Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Man of Tai Chi with Keanu Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    Looses

Improves/gains companions

Wins

The balance of the fights: speculation

Man of Tai Chi is a woman--learning from her inept husband/significant other through observation. When he has to protect her she actially Drunken ish of Hunhhh? Meee? Whuuuuuh? Then he gets the credit and thoughinept begins to learn from touch what's behind the moves and gets it. then when badguys realize the earlier fights were won by the woman the guy gets dismissed as far as having Tai Chi but wave after increasing wave is used in an attempt to beat the once inept stylist--escaping from small situations person finally goes to big bad, and we find that there is an even bigger badder. It ends comically after a Humble Moral Win where They have to get groceries (running joke throughout movie)[something like]. Kick-Butt when civilally needed and morally somehow responsible but not excused fro the drudgery of everyday living--Realistic Kung-Fu for a Person of Tai Chi.

No_Know
    the movie isn't even out yet.....nor any story details.

As for "movie fu" real martial artist don't always make good screen fighters..ill take a talented dancer over a black belt any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    As for "movie fu" real martial artist don't always make good screen fighters..ill take a talented dancer over a black belt any day of the week.
    Hmmm...I dunno.

I really liked Blackbelt. The scripting wasn't great, but they used advanced Shotokan practitioners.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

i said real martial artist dont ALWAYS make good screen fighters not never make good screen fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    Hmmm...I dunno.

I really liked Blackbelt. The scripting wasn't great, but they used advanced Shotokan practitioners.
    Actually, one was Shotokan and the other was Goju-ryu.

Yeah, 'movie-fu' or real fu, the most important thing is how someone can present/project themselves, follow directions, etc., etc. Of course, there are tons of actual MAists who do make up the best onscreen 'fighters', but I've seen countless examples of real-life MA experts and champion fighters who are awful onscreen. Whereas in some cases, non-MAists can oftentimes be very convincing. Like any other pursuit, it's a talent; either you have the potential for it or you don't.

One of the best examples of a real-life champion fighter/MAist who looked outstanding onscreen was Benny Urquidez, when being directed by Sammo Hung.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Benny 'The Jet' was awesome onscreen with Jackie. Forget the title, i think it was Meals on Wheels? Anyway, too bad i didn't see him in more flicks. Actually, that's the only one i've seen him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Benny 'The Jet' was awesome onscreen with Jackie. Forget the title, i think it was Meals on Wheels? Anyway, too bad i didn't see him in more flicks. Actually, that's the only one i've seen him in.
    ask jackie chan about that and im sure youll get a much different story...benny kept hitting jackie for real, and jackie wanted to fight him, there was alot of problems, and thats what i mean about real martial artist. some have it, some dont. and the "it" i refer to is timing. which is what a really talented dancer has.

Yes, I heard that about Benny and Jackie, too. I would guess (I may be wrong) that Benny wasn't doing it deliberately. Unfortunately, that's what you get when you cast a fighter in a movie (Wheels on Meals was only Benny's second movie experience). But he still looked great onscreen, and he easily kept up in the choreo with Jackie when Jackie was at his physical peak.

On a side note, I heard that Jackie, and especially Sammo, regularly made hard contact with stuntmen in the '80s, when there was a drive among HK moviemakers for 'realism' in stunts and physical contact. Maybe Benny was a little too realistic for them. Keith Vitali, who fought Yuen Biao in the movie, claimed he was not told that Yuen Biao was going to smash a vase into his head until they did it.

Brule:
    Jackie and Benny movie-fought again a few years later in Dragons Forever. Benny also appeared in a few American films; his first film role was in Force: Five (a bad film). Also had a small part in Grosse Pointe Blank.

Concerning dancers as screen fighters, IMO the best I've seen was Moon Lee (Lee Choi-Fung). She was a dancer who learned 'fu' for the movies but looked outstanding...better than Michelle Yeoh, who was also a dancer. So was Kara Hui.

As for the original topic, I'll just wait to see how Keanu's film turns out.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-28-2011 at 08:35 PM.

it sounds like its gonna be interesting, ill go for the fights if nothing else...doesnt sound better then man with the iron fist thou...that movie just sounds like its gona be bananas...

I'll probably end up watching this when it comes out. I thought Reeves did an ok job with the choreography for the Matrix series, although i found him really stiff necked in a lot of scenes. Not sure what happened during the filming of the last Matrix film as some of the commentary on it seems to suggest Woo-Ping wasn't around and Reeves and Weaving were just winging it, i could be wrong.

Dante lam took over when woo ping wasn't around. And the reason he seemed stiff necked is because he seriously injured it during filming if you watch making of footage during two and three he wore a neck brace.

Dante lam took over when woo ping wasn't around. And the reason he seemed stiff necked is because he seriously injured it during filming if you watch making of footage during two and three he wore a neck brace.
    Interesting...but I agree Keanu looks stiff necked in several of his movies. I just thought it was a posture thing with him.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Probably the case although i was also thinking about the first part , the second two installments, he actually seemed to be getting more comfortable with the action sequences. Funny, i read it mentioned somewhere after the first one came out that they purposely had him really stiff and rigid and their explanation of that was because he was just pulled out of the matrix and thus his muscles were not used to moving let alone learning 'kung fu'. They basically made it part of the story of the film. I found it a lame excuse albeit clever to use.

I've gotta see it

Any martial arts film buff has to see this. Come on now. I see every major martial arts film eventually. Why wouldn't I? I love martial arts films. Even the horrible ones. It's an addiction.

"Hello, my name is Gene, and I'm a martial arts movie addict."

This could be a game changer. This could also be horrible. Whatever it is, I've still gotta see it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i think this mixed with man with the iron fist is gonna open up some doors..its what ive been saying...making martial arts films, that mix it up a bit...not all this foreign devil crap, or the subliminal patriotism...just a good linear story with tons of ass kicking.