Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Back Curl - The Concave chest

I would put a bet on you learning this from some conman trying to take a ride on the cultural kung fu rollercoaster of the sixties!
    IMO there was no such roller coaster in the 1960s. 70's more like it. You weren't there, so how would you know?

Others have dealt with your other ignorant,disrespectful and patronising remarks, for which they have my thanks.

I didn't study this style of boxing. However, my first KF instructor, David Crook, was familiar with it and discussed and demonstrated some of its concepts with me while he was teaching me other things. He was also friendly with Erle Montaigue and they corresponded and occasionally joked at each other's expense in articles in the martial arts press at the time.

Erle was a prolific author and probably wrote more and in greater detail on Dim Mak and internal TCMA than anyone else before him. He even spent a bit of time as a pro wrestler in his younger days.

He courted controversy and got into feuds with a number of other prominent Australian and international martial arts identities (some of whom relative newbies like Spencer might not have heard , though they include George Dillman and the Gracies), but undoubtedly the MA scene world wide is better for his involvement and poorer for his passing.

http://www.taijiworld.com
    http://taichirenegade.com

background on Erle for anyone who doesn't think they know everything already.
    Last edited by anerlich; 02-16-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

My opinion is similar to those who said that the concave chest is something that is more natural and not something forced. From my own training I've definitely been told about the concave chest by Sifu but at the same time told that forcing such things would only lead to being tense and overexerting oneself and that's never really a good thing.

On a side note, someone did bring up Tai Chi and I also noticed the similarity when training Tai Chi. Especially after beginning the Yang Style in 37 postures I had bought one of Chen Man Ching's books and even he mentioned that in regards to tai chi, the chest is inwards but the spine is still straight, and that overexerting or forcing these things past what is natural would bring about more bad results than good.

Now this may not apply to every school and lineage of Ving Tsun, but for me I was also taught/shown that there is a type of energy that can be used offensively with the whole concave chest. Yea, it may be best for taking in energy from an opponent, but at the same time Ving Tsun is full of techniques in the form where the energy is being pulled back with one hand/arm while being shot forwards with the other. Imho, sometimes it doesn't have to be about maximizing forward energy, perhaps maintaining the same forward energy while maximizing pulling energy can also increase the effectiveness of a strike. But this is all just from what I know now, and I'm no Sifu, so of course I could learn more and think differently as time goes on, so if my opinion does seem insane, please be gentle lol.

To be fair to Lone Tiger that video clip was poor

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Spencer,

The fist that the late Erle Montaigue is demonstrating is called "Long Xia Quan/Lung Har Kuen/Dragon Shrimp Fist". In other words "prawn kung fu", which is relevant to your conversation with Andrew.

Erle was a bit of a showman, but he studied some real martial arts, and despite his pants, I'm sure he would have kicked your tiny disrespectful arse in a few seconds. His recent passing will be mourned by many. He was a unique fellow.
    Really? I had no idea he was so well known and even if I did I don't see how you of all people can throw the 'disrespectful' towel at anyone! That was definitely not my intention. Just having fun with his trouser choice on that clip. No big deal IMHO as I personally had never heard of the guy...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    IMO there was no such roller coaster in the 1960s. 70's more like it. You weren't there, so how would you know?
    True. I know nothing of these times as I don't know anyone who lived through that either... I know nothing about World War II either but respect the opinion of my grandfathers.

Others have dealt with your other ignorant,disrespectful and patronising remarks, for which they have my thanks.
    Tell me how having fun is being ignorant, disrespectfu or patronising? As I said to Robert, I had never heard of the guy. My fault and I apologise if anyone was really offended by my joke!

I didn't study this style of boxing. However... la di da!
    You see? If I was to take your knee jerk approach I would say to you "so shut up then! what do you know about it if you haven't done it yourself??""

http://www.taijiworld.com
    http://taichirenegade.com

background on Erle for anyone who doesn't think they know everything already.
    Thanks for the links. I will look into Erles history to see if there is anything there at all that will help me with my Wing Chun.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    To be fair to Lone Tiger that video clip was poor
    Thank you for you honesty.

