Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Whisky!

Hybrid View

Let's go to Kentucky!

Thousands of Bourbon Barrels Come Crashing Down in Kentucky

Warehouse No. 30 on the Barton 1792 Distillery campus in Bardstown, Ky., partly collapsed on Friday. About 9,000 barrels were amid the rubble.Credit Chief Billy Mattingly/Bardstown Fire Department, via Associated Press
    By Maya Salam
    June 22, 2018

Bourbon is flowing in Kentucky, but don’t grab a glass.

Thousands of full barrels of bourbon, and possibly other spirits, came crashing down when a storage warehouse in Bardstown, Ky., partly collapsed on Friday.

The collapse at the Barton 1792 Distillery campus was called in to emergency services about 10:55 a.m., Milt Spalding, an emergency services director in Nelson County, said during a news conference on Friday.

The structure houses about 20,000 barrels, and an aerial video showed half of the building demolished. About 9,000 barrels were amid the rubble, Mr. Spalding said. Each barrel holds 53 gallons.

Thousands Of Bourbon Barrels Smash To Ground In Distillery Collapse Credit Video by CBSDFW

The cause of the collapse was still unknown as of Friday evening, but it did not appear to be weather related, Mr. Spalding said. No injures were reported.

The Environmental Protection Agency responded to the collapse because of concerns that alcohol may have seeped into the area’s groundwater.

Early tests came back clean, Mr. Spalding said. But the state’s emergency response team — the Division of Waste Management and the Division of Water — had been on the site and was expected to collect more samples soon, John Mura, a spokesman for Kentucky’s Energy and Environment Cabinet, said in an email on Friday afternoon.

“There is a stream of bourbon and water running down the hillside that has taken much time to properly and thoroughly assess,” Mr. Mura said.

The spill has affected nearby Withrow Creek, a tributary to Beech Fork, but “it appears to be minimal,” he said.

While most of the visible barrels appear intact, Mr. Mura said, “there is a large pile of debris that is undoubtedly hiding a number of ruptured barrels.”

Mr. Spalding said that cleanup would be handled by Barton Brands, which is owned by Sazerac.

Barton has been able to “quickly construct containment and an environmental contractor is on site to start recovery,” Mr. Mura said.

According to its website, Barton 1792 Distillery was established in 1879 and is the oldest fully operating distillery in Bardstown, about 40 miles southeast of Louisville.

The distillery is on 196 acres, and there are more than two dozen barrel aging warehouses. The collapse was of warehouse No. 30, which houses a mix of distilled products at various ages, Amy Preske, a spokeswoman for Sazerac, said in an emailed statement. Ms. Preske said they had not yet been able to confirm what spirit was in each barrel as of Friday evening.

In its statement, Sazerac said that it was “assessing how many of the impacted barrels can be recovered” and that it may take days or weeks before a full report is complete.

The collapse and spill will not affect normal operations and the distillery should be open for tours on Saturday, according to Sazerac.

When asked on Friday if that area smelled overwhelmingly like bourbon, Kevin Grayson, the acting lieutenant for the Bardstown Fire Department, said, “This is Bardstown, it kind of always smells like bourbon.”

According to data shared in 2017 by the Kentucky Distillers’ Association, 95 percent of the world’s bourbon supply is crafted in Kentucky, where it is an $8.5 billion industry.

A version of this article appears in print on June 22, 2018, on Page A16 of the New York edition with the headline: Kentucky Collapse Destroys Thousands of Bourbon Barrels
    Meh, as whiskey disasters go, this is nothing compared to the Great Whiskey Fire (aka 1875 Chamber Street fire) which claimed some 13 victims - each died from alcohol poisoning.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey

Let's see now. When it comes to drinks, Bruce Lee has a posthumous line of teas. And Conor has...

But still, I luv Irish whiskey and must try this.

