady! Be sure and eat up all of the meals that they provide you and ask for more. Drink water. Eat apples. Use common sense. Walk before you run. Seriously, pay attention to what you are doing, and pay attention to each and every detail relating to proper body alignment with each and every posture. If you are not fighting, injuries usually occur from lack of proper stretching and warm up, POOR BODY ALIGNMENT (in stances your knees are not meant to go past your toes in the beginning, if at all...), burning yourself out, POOR DIET, and POOR REST. Wudang and Shiyan has good medicine and massage. Head to get a good massage every Friday night, and sleep and meditate and do healing Qigong for the rest of the weekend. Walk to the mountaintop every chance you get. Learn about yourself and how your body works. Don't try to copy how the teacher does it. Do it how you do it, while paying attention of course to the basic fundamentals of all martial arts. Learn the language. Practice before you go.

10,000 bucks for a years stay, with accomodation, food, and whatever else is pretty cheap for China. Of course you could do it on your own cheaper, but you would need to know the language, where to go, have proper visa, and etc...As a foreigner, finding instruction is a pain enough if you don't know who is who and what is up with everything.

Or, if you have your own home, and perhaps 10,000 bucks in the bank, stay at home and watch the rat race go by while studying with the best teacher you can find in your area. Doesn't sound as fun though.

I remember a few years ago there was a 60 year old who went to one of the Muay Thai camps in Phuket. He had little experience with martial arts, was plump but healthy, and etc. He ended up his stay in Thailand by fighting in the Stadium and actually winning.

I agree with Tao Yin and the other Yes'ers, and NOT the NaySayers.

While it is true it is important to be cautious and not over do it, there is nothing that is written in stone that says you cannot succeed to a good level of skill.

Most people are mediocre in their life and even more so in their athletic endeavors. Most people have no experience being exceptional at anything. Some people see themselves as exceptional, but are actually only mediocre. Many people can't imagine someone else just might be exceptional, especially more exceptional then they are.

In your case, you are exceptional already just in your desire to spend the money and go on the adventure. No one can hazard an accurate guess of how well you will do, not even you.

In life it is better to act like you are exceptional and CAN do it, rather than admit defeat before you even try. This is the loser attitude that most people, especially naysayers have. They can't do it, or don't want to try to do it, therefore, no one else can do it!

I have always lived by a dictum: "Argue for your limitations and they are yours! Say 'I CAN'T' and you won't! Say 'I CAN' and even if you fail you have gained more than the loser attitude would have given you!"

At any age, all it takes is the desire to do it, and a means to learn the skills you wish to learn. After that, all it takes is persistence. All people are subject to injury. I always have some kind of major injury to overcome. It has been that way for me since I was 15 and I am now 52. If you train you will be injured, that is just the way it is. Live with it and train around your injuries and do the best you can with what you can do.

One time, when I was much younger, all I had time to do was to train kicks, I obtained exceptional kicks because I was able to focus all my energy on learning them and practicing them. Life leads to certain limitations and you learn how to take that half empty of a glass of water and view it as half full. The glass never changes, but the way you choose to view it does. That is what changes you and your experience, what YOU bring to it!

Whatever it is you do, do it because it is fun and you love it. Skill will come simply because you love it and enjoy it. Any other motive can cause problems, like the emotional need to prove yourself or be better than everyone else. Fun, is the best way to develop exceptional skill at any age!

Even if you do not develop the skill of an exceptional 19 year old, you will have exceptional skill for a 50 year old!

You know, if you're dead set on going, which sounds like you are, then i'd suggest you at least start doing some type of exercise that will get you in decent shape while you're still at home. You mentioned before that you're not going until next year July, right? And that you can get in shape with some work? Maybe find a place to train in your area for the year until you go. It will get you started with the training and your body will have time to adapt.

you pay 10 thousand dollars for an illusion and lie. you are weak

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Brother, I will help you.

If you go to temples you find mickey mouse and Ms. Blue Smurf. The top best ones have government friendship and can make riches in real estate market. They don't do dancing and beg for money. You also have idea that is wrong thinking way. Top ones are too busy to care about you. They can train mafia or government officials for more money than you can pay. Only farmers and physical education majors caring about foreigners because this all they can do beside getting good job at KFC.

Go to a chicken garden offer 50rmb to learn "金刚打飞机“ to make you soft relaxed. Later on pay the guard 100rmb to teach you how to fight for one hour on his day off. He will teach you really fight vicious way. Then practice. This is how Chinese learn military boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoPang View Post
    this all they can do beside getting good job at KFC.
    considering a name change

kentucky grilled chicken or KGC.

KFC grilled is redundant.

if it is fried how can it be grilled again.

I meant people in the 21st century preferred chicken grilled then fried.

is it not?