Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite takedowns and throws

Favourite takedowns and throws

So why not a thread on throws as well, I have been working several new takedowns at the moment

One is the high double as shown to us by (one punch) brad picket, hitting it without going to the knee and gripping around the backside rather than behind the knees

Another is from taking the back sitting down shooting through a leg between the opponents legs and sweeping them backwards and into a heel hook

Ive also been re-working the knee tap off the under hook as well as my old favourite the lateral drop

So what are others working on at the moment?

hip toss =#1
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hip Throw from Under/Over hook.

Double Leg Uproot

Arm drags and wh**izzers are fun to work in all their variations as well.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Sumi Gaeshi - no one ever sees it coming.

feint Uchi Mata to real Tai Otoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post

One is the high double as shown to us by (one punch) brad picket, hitting it without going to the knee and gripping around the backside rather than behind the knees
    a standing double (no knee down) but with knee grips is something Randy Couture and Matt Lindland drilled with us to death when we trained with them. Also were very specific about why they use the grip on knees rather than backside....

We also use a lot of body locks and sags with variations
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    a standing double (no knee down) but with knee grips is something Randy Couture and Matt Lindland drilled with us to death when we trained with them. Also were very specific about why they use the grip on knees rather than backside....

We also use a lot of body locks and sags with variations
    Would love to hear there reasoning as that’s how I did it for years until our coaches got this from pickett who picked it up from Matt? Brown (think I got his first name wrong the former WEC champ), personally I cant get out of the habit of hitting the low double knee down, but for MMA training where they stand higher I can see the merit of the standing double first, and then going to the knee if they move, it gives you another foot to travel after the initial penitration

Weare taught it with a gable grip under the buttocks then pull the elbows in to off balance as move through them and then reap the legs to the side, plus points for me is its really hard to sprawl out of as you are controlling the buttocks and not the knees

I like O Soto Gari and Harai Goshi too. Both have variations that are used in wrestling.

There is a big danger to an untrained opponent with O Soto Gari even though it's probably the first throw most Judo guys learn so be careful if you intend to learn it to use it in self defense.

Would love to hear there reasoning as that’s how I did it for years until our coaches got this from pickett who picked it up from Matt? Brown (think I got his first name wrong the former WEC champ), personally I cant get out of the habit of hitting the low double knee down, but for MMA training where they stand higher I can see the merit of the standing double first, and then going to the knee if they move, it gives you another foot to travel after the initial penitration

Weare taught it with a gable grip under the buttocks then pull the elbows in to off balance as move through them and then reap the legs to the side, plus points for me is its really hard to sprawl out of as you are controlling the buttocks and not the knees
    Not coming from a free style wrestling background, we seem to pick up the standing version well.

In fact, the dropping to the knee was the preferred "go to" method when things fell apart from this

The gripping the knees as opposed to backside, well, according to them (and they showed us what they meant) if all things are equal (ie you are doing the grips correctly AND they guy you are doing it to is a good wrestler) - you have better chances and more options grabbing the knees

For any wrestler that "hips in" the rearend grab puts you in a really bad position. He can try to sprawl back but if you have the correct angles and know the follow ups, according to them (and their olympic level coaches btw) the knee is a better option

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Yep it’s a different way of thinking for me, high shot and then going to the knee, as before its always been low shot and work from there (although being a heavyweight and not having a free style background its normally foget the low stuff and body locks trips and trips/sags all day long lol

Thanks for the reply, the above is why for years our coaches taught the behind the knee lift, and why I still like to do it, but playing around with this version is fun and it does seem to be working, hopefully we will have Kenny Johnson back down for a seminar soon and he can give his take on it lol

Thanks for the reply as always

Having worked with a lot of high level wrestlers in the past few years, we discovered that while the average HS and even college wrestler will sprawl as first defense (and sprawl a certain way) - the high level (and especially international wrestler) will "hip in" first and sprawl with his "hip in"

It changes the game a lot. Sorry it is hard to explain on a flat forum, but it is like a little thing that makes a world of difference

Do you mean almost bumping/hitting with the hip, to sort of stop forward momentum before sprawling?

I like to totally grab someone, then, like, totally pick them up and then put them down. Hard!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Having worked with a lot of high level wrestlers in the past few years, we discovered that while the average HS and even college wrestler will sprawl as first defense (and sprawl a certain way) - the high level (and especially international wrestler) will "hip in" first and sprawl with his "hip in"

It changes the game a lot. Sorry it is hard to explain on a flat forum, but it is like a little thing that makes a world of difference
    Ross, what are the differences (if any) in how you guys train throws and takedowns for a Sanda match as opposed to an MMA match.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

So why not a thread on throws as well, I have been working several new takedowns at the moment

Another is from taking the back sitting down shooting through a leg between the opponents legs and sweeping them backwards and into a heel hook

Ive also been re-working the knee tap off the under hook as well as my old favourite the lateral drop

So what are others working on at the moment?
    This throw/takedown is lethal. Probably more so in the street on cement than in the gym.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ5G...eature=related

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I use a veriant of the wizzer a lot. works for me pretty well with added hip placement and extended leg into trip. Momentum usually gets person going and the trip works well.

I have a good bit of wrestling background so it comes from that.

ankle picks and singles are second nature in a lot of situations for me.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.