NOTORIOUS’ MMA STAR CONOR MCGREGOR DEBUTS HIS OWN IRISH WHISKEY
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Cat Wolinski / @beeraffair
    Updated on 2018-09-18

Photo Credit: Conor McGregor Official / Instagram.com

Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) star and former UFC champion Conor McGregor announced on Monday the launch of his own whiskey, Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey, in Ireland and the U.S. this month.

Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey is produced by Erie Born Spirits, a company founded by McGregor, who will also serve as its chairman and majority owner, according to a press release. He has been referring to the venture as “Project Notorious.”

McGregor worked with master distiller David Elder to develop the blend. “We created close to one hundred blends and ultimately selected what we knew was the one and only proper whiskey blend. We took the time to develop an incredible whiskey and I’m excited to share it with the world,” McGregor said. The whiskey is described as “complex and sophisticated yet smooth and approachable with hints of vanilla, honey and toasted wood.”

Proper No. Twelve is named for the Dublin district from which McGregor hails, Dublin 12. “It’s a place dear to my heart. It’s where I learned how to fight; it made me who I am today. It’s a place I’m still very much a part of every single day of my life,” McGregor said, continuing, “I respect other Irish whiskeys, but I am coming in strong, with passion and with purpose. I am the founder of this company and I am going to give it my all.”

Proper No. Twelve will launch in liquor stores starting this month, retailing for $25 per 750-ml bottle (between €20 to €25), the Irish Post reports. In addition to its relatively affordable price tag, this whiskey gives back: $5 of every case, up to $1 million a year, will be donated to local first responders and charities.

“First responders all over the world are the unsung heroes who act with courage and answer the call of duty every day for people in need. I have great respect for these men and women,” McGregor said.

Mad respect, McGregor.

THREADS
    Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Grace “Amazing Grace” Jones

Reminds me of Doris Olive Netting. I'm beginning to think these elderly people are just scamming free drinks. Which is super wise.

[QUOTE]
    112-year-old woman credits longevity to nightly dram of single malt whiskey

Allison Shoemaker
    Yesterday 1:45pm
    Filed to:WHISKEY

Photo: Marina113 (iStock)

The oldest person in Great Britain celebrated her 112th birthday this week, and to mark the occasion, she gave away her secret to longevity: A dram of single malt whiskey, every night for the last sixty years.

Grace “Amazing Grace” Jones, who was born in Liverpool in 1906, told the Daily Mail that she has a nightcap of Famous Grouse Single Malt Whiskey nightly, and has done so for 62 years. That means she began this tradition in 1956. One hopes she is being sent a large case of free Famous Grouse right now as thanks for the loyal patronage and great publicity.

“I never miss my nightcap,” she told the paper:
    All I have is the whisky at night. Whisky is very good for you. I started having a nightly tot of it when I turned 50 so I’ve been having it every night for the last 60 years and I certainly have no intention of stopping now. My doctor said, ‘keep up with the whisky Grace, it’s good for your heart’.”[
    /QUOTE]

THREADS:
    Give it up to the elderly!!!!!
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Funny reviews

Celebrity endorsed liquors like this are usually notoriously bad, but I'm still intrigued. A friend of mine got some and said it was good but he only knew about one kind of Jameson, so he's obviously no connoisseur of Irish whiskey.

Conor McGregor's Irish whiskey smashes sales records…despite terrible reviews
    Jack Beresford
    BY: Jack Beresford
    October 15, 2018

CONOR MCGREGOR is celebrating more success away from the Octagon after his Proper No.12 Irish whiskey set new "sales" and "buy" records.

The Irishman might be endured a tough time of things in UFC but he's going from strength-to-strength in the business world, with Dana White tipping him to become the first MMA fighter to make a billion.

McGregor's Irish whiskey has proven a hit back in Ireland, where bottles were flying off the shelves with such frequency that Tesco had to introduce a two-bottle limit per visit to for customers.
    thenotoriousmma
    Verified

2,910,115 likes
    thenotoriousmmaThe sales record and the buy record.
    Thank you to you, the fans ❤️
    @properwhiskey @ufc
    Those purchasing the spirit could be left disappointed, however, if the current crop of reviews is anything to go by.

