Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kung fu vs bjj

kung fu vs bjj

I think the match was pretty even. The kung fu guy had good striking and no takedown defense. The bjj guy did not have that much of a stand up game but was able to take the kung fu guy down.

If the competitors were allowed to stay on the ground this thread might have ended up differently.

A combination of training methods would have benefitted both men in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3MPHySHED8

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    not really a true representation of BJJ. boxing gloves on and all. Also BJJ take downs are not the best in the world, he looked like a bull coming out of the shoot. Game plan of BJJ=get to the ground no matter what. Maybe he's working on his stand up, but he didn't try to go with the guy in the stand up terms.

don't know, anyways, hopefully both took something away from the session.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    not really a true representation of BJJ. boxing gloves on and all. Also BJJ take downs are not the best in the world, he looked like a bull coming out of the shoot. Game plan of BJJ=get to the ground no matter what. Maybe he's working on his stand up, but he didn't try to go with the guy in the stand up terms.

don't know, anyways, hopefully both took something away from the session.

At first I thought one guy was just striking and the other guy was trying take downs but then the bjj guy started striking as well.

Brock Lesnar looked similar in his last two fights like a bull coming forward.

honestly didn't watch all the way through. I figured the BJJ guy would get tired doing that after a bit.

yeah Lesnar comes out like a bull and we can see that a lot of times it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Blog Entries
    Both fighters did well. I think CLF does good at this level. But, i feel if CLF was to incorporate more ground game we'd be even more solid than what we have today.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

i feel if CLF was to incorporate more ground game we'd be even more solid than what we have today.
    a lot of traditional styles would be more solid if they did that.

Blog Entries
    a lot of traditional styles would be more solid if they did that.
    True. I know all systems have the potential, but since CLF is the only system i've extensively trained in i'd like to see it evolve with the times as well. It worked awesomely in the past with our elders but the past was a totally different time in the respect of where their mindsets were. My elders would never show you gung fu unless they had to hurt you with it. other wise you'd never know they knew anything. so sports fighting was definitely out of the question.

But CLF as well as other systems need to evolve. The only threat in my opinion to a good stand up game is a better ground game.

Question: As a system currently evolves into the next level can it still be called a TRADITIONAL system?

Additionally, i feel that IF you are going to become a fighter, then you don't pick up forms. And if you're not going to fight but want to learn a traditional art for personal reasons then forms has its place. it can be the BALANCED aspect of TCMA.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 11-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Question: As a system currently evolves into the next level can it still be called a TRADITIONAL system?
    Yep, as long as it hold true to ITS tradition.
    If a system was developed in a tradition of being "combat effective" then ANYTHING that is done to keep it that way is keeping it traditional.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i wonder what posessed the BJJ guy to agree to a fight with no real clinch allowed and no ground stuff allowed either

As for the bull rush if the clinch is not allowedand he cant do a low double (ie knee to the ground which it looks like wasnt allowed in the rules either that or he cant shoot properly) then the bull rush is probable his only option

CLF guy looked to have good stand up, but i wonder how much he would have teed off like that ig the clinch and the ground had been allowed

Blog Entries
    Yep, as long as it hold true to ITS tradition.
    If a system was developed in a tradition of being "combat effective" then ANYTHING that is done to keep it that way is keeping it traditional.
    Ok, so just to be clear. You're saying that if CLF now consisted of CLF mixed with let's say BJJ or even Japanese JJ it would still be considered a TRADITIONAL system?
    If you are saying this, then the fate of TCMA isn't really endangered as being obsolete.

Unless the standup guy was specifically trying to work his takedown defense and the grappler was specifically attempting to work takedowns against a striker, that match was a complete waste of time.

Blog Entries
    i wonder what posessed the BJJ guy to agree to a fight with no real clinch allowed and no ground stuff allowed either
    Perhaps because both systems have take downs but staying on the ground would be UNFAIR and an UNEVEN match. shoot, i've love to see BJJ vs TCMA minus the rolling on the ground. it would be fair and just and the best fight would win. but its like a two legged person fighting a one legged one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Ok, so just to be clear. You're saying that if CLF now consisted of CLF mixed with let's say BJJ or even Japanese JJ it would still be considered a TRADITIONAL system?
    If you are saying this, then the fate of TCMA isn't really endangered as being obsolete.
    –adjective
    of or pertaining to tradition.
    handed down by tradition.
    in accordance with tradition.

Lets not make the word mean what it doesn't.
    What is the tradition of CLF?
    Was it not a mix of systems?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Perhaps because both systems have take downs but staying on the ground would be UNFAIR and an UNEVEN match. shoot, i've love to see BJJ vs TCMA minus the rolling on the ground. it would be fair and just and the best fight would win. but its like a two legged person fighting a one legged one. LOL
    Having a pure BJJ guy be able to only do standup and quick takedowns is about as fair as starting the fight on the ground and then stopping and restarting back on the ground each time they come to a standing position.

The only thing that kept the CLF guy from getting his @ss handed to him was the fact that the fight was restarted anytime it went to grappling range.

Blog Entries
    Lets not make the word mean what it doesn't.
    What is the tradition of CLF?
    Was it not a mix of systems?
    i totally feel you. and you're right. it's a shame that there are some SIFU's out there that fail to see this.