I go away for a weekend and look what happens??! Misunderstandings and bullying by people who really should know better IMHHHO
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

If I was to take your knee jerk approach
    LOL at knee-jerk. I provide you with some info, you react stupidly, I watch you progressively make a bigger idiot of yourself over a number of posts, others tell you you are being a moron, but you keep digging that hole deeper towards the centre of the nitwitsphere ... yeah, right.

Misunderstandings and bullying by people who really should know better
    You suggested I'd been taken in by conmen in the sixties. You're in no position to lecture anyone on "misunderstandings", manufacture offense at being denigrated, or set any standards for forum behaviour.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Sorry dude! But if that clip is considered 'serious' Martial Art I guess I lose. But seriously? I have no sound here at work and just looking at this guy rocking back and forth in his clown pants doesn't do anything for me.

In fact these two look exactly like the sixties throwbacks I was telling you about.

Hopefully you haven't wasted your time trying to learn any of that madness? Took 6 mins for him to show a slap to the back of the head dude? WFT has that to do with Prawn Kung Fu??
    I'm new on this forum and I really don't want to be disrespectful to anybody. Honest. But after I watched that clip and then read this post by Lone Tiger I laughed so hard I almost shot coffee out my nose. Those were exactly my thoughts as well! I would love to see a kung-fu school that used those plaid "clown pants" and sandals as the official uniform. Can you imagine? C'mon, anerlich you gotta see the light side of that. Jeez!

I'm new on this forum and I really don't want to be disrespectful to anybody.
    Good to know. Stay here a bit longer, your attitude may change.

Can you imagine? C'mon, anerlich you gotta see the light side of that. Jeez!
    I can see the light (sic) side of it. I used to have pants like that in the 80's, though I wouldn't have let myself be captured on video in 'em.

There are "official uniforms" I've seen that are way worse than that.

That image isn't as funny to me as the one I have in my head of LT 108 tripping over his own tongue and landing with his foot in his mouth, and every subsequent time he opens his mouth, the foot going in a little deeper.

YMMV, I guess.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for standing in for 'the banned.' I really missed all the name-calling and cheap shots so I'm really happy to have it all back.

It's just like my children. "He hit me first, so I hit him back." Funny how I can teach my kids that the cycle has to stop somewhere, but the WC folk? Fuggedaboutit.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    Funny how I can teach my kids that the cycle has to stop somewhere, but the WC folk? Fuggedaboutit.
    Your own kids listen to you? What is your secret? If you can break that "cycle" you are beyond even "moderator" material. Heck, have you considered negotiating peace in the Middle East?!? --Geezer, speaking as a clueless dad! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    Your own kids listen to you? What is your secret? If you can break that "cycle" you are beyond even "moderator" material. Heck, have you considered negotiating peace in the Middle East?!? --Geezer, speaking as a clueless dad! LOL
    ***Caveat: my children are still young and impressionable by their father. I await my demise in 10 years or so...
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

I always think about it its just more hard training they will get when they are old enough,

A Kuen Kuit concerning the topic: Food for thought

- Pull in the chest, push out the upper back, and bring in the tail bone.

This is actually a simple issue.

Concave chest and slight tilt tail bone is just a signature of Loose/relax spine + waist.
    if the spine and waist is in a good handling; concave chest ... will show without forcing it to be this or that.

Take a look at the Ip Man and Bruce picture.
    Clearly Bruce body broken into three pieces the hip and bottom, the shoulder and above, and mid section. That is the indication of he cant use his body as unity but brute force. His breathing is not low but stuck at chest. Which is contrary to Ip man.

Failing to see the above details and just mimic posture will not get one a proper structure, one's breathing cant even get down to lower abs with ease, not to mention fajing, huajing....etc.

Qi will not sink to Dan dien that is forsure and thus deeper dynamics cant surface.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.