Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TCMA Approach

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like frank shamrock?
    More like Brock Lesnar.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Maybe less computer, more training

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwoo View Post
    Maybe less computer, more training
    Maybe missing point of internet forum?

hes too busy air bending for internet

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I type with my chi.
    Sith Legal Kung Fu is unstoppable.

hes too busy air bending for internet
    actually, in a way, his post epitomizes the whole point of this thread - meaning that when TCMA gets put under the microscope, there's always someone who comes on and say "less computer, more training"; in fact, it's really more like "less [fill in the blank], more training" - as if if one has the time to talk about TCMA (here or elsewhere), one is not training enough; it's such rubbish, really;

im from same town as his bak siu lum grandaddy gu ru zhang. i dont even do bak siu lum and i can meet people he dreams of ass kissing. tellin people to train more like hes speshul.

by training he probably means do some gay ass form for 2 hours.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    TCMA should be honest with itself first, and should from now on refer to itself as "Combat Yoga";
    Its true. But what helps me is looking at "Kung Fu" as a whole set of curriculum. For example, Hsing-I for power, wing-chun for speed or trapping, ect.

But the point is, everyone will take what they will from a system. Some will develop in a way where they want to study other things to fill voids. Others will stick with one.

Bad training is simply bad training. True, there are sifu much more concerned with the position of their shrine than the affectiveness of what they teach, but ultimately I blame the student for staying. You have a brain. Look around the class.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 04-03-2011 at 06:43 AM.

instead of "build-a-bear" with all the parts, its "build-a-style" with all the diff menu choices...

im all for hybrids, but some would strongly disagree... of course not all hybrids are better, but they can be...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    When you tell a

- boxer that boxing is lacking throw, that boxer will agree with you.
    - Judoka that Judo is lacking strike, that Judoka will agree with you.

When you tell a TCMA guy that his style doesn't have this and that, he will argue you to death.

Why?
    In arguing like this, the TCMA guy will be right and wrong. He will be right in that when looking at TCMAs as whole, one cannot really point and say that they are missing important aspects.

However, the TCMA guy will probably be wrong in that he is not really training his art or arts, the way they were meant to be trained. So yes, the chances are that he will be missing aspects from his style, but usually because his art is not being taught in its whole, just as it happens so often nowadays.

This is the other side of the coin as regards the point made earlier by someone, that one cannot survive financially by soleley teaching TCMAs as they were meant to be taught. I would go further and say that over 95% Kung fu teachers don't even have that knowledge to share, even if they were able to survive financially. There are just too many unqualified "sifus" out there, unfortunately.

For example, how many people are training WC in all of its aspects? How many are training Chow Gar, Hsing I, Pak Mei and other profound arts beyond the superficial? Not many, I would say.

So, if you have an profound fighting art being taught in an incomplete and superficial way by most of the instructors, the result will as you correctly implied, a lot of insecure TCMA-ists telling us that they are not missing anything, even when they are. My only point here is that many times it is not the style that is missing certain aspects, but the instruction these people are getting.

Other times of course, one can correctly point out to weaknesses in certain styles.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 04-03-2011 at 02:06 PM.

im from same town as his bak siu lum grandaddy gu ru zhang. i dont even do bak siu lum and i can meet people he dreams of ass kissing. tellin people to train more like hes speshul.

by training he probably means do some gay ass form for 2 hours.
    You've mistaken me for someone else

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Maybe missing point of internet forum?
    I am reading here but training more Truthfully I am tired of the type casting and brand namings of martial art as we elevate one to put down another. Train the body to be strong, train the technique precise with the timing then call it what you will.

Best wishes to all here.
    Last edited by Wildwoo; 04-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.

how about training to not send me passive aggresive private messages

all that fire bending got u guys all ornery

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    im all for hybrids, but some would strongly disagree... of course not all hybrids are better, but they can be...
    I don't look at it as hybridization. I have 12 years of karate, about 5 of hung gar, wing chun and S. Mantis, and then about 6 of internal study..... maybe I have't mastered any. But I certainly have controlled, accurate, powerful striking. With a solid entering/shielding strategy/game plan.

I now have about 5 years of BJJ study. I'm very good at finishing and controlling from side control. I have good sweeps from guard and a good guard pass to get that position. I also like to double legs now. Great tool to have in the tool box. Powerful move.

After 4 years of collage followed by continued self educating and reading I can discuss science, sports, history pretty well but my best subject will always be literature. You usually have one that's your thing.

Honestly, I feel like I take to BJJ very naturally. It comes easy to me. But it has over 20 years of training behind it. STructure. Mechanics. Position < ------- every style works with those. The better ones work with them similarly.

Another thing I like about BJJ is that its organized. I turn 37 in 4 weeks. In a year I think I can compete in the Master's Age group internationally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    someone thinks standing makes them invincible?
    - Running is better than walking.
    - Walking is better than standing.
    - Standing is better than sitting.
    - Sitting is better than laying down.
    - Laying down is better than "dead".

When you move a tree, that tree will die. When you move a human body, that person will live longer. When you go to prison, you will have all the time in the world to train your "standing". When you are free and out of jail, you should see the beautiful world and enjoy your life.