To say McGregor's Proper No.12 Irish whiskey scored poorly with whiskey connoisseurs would be an understatement.

When Brin-Jonathan Butler presented the whiskey to a panel of experts for Bloomberg, their comments were scathing, to say the least, with one taster describing it as "watered-down."

"Obviously artificially coloured," another added, singling out the unappealing "notes of turpentine interlaced with the musk from a crowded, poorly-maintained Turkish bathhouse sauna."

Over at Business Insider, a similar meeting of established whiskey drinkers produced equally poor reviews

"It smelled like ethanol and tasted only marginally better," one noted.

"A small initial sip was deceptively okay, but subsequent snifters were like vanilla flavoring trying to cover up rubbing alcohol."

Despite the lukewarm reviews, the McGregor machine is showing no signs of slowing down, despite his humbling defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov UFC 229.

Not only did the fight break the record for the most-watched pay-per-view in MMA history but McGregor has since released his own clothing line which sold out in less than 24 hours.

THREADS
    Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Claymore. You're a beauty!

Your Montgomery Scott Scotch Awaits
    StarTrek.com Staff
    November 28, 2018

Aye, laddie, Scotty would drink to this: Silver Screen Bottling Co. has just announced that Montgomery Scott Scotch will join James T. Kirk Bourbon, James T. Kirk Bourbon Reserve and Ten-Forward Vodka as part of the line of Star Trek branded spirits they've launched this year.

The blended scotch whisky -- and, yes, the Scots spell it without the "e" -- is available for pre-sale starting today, priced at $49.99, at www.MontgomeryScottScotch.com. Shipping will begin in March 2019.

Montgomery Scott Scotch is a limited batch produced in Glasgow by one of the most-awarded distilleries in Scotland. It's exceptionally smooth, with just a slight smoky note.

The entire Star Trek line of spirits is available for purchase at www.silverscreenbottling.com. Additional products will be added in the future.
    THREADS
    kung fu star trek people
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Hold the phone...whisky in a pouch?

THIS LONDON HOTEL HAS A WHISKY VENDING MACHINE AND EXACTLY ONE GUEST ROOM
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Tim McKirdy / @timmckirdy
    Updated on 2018-12-03

Photo Credit: Whisky-Me

Minibars and vending machines aren’t usually synonymous with quality drinking experiences. At London’s Napoleon Hotel, however, there’s a new and novel way to enjoy a late night dram of high-quality Scotch.

The hotel, which is home to three bars and just one, luxury suite, recently installed the city’s very first whisky vending machine, Travel and Leisure reports.

London-based subscription service Whisky-Me owns and stocks the machine with a selection of 1.7-ounce pouches of Scotch. Labels include Macallan, Aberfeldy, and Royal Lochnager, as well as a commemorative release celebrating the start-up’s first year in business.

The vending machine is located in front of the hotel’s entrance and can be accessed by the general public as well as hotel guests. To make sure buyers are of legal drinking age, special tokens for the machine must be purchased from the hotel’s Devil’s Darlings bar. Tokens retail for £7.95 (roughly USD $10), and are on sale between 10 a.m. and 2 a.m.

Other attractions to entice whisky-lovers include the hotel’s Black Rock Bar, which features an 18-foot-long table filled with aging whisky to sample. The bar also stocks an impressive selection of whiskey from Japan, Ireland, Finland, and France, making for a dram good drinking experience.

Published: December 3, 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$1.5 M for a bottle of 60-year-old Macallan

Here's a Macallan that doesn't come in a pouch.

‘ULTRA RARE’ MACALLAN WHISKY SELLS FOR $1.5 MILLION, SMASHES AUCTION RECORD
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Tim McKirdy / @timmckirdy
    Updated on 2018-12-04

Photo Credit: Christie’s Images Ltd. 2018

It’s been quite the year for whisky auctions, especially those featuring bottles of 60-year-old Macallan.

