Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves

Slightly OT...

...this was due for a ttt

Hong Kong Singer Karen Mok’s New English Jazz Album
    Jan 21, 2013 12:00 AM EST
    Hong Kong—born chanteuse Karen Mok is ready to take the West by storm.

Karen Mok is one of Asia’s biggest stars, with numerous awards for her singing and movie roles, and, in an often conformist industry, she is famed for her individuality. She has played offbeat roles for director Wong Kar-Wai (Fallen Angels) and acted in countless movies with Hong Kong comic legend Stephen Chow (God of Cookery, Shaolin Soccer). Half Chinese and a quarter Welsh, with German and Iranian ancestry, she plays three instruments and speaks four languages (English, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Italian). And yet, with the exception of a brief appearance in Around the World in 80 Days with Steve Coogan and Jackie Chan in 2004, Mok—who adopted the Chinese transliteration of her original family name, Morris, when she began her career in Asia—has made surprisingly few inroads into the global entertainment mainstream. But that’s about to change. Mok recently completed her first major role in a Hollywood movie*—Man of Tai Chi, starring and codirected by Keanu Reeves. And this week sees the global release of her first English-language album, Somewhere I Belong. Produced by nu-jazz pioneer Bugge Wesseltoft, it mixes classics such as “Stormy Weather” and “My Funny Valentine” with jazz-tinged interpretations of pop songs, from the Beatles to Portishead, all with a subtle Chinese twist. Mok plays the guzheng, a classical Chinese instrument, throughout the album, which also features the 1930s Mandarin jazz classic “Ye Shanghai” (“Shanghai Night”). Newsweek caught up with Mok in Shanghai, where*—in her crisp, British-accented English, punctuated with frequent gales of laughter*—she talked about her album and the long delay in her global “coming out.”
    Karen Mok

The multitalented Mok sings, acts, and plays the guzheng. (Feng Li/Getty Images for Nokia)

So why has it taken you so long to sing and act in English?

Well, things just have to fall into place at the right time. It’s easy to just record a bunch of songs in English, of course—but to have the support of the record company [Universal] and the platform to bring the music to the rest of the world, and to work with such amazing musicians, is not an opportunity which comes along every day. So I just feel really, really lucky.

You’re best known in Asia for pop, rock, and dance songs. Why did you choose a jazz album?

I always dreamt of being a jazz singer. I fell in love with jazz when I was at university, and I’m passionate about it. I think jazz is really the best way to express yourself—it can cross boundaries and touch people all over the world. Of course it’s intimidating because these songs are such classics, and they’ve been done by all these divas you admire and love, and you can’t just imitate them. But I love to reinvent things and make them my own work. We wanted a jazz album with our own identity and a Chinese flair.

Do you think the world is ready for a jazz album with Chinese elements?

Oh, totally! There really are no boundaries in jazz—it’s played by people all around the world—and we just wanted to record in Shanghai and have that old ’20s feel. And the world really is coming closer: look at PSY! I guess most people wouldn’t understand what he’s singing in Korean, but they still like it—it grabs you, it touches you, and that’s all that matters.

Your choice of songs might surprise some—“Sour Times” by Portishead, George Harrison’s “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”…

Well, it’s important to have a balance*—I’m a pop singer, and some of these pop classics could easily be interpreted in a jazzy way. I picked Portishead because I like to surprise the audience, and I chose “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” both because the melody is beautiful and because of the amazing solo. The guzheng and a couple of other Chinese instruments are very important elements in the album, and I was adventurous enough to bring in my electrified guzheng and substitute it for Eric Clapton’s guitar solo!

You’ve also just acted in a Hollywood movie. How do you think Asian artists are perceived in the entertainment world—is it easy to be pigeonholed?

Well, the world’s evolving very quickly. But there are probably still certain stereo*types. For example, in movies, if you’re Asian and you do a kung fu movie, 
people think that’s very “authentic” and makes a lot of sense [laughs]—though I do think this is gradually changing.

Your character in Man of Tai Chi is a cop—is she interesting?

What’s interesting is that she’s constantly on the go after the bad guys—Keanu is the main bad guy—and I’m just chasing these baddies, and I never die. I roll down a hill and then, here I am going after them still!

