Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with sport fighting?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    If Biu-Tze is referring to Biu-sao, then why isn't it called Biu-Sao?
    I find that curious.
    I also find curious that WCK is descended from Fukien Siu-Lum, and Fukien Bak Hok P'ai, which indeed use the Biu-Tze thrust with the fingers, in addition to using the entire arm, as do the Hakka styles. I guess they all have it wrong...
    Maybe your WCK is descended from another source?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    ROFLOL! Sure you have. And I have killed at least 39 ninja.

I've done quite a bit of training/sparring with fighters (MMA and MT). I had a detached retina from an accidental finger poke and didn't miss a beat in the sparring (I guess I must have an abnormally think "paper thin membrane covering my eye"!). The only time I was "disabled" by a strike was with a liver shot.

You people live in a fantasy world.

Ok, so you were disabled by a liver shot. What is it, are there disabling shots or not. Make up your mind.

I realise you think you are Testicles the Magnificent because you carried on a couple of times when you were hurt, but all you are doing is stating the obvious and demonstrating you don't know its obvious.

Sh1t, by your own admission, you never even knocked anybody down...
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 11-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    There is something on this planet and that's called "faith".
    Relying on faith in a fight is like hoping to win the lottery to make rent.

Bottom line is some strikes are successful while a great many more aren't. That goes for anything ranging from the standard punches and kicks to "the deadly."

The difference is which of those can you train day in and day out with a high (or at least higher) intensity on partners that are going just as hard back at you?

Yes you can get lucky and land the snake spits venom strike #13 and temporarily blind someone. Yes people (even in ufc) have been taken out with a ridgehand to the side of the throat. But its very uncommon. And no, no one is going to collapse someones trachea or hulksmash their layrnx to dust. The exaggerations are going both ways on this board. The issue comes back to, what can you realistically train and what is a lucky shot in the dark (faith)?

Some of the best strikers in the world only land about 70% of their punches. What do you think those less trained of us can pull off? That's with the standard high % techniques. What then is your likelyhood of that deadly pinpoint vital strike? A lot lot less....

Can they work? Yes. Do they? Not so much. And I've yet to see anyone come up with a way to realistically train those techniques. You can't just claim they are going to work. The best anyone seems to be able to hope for is training your standard stuff and hoping that will give you the physical ability to pull off the other stuff when you think it might work. Problem is how much do you really get to think in a split second reaction of a fight?

At least if you're going to try to poke the eyes do it on a tiger claw or something so you can get a blow in if/when your fingers miss.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 11-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Relying on faith in a fight is like hoping to win the lottery to make rent.
    It's very important that we prey before our fight. When God receives our prey, he will block punches and kicks for us.

If you have faith in TCMA, you are "one of us". If you don't, you are not.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-09-2010 at 01:40 AM.

The best anyone seems to be able to hope for is training your standard stuff and hoping that will give you the physical ability to pull off the other stuff when you think it might work.
    At least if you're going to try to poke the eyes do it on a tiger claw or something so you can get a blow in if/when your fingers miss.
    That is our standard stuff! LOL
    Often, we will strike with a fist, and then without witdrawing it, open our hand to shoot the eye strike.
    But I see your point.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I realise you think you are Testicles the Magnificent
    ROFLMFAO!!!
    funniest thing I've heard all week...

addendum: I'm using it!

Ok, so you were disabled by a liver shot.
    Last week I took a particularly hard body shot. After training that day I went out and had a beet salad.

The next day the toilet bowl was dyed a dark crimson.

I was scared.

Then I remembered the beets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Last week I took a particularly hard body shot. After training that day I went out and had a beet salad.

The next day the toilet bowl was dyed a dark crimson.

I was scared.

Then I remembered the beets.
    my sister did the same thing, only she went to the doctor, had tests, spent dollars.."Oh yeah..I had beets..."
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I took a knee the kidneys hard enough to have me ****ing blood once in combatives. Though I powered through it. I just kept laughing throughout the session to push through the pain. I think a few thought I might have been going mental. The crappy part though was that the next day I left out for a week of field maneuvers and was sleeping on rocks and random roots and such things. I think waking up every morning having to stretch it out after the night hurt worse than the initial blow.

That's also where I learned that sometimes in a competition fight if you talk to yourself in the clinch or groundfighting, it can throw your opponent off for a second or two.

That's also where I learned that sometimes in a competition fight if you talk to yourself in the clinch or groundfighting, it can throw your opponent off for a second or two.
    talking to yourself on the subway also gets you a seat with lots of room on either side!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    talking to yourself on the subway also gets you a seat with lots of room on either side!
    I never talk to myself, its myself that does all the talking...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

1. To my mind, sport fighting is a lot like Chi Sau, or Push hands. It limits your expression of your complete skills in favour of a very engaging sub set that becomes a game. To focus on any one element of your training for too long takes away from other skills, and becomes the skill itself. This is it for lots of guys, and fair enough, no problems with that. I prefer that kind of person to the split personality that claims TCMA but fights without TCMA.

I don't agree with this comparison. Unlike chi sau and push hands sports fighting has an end goal. When you spar someone is going to get more hurt than the other. When you wrestle someone is going to be thrown down. With drills like chi sau and push hands there is no end goal. Endless rolling with light striking or pushing is not an end goal. If two people were going to fight, one only sparred and the other only did chi sau, I would put my money on the person who only sparred.

This is like when people compare chi sau/push hands to bjj rolling. This is a perfect example of a false comparison. Apples and Oranges. When two people are rolling in bjj they are both looking to end the interaction with a submission. Chi sau and push hands are just compliant drills that focus on a small aspect of skill development.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    If Biu-Tze is referring to Biu-sao, then why isn't it called Biu-Sao?
    I find that curious.
    Biu jee is a form/set. Biu jee sao is an action/movement.

I also find curious that WCK is descended from Fukien Siu-Lum, and Fukien Bak Hok P'ai, which indeed use the Biu-Tze thrust with the fingers, in addition to using the entire arm, as do the Hakka styles. I guess they all have it wrong...
    Maybe your WCK is descended from another source?
    I find it curious that people make up silly histories of WCK. WCK descends from the Red Boats. That's all we know.

If you think that finger strikes work, go out and spar at 100% and try hitting your opponents with your fingers. After you get your fingers broken, then rethink you theory.

Ok, so you were disabled by a liver shot. What is it, are there disabling shots or not. Make up your mind.

I realise you think you are Testicles the Magnificent because you carried on a couple of times when you were hurt, but all you are doing is stating the obvious and demonstrating you don't know its obvious.

Sh1t, by your own admission, you never even knocked anybody down...
    My point is that there seems to be a "disabling strikes" mentality that is part of TMAs and is mostly nonsense. Point striking, dim mak, striking the groin, eyes, throat, spine, is all theoretical crap.

What works is what you see in sport fighting. Are people "disabled" by strikes in sport fighting? Yup. You see KOs, liver shots, etc. And people are able to realistically practice them.

TtM:"Biu jee is a form/set. Biu jee sao is an action/movement."

yeah, well duh...Biu jee is a term, it means thrusting fingers. It is an action/movement..and it is the name of the form. Why do you think they named it Biu JEE and not Biu SAO? "Oh that's just the name of the form." You're kidding, right?
    Do you ever actually read your own posts?

TtM: "If you think that finger strikes work, go out and spar at 100% and try hitting your opponents with your fingers. After you get your fingers broken, then rethink you theory."

the first thing a beginner learns is to throw the biu jee with fingers slightly bent, so if they hit an unyielding surface, they will collapse and not break.
    You must have missed that class...
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.