Thread: All's Well, Ends Well

Hybrid View

Awew 2012

Follow the link for the trailer.
    English-subbed Trailer For Donnie Yen's Latest Comedy
    by Hugo Ozman, January 11, 2012 7:17 AM

If you have seen and liked the music video for Donnie Yen's new film ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2012 that we posted just before Christmas, you may also want to check out the film's new English-subbed trailer that has become available.

The comedy is directed by Chan Hing-ka and Janet Chun (ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2011, LA COMEDIE HUMAINE), and features an all star cast including Donnie Yen, Louis Koo, Kelly Chen, Lynn Hung, Chapman To and Sandra Ng.

ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL 2012 is due to be released in Hong Kong and China just before Chinese New Year. And for my fellow Australians, the film has been picked up by China Lion for distribution and will open in cinemas on Australia Day.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

More on AWEW 2012

Film Review: All's Well Ends Well 2012
    Couples face romantic problems and occasional jokes in the latest entry in a long-running Hong Kong series.
    Jan 26, 2012
    -By Daniel Eagan

The seventh in a series of romantic comedies tied to the Chinese New Year, All's Well Ends Well 2012 flings four couples through minor entanglements before delivering them to happy endings. Plotwise a step up from last year's casually ****phobic outing, All's Well Ends Well 2012 skimps pretty severely on actual comedy. Asian viewers will still enjoy watching various Hong Kong movie stars make fools of themselves onscreen. Outsiders are likely to be baffled by all the commotion.

Returning from All's Well Ends Well 2011 are the four male leads as well as the ebullient comedienne Sandra Ng, who starred with Stephen Chow and Maggie Cheung in the first entry of the series back in 1992. Ng plays Chelsia, a down-on-her-luck pop star who latches onto Carl Tam (martial-arts star Donnie Yen in a fright wig), once a member of a 1990s boy band. They audition for a musical, leading to amusing parody videos of disco, Bollywood, and Hong Kong pop duo The Twins, along with long dramatic passages about staying true to your dreams no matter what everyone else says.

Last year Louis Koo played a makeup artist who pretends to be gay to advance his career; here he's a blue-collar construction worker who falls for high-class photographer Julie (Kelly Chen) with disastrous results. Koo has fun stripping down for his modeling sessions, and Chen is appropriately icy, but their storyline is too predictable, and never builds to big laughs.

Raymond Wong, a producer on the series since its inception, plays a divorce lawyer estranged from his wife and daughter. He agrees to fill in as a father figure for orphaned Cecilia (mainland star Yang Mi), who has a week to marry to gain her inheritance. An old-school sentimentalist, Wong leans toward scenes that are squishy and maudlin, although he does come up with a funny mahjong game involving old pop songs and hopping vampires.

Last and weirdest, Chapman To is Hugo, a novelist who agrees to date blind ballerina Charmine (Lynn Xiong) so she can experience romance. A narcissist despite his looks—To reportedly based him on director Peter Chan (Wuxia)—Hugo is both cruel and insecure, a combination that results in very few laughs. In fact, the best joke in the film is pretending that the stunning Xiong couldn't find a date.

The previous All's Well films were pretty ramshackle affairs, which was part of the fun. Imagine genuine Hollywood stars showing up in a Scary Movie episode to mock their previous performances in song and dance, and you get a sense of how All's Well Ends Well operated. This entry has a bit more narrative cohesion, but at the expense of that "anything goes" humor that made the series so watchable.

On the other hand, if the idea of making fun of Canto-pop, Asian millionaires and Peter Chan cracks you up, All's Well Ends Well 2012 is the film you've been waiting for.
    Donnie as an ex-boy band member...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

this is funny title of the thread because i know someone who owns a proctology clinic that is named; Alls well that ends well
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

You said that last year, Lucas

Almost a year to the date.

They say the memory is the first thing to go.

I forget what the second thing is.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL i see that now. man i should read old threads before i respond, but at least im consistant!!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    but at least im consistant!!!
    I'm sure that's what they say after leaving proctology clinic too.

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    I'm sure that's what they say after leaving proctology clinic too.
    bwahahahah!!!