Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Legends of Kung Fu 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We had about almost 2 dozen people, including Mike Barry, Don Hamby, Gary Utterback, Shi Xingying, Zhang Xueli, Steve Li and more. Thanks again for putting this together, xcakid (nice ride too - sweet even without the kato cap). And thanks for the treat, sha0lin1. It was an honor to meet your wife.

Photos coming on Monday.
    Hey Gene, anyway you can shoot me over a copy of the pic of us after diner with Shi Xingying?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

It wasn't Aronson, it was Clark

Chris Clark introduced a new concept for continuous light contact called Tru 2 Form. The idea was to show your style, so there was some initial forms demo before Clark called 'Fight!' It surprisingly entertaining, especially this monkey fighter who did a lot of rolling about, although many felt that the rules were ill defined and there were too many openings for injury.

I can feel lkfmdc popping a vein on this one from here.

That being said, David Chin's Hop Gar fighters fought with classic Hop Gar stances and techniques and did quite well.

I'll merge this with our other thread soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Merged

I've tossed up a 88 pix on our facebook album. I'll post more tomorrow.

This one is my favorite so far:

Good photography is all in the timing.

I'll send you some pix soon, xcakid. Still trying to get on top of Monday. I had about 6 hours of sleep total for my 3-day weekend in Plano, so I'm pretty burnt today.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hahaha...looks like Shi Xing Ying is about to hit sha0lin1 in the nutter.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I can feel lkfmdc popping a vein on this one from here.
    well, can you do those forms and fight if it is full contact and the other guy is actually hitting you?

That being said, David Chin's Hop Gar fighters fought with classic Hop Gar stances and techniques and did quite well.
    The first year Sifu Chin put fighters in Sanshou was 1999 at the Baltimore NACMAF event. My guy won the gold in the 187 lb category and sifu Chin and I had a long conversation about getting ready for fights. I'm happy to hear he's still putting students in there
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I wouldn't try it in the cage myself...

...then again, I never volunteer to enter a cage.

The monkey competitor in Tru 2 Form got off some good surprising techniques that might have worked at full power. The Hop Gar guys were great. They were totally working with classical Hop Gar moves and succeeding. They were under Chris Heintzman, a student of Chin's. It was glorious. One of the fighters, the one that was using the most classic Hop Gar guard and approach, was Veron Webb. He's done well in amateur (he told me his record, which I can't remember now but it was winning mostly) and is looking to go pro MMA ASAP. He's a lightweight however, which isn't always as marketable.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I had about 6 hours of sleep total for my 3-day weekend in Plano, so I'm pretty burnt today.
    Maybe you shouldn't have stayed up so late to use the hotel computer doing a google vanity search for yourself

Tru 2 form- Not to many people (sifu's included) seemed impressed with the event. I doubt it will be around long
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

So I was skimming this thread...and I thought you were guys were talking about the TWIN PEAKS in CLEARLAKe/HOUSTON area...i was like man i missed out and missed u guys..then realize you guys were talking about the dallas location

COME BACK GENE and LETS GO to the clear lake/houston location one =D
    drinks on me! =D

Back on topic: who grand champion this year?

Perhaps I mis-read Mikes post.

Anyhow I was sent some vid clips of the event. OMG

It looked like a Shaw Brothers Casting Call.

I will say it was good intentions but nahhh.

Fighting is Fighting. Looked more like a fantasy chess game. Just one step above the fun style vs style verbal poetics battle we used to do back in the day.

My "1000 lb horse and Extended Bridge counters your mighty dragon tail kick....LOL

I found True to Form quite interesting actually. The monkey kung fu guys used a lot of the rolling on the ground as intended, take downs. And they worked!! The 5 animals fighter used a lot of tiger, crane snake techniques that worked. It was good to see forms applications applied in a dynamic situation. If anything else it will help folks get back to practicing forms and application again.

*types in second official post*
    @Gene--

Thanks for the heads up about "David Chin's Hop Gar fighters."

If I'd only known in advance, I would have driven the four hours just to watch. But your words prompted me to do a search for some video from the tournament. No luck yet, but I did find his web site (still can't believe he has one). Maybe old news to you guys, but the man, the legend, is offering a Hop Gar seminar this fall! I'll definitely try to go.

Looking forward to more news about this tournament. Anybody have vids, please forward links.

Thanks!

The 'go to' place for vids is Tom Gohring's Youtube channel

MasterGohring's Channel Tom records as much as he can on flips and uploads them (unedited) from the event. I don't think he got any of the sanshou however. There's probably a lot of the Tru 2 Form event. I was amused by Tru 2 Form but the potential for argument and injury seems to great to me. I think there's viability for restricted movement sparring as a tournament event within a particular style. In essence, that's what chisao is for wing chun and tuishou is for taiji. With in PRC, there are other such events. However, when you open it up to other styles, it gets too uncontrolled. Besides, after those Hop Gar fighters showed their form effectively in the sanshou bouts, the notion of Tru 2 Form was rendered irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    WhAT!!! Why did they do that??
    Got me. I went back to look and the archive folder is there, but it's completely empty. I suppose I could reload them all, but it seems rather dated now.

I'm going to load some more pix on facebook soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

@Gene

Wow! Thank you for the link, I'll go watch immediately! It pays to come down out the hills sometimes, I suppose *makes fun of his home's topography*

I smiled when you said, "after those Hop Gar fighters showed their form effectively in the sanshou bouts, the notion of Tru 2 Form was rendered irrelevant."

But I'm probably biased!

Thanks again!!
    Last edited by ShenZhi; 08-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Besides, after those Hop Gar fighters showed their form effectively in the sanshou bouts, the notion of Tru 2 Form was rendered irrelevant.
    hah hah hah hah
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Ok, quiet everybody. Dwarves in the back, stop drinking! You two. Yes, useless halfling rogues. Quiet!

*clears throat, finds appropriate narrative voice*

Your shouts of merriment have attracted a wandering monster. It appears to be a Dross, and it is staring right at you. What will you do?

Ok, everyone grab your dice and make a saving throw. If you fail it, the Dross will attempt to cast his fifth level spell, Ray of Boasting; he may also get a second attack if you save naturally. It should be known to the party that he carries a high level Club of Egoism, and if you provoke him, he will rattle off his lineage before he attacks you with it.

Do we have anyone with cleric skills in the party? Speak up now!
    You might want to start your invocations.

What? *looks at the smallest halfling rogue* Whaddya mean you didn't bring your percentiles!!! Can't you at least just steal some from the dwarf????