In May, a bottle of Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 sold in Hong Kong for just over $1 million, at the time setting a record for the world’s most expensive whisky. Last month, that record was broken by another bottle of the same whisky, which sold for $1.1 million.

Finally, on November 29, a bottle of 60-year-old Macallan sold at a Christie’s auction in London for £1,200,000 (roughly $1,528,800), smashing the world record for the third time this year.

The whisky, which Christie’s describes as an “ultra-rare elixir,” is presented in a one-of-a-kind bottle, painted by Irish artist Michael Dillon. The bottle’s illustration depicts the Easter Elchies House of The Macallan against the backdrop of the Scottish Highlands.

This year’s prior two record-breaking bottlings came from a collection of 24 numbered bottles, 12 of which artist Peter Blake decorated, with the other 12 designed by Italian artist Valerio Adami. All three contain the same Scotch, a 1926 Macallan single malt which spent 60 years maturing in ex-sherry casks.

“The sale represents a landmark moment in the whisky market,” Christie’s International Director of Wine Tim Triptree MW said in a press release.

Published: December 4, 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Today is International Whisk(e)y Day!

Cheers my friends!

INTERNATIONAL WHISK(E)Y DAY
    RAISE A GLASS... AND MORE!

27TH OF MARCH
    THE ANNUAL CELEBRATION OF WHISK(E)Y
    On this date let every whisk(e)y lover annually raise a dram - whereever in the world he or she may be - to honour the many unsung heroes of the past and present, who have been crafting the King o'Drinks for centuries and will hopefully continue to do so till the end of time.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am not against alcohol, but I just have a healthy way of life. Moreover, I drink only high-quality water, which I obtain from my home filter https://www.bestproductspro.com/refrigerator-water-filters/. This is one of the best investments I have done in my entire life!

What manner of devilry is this?

Photograph: Courtesy InterContinental Grand Stanford

Intercontinental's Whisky Chocolate Mooncake is back for this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival
    Take advantage of the early bird special of up to 35 percent discount for orders made on or before August 31
    By Time Out Hong Kong Posted: Tuesday August 4 2020, 8:26pm

This year, Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong has launched an array of premium mooncake collections from classic flavours to innovative whisky infused chocolate creation.

The hotel's coveted Whisky Chocolate Mooncake ($428/box of four) is back this year, and it's sure to satiate whisky buffs and foodies alike. The signature mooncake features four different types of single-origin chocolates from Ghana, Ecuador, Vietnam, and Grenada. Each of these carefully chosen chocolates contains varying levels of cocoa and distinct characters that, when blended with the specially aged Speyside whisky, produces a unique whisky tasting experience. The whisky used for the mooncakes is aged in sherry-seasoned mini barrels at Tiffany’s New York Bar for six weeks to develop a more in-depth profile to the dram.

Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong's premium mooncake collections

Aside from the chocolate mooncakes, the Mini Lava Custard mooncake ($318/box of six) created by Executive Chinese Chef Leung Fai Hung is also making its debut this year. The mooncake features a velvety and luscious custard filling using premium butter and salted egg yolks from Gao You in Yangzhou City.

Mini Lava Custard mooncake

For those who prefer traditional flavours, there is also the classic White Lotus Seed Purée Mooncake with Double Yolk ($388/box of four) made using silk white lotus seed purée with savoury salted egg yolks.

These festive delights come in an elegant traditional lantern design packaging that is perfect as a gift for loved ones or colleagues. Place your orders today via Intercontinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong online shop and take advantage of the early bird special of up to 35 percent discount for orders made on or before August 31. The mooncakes will be available for redemption from September 11 to October 1. Elaine Soh
    I just realized we have two threads on the Moon Festival:
    Happy-Autumn-Moon-!!! & Happy-mid-autumn-festival. Maybe I should merge?