You normally sing in Mandarin, and you’re a big star in mainland China. How do the Chinese media perceive you, given your multiethnic heritage?

I think because I studied abroad and I have a different background, the general perception is that they find me very Westernized, which makes it totally acceptable that I wear clothes that look different, or take on roles such as God of Cookery [in which she played a buck-toothed, lazy-eyed street vendor], just do quirky things because [they think], oh well, she’s Westernized, she can do these things!

Mok debuts her first English release Jan. 18.

You’ve also spoken out on a number of causes [Mok is a UNICEF ambassador and has campaigned for animal rights and against human trafficking], yet it seems the Chinese media, particularly photographers, often portray you as just another glamour star. Is it hard getting them to listen to what you’re saying?

Well, I think the media love most to report on your personal life—who are you dating and how’s married life and, oh, any plans for babies [laughs]. But they’re people at the end of the day—of course they want to know about these things! But so far, so good. I am very involved in those areas, and I think it really depends on how you deliver your message. You can’t have the whole world listening to you, but you can have an opinion and try to persuade people. That’s why I try to put in my messages or at least my own personality into my work—though at the end of the day for me, it’s really about having a good time!

You recently married your German boyfriend, and you’re living partly in London now. Is this a new phase in your career? Can we expect more work in English in the future?

I’m definitely ready for all sorts of challenges, otherwise I’ll get bored. Perhaps in the future I could do a jazz album with all original works in English—so, yes, we’ll see.
    'Your character in Man of Tai Chi is a cop—is she interesting?' <- got to be one of the worst interview questions ever.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Any word?

Will this be categorized Direct-2-DVD?
    Wasn't Keanu Reeves directing a kung fu movie?
    March 20, 2013
    By: Casey Poma

In prepeartion for "The Man of Tai Chi", Keanu directs the performers of his proof-of-concept video
    Credits:
    Bot & Dolly

Judging from Keanu Reeves' performance of a simple-minded high schooler in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure", no one would think he was capable of martial arts. While he proved his action-hero mettle in "Speed" and "Point Break", he made everyone say "whoa" when he became a fist-throwing, leg-wielding, leather-clad phenom in "The Matrix". As he said, "I know kung fu", and we all believed him.

In late 2011, it was announced that Keanu Reeves would wire-jump onto the other side of the camera and make his directorial debut with a then-unnamed kung fu movie. In July 2012, Keanu released a video showing himself, a crew, and two stuntmen in a studio testing out one of Bot & Dolly's new motion control cameras. On an ever-moving, swiveling arm, the camera was able to spin and twirl around the two performers with awesome, stylistic results. In the video, Keanu went on to say: "the ambition for me was trying to get what I’ve seen done before with CGI and putting the camera in places where you couldn’t get. And have the flesh and blood elements there."

In the same month, it was reported that "The Raid: Redemption"'s Iko Uwais had signed on to join the adventure, which now carried the name "The Man of Tai Chi".

As of early 2013, some sites claim that Keanu filmed the movie in 2012 and that it's in an unknown stage of post-production. While this is totally possible, both the this film's imdb and Wikipedia pages are emptier than ghost towns, and no official on-set photos, stills, posters, or teasers have been released anywhere. So what's happening?

Perhaps we'll find out more when Reeves promotes his newest movie "47 Ronin", a fantastic take on the famous tale of the titular, vengeance-seeking group. Keep your eyes open for any additional news in the coming months and check out the proof-of-concept video if you haven't seen it already.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

i heard its still being shot. there was a scheduling hickup due to 47 ronins, going back for reshoots.

No bot

Exclusive: Keanu Reeves Couldn't Use High-Tech Rig For 'Man Of Tai Chi'
    Posted 6 hours ago by Kevin P. Sullivan in Interviews, News

Last we heard from Keanu Reeves and his martial arts epic of a directorial debut "Man of Tai Chi," he had wrapped principal photography, which was exciting news to anyone who saw a proof of concept video that surfaced online last summer.

For his fight sequences, Reeves intended to use a highly articulate and precise mechanical arm to take the camera above, around, and into the faces of his on-screen combatants. The results of the technique, which we saw briefly in the proof of concept, were impressive enough to make "Man of Tai Chi" something to eagerly anticipate.

