Clang Sword fighting game

Another Kickstarter campaign...
    Neal Stephenson Sets Out to Make Realistic Sword-Fighting Game, Clang
    By Wired UK
    Email Author
    June 11, 2012 |
    3:14 pm |
    By Mark Brown, Wired UK

Historical fiction author Neal Stephenson is using Kickstarter to help fund a motion-controlled sword-fighting game called Clang. It will be, according to the pitch, “Guitar Hero, with swords.”
    Wired U.K.

The inspiration for Clang comes from Stephenson’s self-confessed swordsmanship geekery, combined with his dissatisfaction with how sword-fighting is portrayed in current games.

So, Clang will feature a deep combat system — including stances, pommel strikes, grappling, feints and parries — all controlled by the Sixense Razer Hydra motion controller. It’s a bit like the Wii Remote, but more accurate and with way less latency.

The idea is to build a robust engine for his firm, Subutai Corporation, and other developers to play with. As such, Clang starts as a one-on-one arena fighter, and then a rich world and some knockabout adventure tales (penned in conjunction with publishing house 47 North) will be added later on.

Also, the game will begin with the “Queen of Weapons”: the two-handed longsword used in Europe during late medieval and early renaissance times. But if a developer or an ambitious modder wants to add in Japanese kenjutsu or Viking sword-and-board, then they can go ahead.

Stephenson explains his plans for Clang in two videos (above and below), one of which (bizarrely) features Valve boss Gabe Newell making a crowbar and letting the author know that game development “takes time.”

The Subutai Corporation is asking for $500,000, and has so far raised $160,000 in pledges. Backers will receive different rewards depending on their donation, including T-shirts, fighting manuals, signed posters, the ability to name a character and invitations to company parties.

“We’re ready,” says Stephenson. “We’ve got geeks in suits of armor, we’ve got geeks in front of computer workstations, we’ve got a lot of people out there who like playing games with sword fighting in them who might be ready to step it up to something more interesting.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Might be enough to make me buy a kinect if this happens...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Count me in too...how fun would that be? Can't wait to gouge someone's eyes out.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

If Gabe and Valve are involved, it will be great! Awesome! Find a thesaurus because you'll need all the positive words! ALL OF THEM! :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.