Also, there's my fav thread: Let-s-talk-Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm not sure why Gwyneth news is so fascinating here...

...hold the phone. Quinoa whiskey?

Gwyneth Paltrow drank whiskey ‘every night’ during COVID-19 lockdown
    By Jesse O’NeillMay 9, 2021 | 12:28am

Gwyneth Paltrow went "totally off the rails" in quarantine.Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic

The actress, who is well known for her wellness and lifestyle brand Goop, concocted a lot of quinoa whiskey cocktails to help her get through the lockdown, according to The Mirror.

“I was drinking seven nights a week and making pasta and eating bread. I went totally off the rails,” Paltrow, 48, said, according to the article.

“I mean, who drinks multiple drinks seven nights a week? Like that’s not healthy. I love whiskey and I make this fantastic drink called the Buster Paltrow, which I named after my grandfather who loved whiskey sours,” the actress reportedly continued.

“And it’s this great quinoa whiskey from this distillery in Tennessee with maple syrup and lemon juice. It’s just heaven. I would have two of those every night of quarantine.”

Paltrow said she did not get “like, black-out” drunk, but was hankering for cigarettes during her nightly imbibing.

“I miss it,” she said of her former smoking habit, according to the British tabloid.

threads
    Gwyneth-amp-Goop
    covid
    Let-s-talk-Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The 10th Anniversary of World Whisky Day is tomorrow!

https://www.worldwhiskyday.com/

15 May 2021
    A day of global whisky celebration
    World Whisky Day brings people across the globe together to celebrate the water of life. This year is an extra special one for us: we’ll be raising a dram to mark the tenth anniversary of World Whisky Day.

I hope you have your refreshments ready.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The government stole our whiskey

|Aug 4, 2021,04:35pm EDT|67,899 views
    Missing $5,800 Bottle Of Japanese Whiskey Given To Trump Administration Has State Dept. On The Rocks

Joe Walsh
    Forbes Staff
    Business
    I cover breaking news for Forbes.

TOPLINE The U.S. State Department is trying to track down an expensive bottle of whiskey the government of Japan gave to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo more than two years ago, the department revealed in a filing Wednesday.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his wife Susan hold glasses of beer during a visit to a brewery ... [+] POOL/AFP VIA GETTY IMAGES

KEY FACTS
    The State Department’s 2019 list of high-value gifts from foreign governments — released Wednesday — says the $5,800 whiskey bottle’s disposition is “unknown,” adding the department is “looking into the matter and has an ongoing inquiry.”

Pompeo is listed as the gift’s recipient, but it’s not clear whether he personally received it: He was in Saudi Arabia the day the gift was recorded as having been given to the United States, according to the New York Times, which first reported the news, but he traveled to Japan and met with the country’s foreign minister less than a week later.

Pompeo’s lawyer William Burck told Forbes the former secretary of state doesn’t recall receiving the bottle and isn’t sure of its whereabouts.

Forbes has reached out to the Japanese Embassy in Washington, D.C., for comment.

CRUCIAL QUOTE
    “Mr. Pompeo has no recollection of receiving the bottle of whiskey and does not have any knowledge of what happened to it. He is also unaware of any inquiry into its whereabouts,” Burck told Forbes in a statement. “He has no idea what the disposition was of this bottle of whiskey.”

KEY BACKGROUND
    Federal employees are not allowed to keep gifts from foreign governments as souvenirs or for their own personal use, unless their value is under $415. When foreign gifts exceed that threshold, staffers can accept them if their refusal “would likely cause offense or embarrassment or otherwise adversely affect the foreign relations of the United States,” but they’re considered the property of the federal government unless the State Department allows them to be sold, according to federal law.

SURPRISING FACT
    The gift’s $5,800 value isn’t unusual for rare and high-end Japanese whiskey, which can retail for thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars. In 2019, the federal government received at least two other bottles of whiskey: An $8,374 bottle the Japanese government presented to former Trump aide Matthew Pottinger, and a $2,525 bottle and ballpoint pen whose sender wasn’t disclosed, a common practice for gifts received by intelligence agencies.