But MTV News got some bad news from Reeves when speaking with him about his latest film "generation Um...." It turns out that he wasn't able to use the rig to film the fight sequences in "Man of Tai Chi." Find out why after the jump!

"It was really exciting to go into this idea. I got some feedback from [the reaction to the proof of concept]. It turns out though, ultimately, because we were filming in China, it was a lot simpler to do the proof of concept than to actually use it in the film," Reeves said. "One of the events that happened that was tough was that I wasn't able to use tool in the movie."

Keanu Reeves. Bot & Dolly. Kungfu Proof of Concept

Thankfully, you can't go from shooting an intricate fight scene with a high-tech mechanical arm to just filming the thing straight on. Reeves said his experience with the arm influenced how they eventually shot the scenes.

"It was tough. It was just too big and too much. We had to ship it to China. All sorts of practical consideration ran into the vision and the dream," he said. "It certainly influenced the way that we went forward in terms of shooting some of the fight scenes in terms of the organicness and movement of how we shot some of the fight scenes. I just couldn't go on top. [laughs] I couldn't do an overhead shot with no cut into a close up."
    Poor Keanu.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I always enjoy a Keanu movie, two Matrix movies notwithstanding. Hope this and Ronin comes out soon, and isn't marred by other people stirring his pot.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Images

I was starting to wonder if this project was just some delusion of the Matrix.
    Images for Man of Tai Chi
    by kmiller

It’s been a while since we have heard about Keanu Reeves’ directorial debut film, Man of Tai Chi. The film has a lot of hype surrounding it, and many are clamoring for the latest on this project (including me.) Thankfully, some new images as well as a poster for the film have been released.

For those that don’t know, Man of Tai Chi stars Tiger Chen, a stuntman on the Matrix team. Choreography will be handled by the legendary Yuen Woo-Ping, who also worked on the Matrix.

In addition to these stars, you can also expect to see Iko Uwais, Simon Yam, and Karen Mok. Reeves has a lot to prove with his debut film as a director, but his understanding of the industry and genre may prove to be a fresh breath of air for audiences. If you don’t believe me, check out this fantastic camera demo that was created for the film last year.

Man of Tai Chi Video

I think that this movie has a lot of potential, and it will be interesting to see how Hollywood responds to this type of film. Man of Tai Chi comes out later this year, so the wait won’t be too much longer. I can only hope a trailer is headed our way soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Is Keanu . . . getting younger?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Is Keanu . . . getting younger?
    Whoa........

trailer has dropped!

and while the fights look cool the story really just seems over done and cony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=azbrjFq2L7w

To be honest, it looks exactly like every other American-made MA film. Aren't there any other stories they could do that differ from the overdone tournament scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    To be honest, it looks exactly like every other American-made MA film. Aren't there any other stories they could do that differ from the overdone tournament scenario?
    they could have done plenty.. something original but they didnt..

The tournament plot is so overdone

What's more is that it's always done in such a hackneyed way. It really bothers me as we now have regular tournaments with MMA, and there is so much drama in those that could be converted into an excellent screenplay, but no one seems capable of doing that.
    Guess what?: Iko not featured in ‘Man of Tai Chi’ trailer
    The Jakarta Post | People | Wed, April 24 2013, 2:07 PM

(JP/Triwik Kurniasari)(JP/Triwik Kurniasari)Universal Pictures has released a trailer promoting Man of Tai Chi, which is produced and directed by Hollywood actor Keanu Reeves. The trailer was first shown at the Beijing International Film Festival in China.

Kompas.com reported that in the trailer, Asian movie stars Tiger Chen, Simon Yam and Karen Mok played characters in the movie. However, Indonesian action star Iko Uwais does not appear in the trailer.

Iko, who is married to singer Audi Item, played a crucial role in the movie, which was produced in cooperation with Village Roadshow Asia, China Film Group, Wanda media and Universal Picture.
    Hold the phone...Audi Item?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

An update

Another one working Cannes...
    Keanu Reeves' revolution: Matrix star to direct Chinese-backed kung fu film

With heavy financial support from Beijing, trilingual Man of Tai Chi aims to pack big punch at eastern and western box offices

Keanu in Cannes: Reeves arrives for the Man of Tai Chi photocall. Photograph: Philippe Doignon/Sipa/Rex Features

In 1999, Keanu Reeves made what many people regard as his most memorable film: the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix. Now, he is making his directorial debut – and his martial arts trainer from the Matrix films is to take the starring role in the trilingual Mandarin-, Cantonese- and English-language kung fu movie, which comes with heavy financial backing from the Chinese state.

