Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TCMA Approach

Ask yourself why you are doing martial arts.

When I started out it was for self-defense.

Then I became more interested in combat sports and competition.

Now I just want to compete at an amateur level while young.

The rest my life will be toward the preservation and evolution of Buk Sing CLF and hopefully, the entirety of Chinese martial arts.

I'm a very proud person and this is my heritage. I see the state of CMA and it makes me sad and while I won't ever teach professionally, this is literally "a part of my life." It's just as important to me as any other education.

Through fighting you realize that becoming "the best" is such a silly statement. Even if you have every physical gift in the world one day old age will get the best of you. And then the young hungry lions will still murder you.

But this for me is beyond learning combat science. This is about saving whatever face TCMA has left, as much as I can do. It's probably not much but seems that most people don't really care.

No offense but if you are not Chinese then you shouldn't feel any obligation to do anything great for "TCMA." If you do, for example Brenden Tunks is someone I have a lot of respect for, because he is really keeping the spirit of TCMA alive and also evolving it further. He is not Chinese yet he is keeping our face and turning this sordid state around, little by little. For me is beyond what most people care for. For me it's national pride, history, and culture.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Wildwoo is offline 苦練在最熱的天,夏季和冬季最寒冷的日子 !
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    how about training to not send me passive aggresive private messages

all that fire bending got u guys all ornery
    You are a ray of sunshine buddy.

Bwaaaahhaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    No offense but if you are not Chinese then you shouldn't feel any obligation to do anything great for "TCMA." If you do, for example Brenden Tunks is someone I have a lot of respect for, because he is really keeping the spirit of TCMA alive and also evolving it further. He is not Chinese yet he is keeping our face and turning this sordid state around, little by little. For me is beyond what most people care for. For me it's national pride, history, and culture.
    brendon tunks got no ego and his students are fighters. this guy has more spirit and heart than a lot of chinese people.
    No offense but if you are not Chinese then you shouldn't feel any obligation to do anything great for "TCMA."
    for a lot of people its not obligation. its a need. people cling to something because they feel empty . if its not kung fu it would be something else
    Last edited by bawang; 04-03-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Bawang has spoken.

Personally it has more to do with my system and my teacher than with defending the honor of TCMA. Hell I don't give a rat's fu**ck about any other Pai Lum lineage to he honest or defending the honor of the Chinese. What I do care about is taking the system my instructor taught me and seeing it evolve and improve, which all arts should strive to do, not just TCMA. Of course if you listen to other, lesser forum members on here they will tell you the Chinese did everything right and nothing wrong, and all systems are perfect.

But most of us with an inkling of knowledge know that all things that do not evolve or improve stay stagnant and diseased like a puddle of water instead of a flowing stream. Be like flowing water my friend!
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 04-04-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    Bawang has spoken.
    ...with the voice of authority that any college student has... lol

no offense bawang, but...lol

TCMA has many approaches.
    Some people do it with a real down to earth approach and work at it and yes, for the rest of their lives. It's something to do while you travel around the sun, like anything else.

Some people stick to the qigong aspect only.

Some people stick to the forms and incessant bowing to master with every word spoken.

Some people take from it what they will and work it into the training they do and so on and so forth.

There is no such thing as "one" kung fu. Or one tcma approach or even A tcma approach.

When you start shoving things into pigeon holes, then you can expect to find them there and understand them from that perspective.

the truth about any art form is that you only do it to pass time. In 100 years you will likely be unknown, in 1000 years no one is remembered except for the vaguest reminders and then, only for the greatly noted ones apparently.

so I wouldn't worry about being a master or having others view you as such. If you can always keep your humanity at the front of everything else, you'll be fine and none of your pursuits will suffer from that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Personally it has more to do with my system and my teacher than with defending the honor of TCMA. Hell I don't give a rat's fu**ck about any other Pai Lum lineage to he honest or defending the honor of the Chinese. What I do care about is taking the system my instructor taught me and seeing it evolve and improve, which all arts should strive to do, not just TCMA. Of course if you listen to other, lesser forum members on here they will tell you the Chinese did everything right and nothing wrong, and all systems are perfect.

But most of us with an inkling of knowledge know that all things that do not evolve or improve stay stagnant and diseased like a puddle of water instead of a flowing stream. Be like flowing water my friend!
    I hear ya. In that regard you ARE doing what many Chinese do not have the guts to do (lose face yadda yadda).

Because you DON'T have that ethnic connection.

For those like me who have that it was quite difficult to come to face with reality and finally admit not all was gravy. But what a breathe of fresh air when I finally did!!!
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

any real fighter has guts and no face to lose.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

When you accept that each kung fu style is a body of techniques based around principles, you work to learn those techniques and then understand the principles, and, like other skills, eventually you know the style.

When you accept that it's only principles, and deny that the techniques are the best examples the founders came up with, and thus worth special attention, you never know the style. Either you fill in gaps with other styles, or you face that the techniques are important, or you flounder endlessly in regards to knowing that style. You might be good, but you cannot call yourself expert in that style.

That's my opinion.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Any system of fighting needs to have a working set of principles (theory) and the techniques governed by that theory.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Any system of fighting needs to have a working set of principles (theory) and the techniques governed by that theory.
    Very true, and to take it a step further that system needs practioners who are willing to put it on the line either in competition or in full contact sparring to pressure test those theories and techniques to see if what they practice works!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Very true, and to take it a step further that system needs practioners who are willing to put it on the line either in competition or in full contact sparring to pressure test those theories and techniques to see if what they practice works!
    This is called trial and error.

Unfortunately most people don't like to take this step.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Blog Entries
    system needs practioners who are willing to put it on the line either in competition or in full contact sparring to pressure test those theories and techniques to see if what they practice works!
    I have always believed that this is the "only" way to develop your skill. You use 2 men drill to "develop" your move. You then use sparring to "test" your move. It will take about 6 months to develop just a single dependable move by using this method.