Thread: Banning Shark Fin Soup

Hybrid View

Some success on the Shark Fin soup front

It looks like Yao and WildAid are having some success in banning shark fin soup in China. Consumption is down 50 to 70%.

Shark Fin soup

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports

Yao Ming’s presence in the fight to ban the selling of shark fin soup in China is being credited for an affirming-wave of anti-shark fin sentiment in Yao’s home country. The ancient practice of culling a shark’s fin for high-end cuisine has been derided for decades outside of China, as the shark is usually left to bleed to death in the sea instead of reasonably harvested for its entire body. The growing number of endangered sharks was affecting the food chain and delicate ecosystem balance in the Pacific Ocean.

According to the Washington Post, though, things are changing as more and more diners from Yao’s home turf are becoming aware of just how destructive the shark fin trade had become. We reported on Yao’s participation in the fight two years ago, and in the time since we’ve seen significant and tangible change for the better. From the Post:

Thanks to a former NBA star, a coalition of Chinese business leaders, celebrities and students, and some unlikely investigative journalism, eating shark fin soup is no longer fashionable here. But what really tipped the balance was a government campaign against extravagance that has seen the soup banned from official banquets.

“People said it was impossible to change China, but the evidence we are now getting says consumption of shark fin soup in China is down by 50 to 70 percent in the last two years,” said Peter Knights, executive director of WildAid, a San Francisco-based group that has promoted awareness about the shark trade. The drop is also reflected in government and industry statistics.

“It is a myth that people in Asia don’t care about wildlife,” Knights said. “Consumption is based on ignorance rather than malice. ”

[…]

But in 2006, WildAid enlisted Chinese professional basketball player Yao Ming, who played for the Houston Rockets, to front a public awareness campaign. One ad showed diners refusing the soup when confronted with the gory reality of sharks whose fins have been sliced off. The finless fish are often tossed back into the sea to die.

If anyone is still wondering what the dish actually tastes like, watch this clip of Gordon Ramsay attempting to understand what’s so darn special about the bowl (NSFW, with one F-bomb):

For those of you that don’t want to sit through the video, understand that the fin itself is a completely superfluous part of the actual dish. It’s a basic chicken and soy broth, flavored with pork and augmented with fresh coriander, bamboo shoots, and red wine vinegar. The fin has next to no taste after days of washing, rehydrating, and boiling. I’m sure the broth itself is fantastic (you can’t really go wrong with chicken stock, pork and soy sauce), but the fin is needless. It’s all for show. “The broth is delicious,” Ramsay concludes, “but it could have anything in there” instead of a shark fin.

That “show” used to be relegated to the elite class in China. Now, with the growing middle class, more and more were acting the part of the high end culture and paying money for a soup that is more about status than taste, with a wildly destructive influence on both the sharks that are maimed and left to die for one part of their anatomy, and the overall food chain structure that the massive harvesting of shark fins is on its way to destroying.

Or, was on its way to destroying. Thank in large part to a giant of a man in both stature, and commitment to the greater good.

As huge fans of Yao’s, there is a downside of not being able to watch the retired Yao Ming play NBA basketball later this month. But after reading more and more about his off the court exploits, it’s hard to balance our selfish need to watch him toss in jump hooks, and the actual progress he’s making in his home country.

Greetings,

When it came to sea food life, I always thought that balance could be regained through the use of periodic moratoriums.

mickey

Blog Entries
    We don't have to kill to survive. We should ban all "killing".
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We don't have to kill to survive. We should ban all "killing".
    What are you talking about? Instead of killing the cow we will just cut one leg off at a time??

I like shark fin soup. I have had it only a handful of times but it is pretty good. There are plenty of sharks in the ocean so nobody start the endangered list stuff.

I was watching some documentary about Shark Fin so you know how that goes. It depends on which way they are biased towards. But they said that sharks are caught for their fins only and then the finless bodies are dumped into the ocean while still alive to die a slow death. Because shark meat gets tainted really fast due to them peeing through their body or something....therefore not very palatable.... and on a fishing boat, all caught fish are packed very closely together (due to space constraint) and the shark taints the other fishes.

I'm all for eating any kind of animals including the plentiful dogs and cats. Just as long as we don't mess up ecosystems nor torture them for fun like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXSJZr5L8Q

Top Predators like sharks are important to the marine environment. Like right now they are needed to help curve the Lion Fish problem.
    Last edited by gunbeatskroty; 11-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbeatskroty View Post
    Top Predators like sharks are important to the marine environment. Like right now they are needed to help curve the Lion Fish problem.
    Yep, overfishing of sharks has lead to numerous cases of predator release on mesopredators in ocean communities. These spikes in mid trophic levels have all sorts of disastrous consequences. Mesopredators begin predating increasingly on herbivorous fish, which results in increased algae. Algae cover kills reefs. Reefs are not only freaking awesome to dive in, but are incredibly economically important to commercial fisheries that rely on the reefs as spawning grounds for their catch.

Shark declines have lead to ray populations increasing. This has caused damages to bivalve populations that some of those species prey upon. Anyone who has lived on the east coast knows how important oysters and clams are to the economy. And they are necessary to clean up our own messes in the systems. Oysters are incredibly important in filtering water full of all the crap we throw in it due to ag runoff and the like.

Simply put, Chinese culture can go screw itself in this regard. Chinese consumption of shark is harming ecosystems and the economies of those who rely on those ecosystems, the world over.

This is no surprise. Chinese have been screwing up lots of places by poaching. They've eradicated their own native turtle populations and now its becoming more and more common to see southeast box turtles being sold over there. There are people going to the other side of the planet to poach a testudine. That's ridiculous. And rather infuriating that something that has been in the lowland forests I grew up around to now be at risk due to idiots on the other side of the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Yep, overfishing of sharks has lead to numerous cases of predator release on mesopredators in ocean communities. These spikes in mid trophic levels have all sorts of disastrous consequences. Mesopredators begin predating increasingly on herbivorous fish, which results in increased algae. Algae cover kills reefs. Reefs are not only freaking awesome to dive in, but are incredibly economically important to commercial fisheries that rely on the reefs as spawning grounds for their catch.
    Simply put, Chinese culture can go screw itself in this regard. Chinese consumption of shark is harming ecosystems and the economies of those who rely on those ecosystems, the world over.

<snipped> but lots of good stuff you posted in a nutshell. I'm not in the fishing trade, but I think it should be mandatory that they make all fishermen pass some kind of environmental/bio type tests in order to get their commercial fishing license. Then force them to take Continuing Education in order to renew their licenses ever 2-3 years like other industries do.

As an Asian, I'll be the first say that Asians will screw the crap out of the environment and not give a crap. Over-harvesting, poaching, not throwing back babies, etc. All of that Kung-Fu spiritualism, one with nature joint....are just KF movie BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiked View Post
    I like shark fin soup. I have had it only a handful of times but it is pretty good. There are plenty of sharks in the ocean so nobody start the endangered list stuff.
    You have absolutely zero clue to what you are talking about.