Speaking at the Cannes film festival, the 48-year-old, who will also take a leading role in the film, called Man of Tai Chi, described his love of kung fu movies. Kindled by seeing Bruce Lee classics as a child, this was later developed by working on The Matrix with his trainer, Tiger Chen, he said. "Kung fu movies are beautiful," he said, "exotic, wonderful, empowering."

"It's like play," he said of the martial art. "There's something childlike about it. They are fake fights – and that's fun." He described how he and Chen bonded during their eight-hours-a-day training sessions for The Matrix.

"He was helping me with the kicks and punches, and then we started telling each other stories," he said. Chen would describe his own martial arts master, who would tempt birds to his hand with seed and then, according to Reeves' recollection of the story, "take their chi" (or life-force).

Reeves added: "We became friends and stayed in touch. He started acting, and we decided to do something together. Over five years, we developed a story."

That story, according to Reeves, is about "a simple delivery guy" in Beijing "who, on the other hand, is a martial-arts artist". Manipulated by Reeves' sinister character, he becomes involved in underground fighting. "As his power rises," said Reeves, "we see his loss of innocence and the journey of a man who must confront himself."

Clips from the film shown in Cannes suggest spectacular fight sequences and a sleekly modern production design of blankly mysterious, grey-painted rooms, instructions barked to the hero by unseen figures behind two-way mirrors and cars driven at speed by tough-faced enigmatic women along China's freeways.

The modern setting, according to producer Lenore Syvan, was important. She said: "There hasn't been a contemporary kung fu movie made for a long time; at the same time it is a homage to the genre."

The fight scenes are choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping, who also devised the martial arts sequences in The Matrix.

The film, which was completed 10 days ago, was shot over 105 days in Beijing and Hong Kong with a multilingual cast and crew. It is hoped the movie will be that rare beast: one that will be enjoyed by a mass western and Chinese audience. It opens in China in July, with international release expected in the autumn. Syvan said she anticipated a film that would "cross borders, oceans and continents".

Reeves has a following in China, not least because of the Matrix films; he is also fondly regarded because of his ancestry (one of his great-grandparents was Chinese, he has previously stated).

On directing in languages that he does not himself speak, Reeves said, "I had to listen. The process was very collaborative, and I had great support in terms of translators." Reeves himself, he said, has a "pretty good fight in this film", and he wanted the "fighting sequences to tell the story. I saw them as acting scenes."

The Toronto-born Reeves sprang to prominence in films such as the comedy Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Kathryn Bigelow's surfing thriller, Point Break. He recently produced and fronted Side By Side, a documentary investigating the death of photochemical film production and the rise of digital, interviewing directors such as the Wachowski brothers, Steven Soderbergh, Martin Scorsese and Danny Boyle.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

1/4 quarter

Radius reaches out for Man of Tai Chi
    By Patrick Frater
    Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:17 PM (HKT)

Radius-TWC, a unit of The Weinstein Company, has acquired North American rights to Keanu REEVES' directorial debut Man of Tai Chi 太極俠.

The film is set in Beijing and Hong Kong and was made in Mandarin, Cantonese and English. The spiritual journey of a young martial artist, it stars Reeves, Tiger CHEN 陳虎, Iko UWAIS and Jeremy Marinas.

The film is a co-production between China Film Group Corporation 中國電影集團公司, Wanda Media Co Ltd 萬達影視傳媒有限公司, Village Roadshow Entertainment Group Asia 威秀電影亞洲公司 and Universal Pictures Inc. The companies screened significant footage of the new production at a promotional event in Cannes.

Radius is expected to release the film in the fourth quarter of 2013.
    Isn't that what they said about 47R last year?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Now that I know more about the plot, I do not see people flocking to see this movie! The reality is that taijiquan and MMA type events do not mix well so it would be interesting to see in plot development and how they film the 'action sequences. I will wait to see previews when they come out!