TANGENT
    Pompeo has faced ethics-related questions in the past. As secretary of state, he and his wife asked a State Department staffer and longtime family friend to conduct more than 100 personal tasks, including walking their dog, making dinner reservations and sending out family Christmas cards, the department’s inspector general said in April. Pompeo denied that he or his wife had committed any ethics violations and called the report “slander,” “political” and “filled with factual errors.”
    I can see walking their dog but stealing whiskey is wrong.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Introducing Four Walls Whiskey, The Better Brown

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Invasive crab whiskey

A distillery is fighting invasive crabs by turning them into whiskey

July 11, 20225:00 AM ET
    KAI MCNAMEE

A green crab caught off the coast of New Hampshire.
    Jennifer Bakos
    They're small. They're green. They're crustaceans.

And now, they're in whiskey.

Green crabs are the invasive pests that have plagued North America's marine ecosystems for more than 200 years. A New Hampshire distillery is taking on the problem by using them to make green crab-flavored whiskey. Green crabs are so abundant that it's going to take a lot more than whiskey to curb the population, but some hope bringing awareness to the issue will lead to creative solutions.

Tamworth Distilling's Crab Trapper whiskey gets some of its flavor from green crabs caught off the coast of New Hampshire. The crabs hitched a ride to the United States on ships coming from Europe around the 1800s. Here, they eat tons of shellfish and destroy estuaries and fish habitats.

Will Robinson, the product developer at Tamworth Distilling who had the idea for the project, said the crabs were cleaned and prepared just like any other crab you might order at a restaurant.

A fisherman pours green crabs into a bucket.
    Jennifer Bakos
    "People are going to hear crab whiskey, and I'd venture to say three-quarters of them are going to go, 'No, absolutely not,'" he said. "But if you can get them to taste it, they totally change their tune for the most part."

First, they make a crab stock. Then, they distill it using a vacuum still — a glass machine that allows for precise temperature control.

"It looks like a crazy piece of laboratory equipment," Robinson said. "It preserves the flavor and aroma molecules that would get destroyed if we were to boil it."

The stock is mixed with spices – like mustard seed, coriander, and cinnamon – then combined with a bourbon base.

Robinson calls it a "thinking, sipping" drink. "It's meant for you to explore your own perception through your olfactory senses."

Tamworth Distilling's Crab Trapper Whiskey gets its flavor from invasive green crabs.
    Jennifer Bakos
    Each bottle of whiskey uses about a pound of green crabs, but one distillery alone isn't going to make much of a dent in the green crab population. That's because their numbers are out of control, says Dr. Gabriela Bradt, a marine biologist and fisheries specialist at the University of New Hampshire.

"They are probably one of the most successful invasive species that we have in North America, at least in the marine world," she said. "They can eat about 40 mussels a day, just one crab. And so you multiply that by a bazillion, and you have no more clams."

Climate change is making things worse. Warmer ocean temperatures offer more hospitable environments for the invasive crab to thrive.

A young volunteer (left) works with Dr. Gabriela Bradt (right) to collect data for The Great Green Crab Hunt, a citizen science monitoring project.
    Tim Briggs/New Hampshire Sea Grant
    Still, Bradt said creative projects like Crab Trapper can help address the problem by raising awareness. Her own research focuses on tracking where and when green crabs molt. The idea is that if you can catch them right after they molt, you can cook them like other soft shell crabs and get more people to eat them.

Right now, there's no commercial incentive for crabbers to harvest green crabs on a scale large enough to make an impact, she said. But she hopes new products that use the crab – like fishing bait, whiskey, fish sauce, and more – could change that.

Whiskey is just "the hook," Bradt said, to get people informed. "And the more people hear about it, then we get more and more people who might have a really great, innovative idea that we haven't touched upon."
    200mL bottles for $65
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips