Thread: Hate the Gym - now what?

Hate the Gym - now what?

Hi,

I'm a petite lady into Wing Tsun/JKD. I love what I do but my parents are always after me to join a gym. When we lived in a house, it was easy to exercise on the treadmill as we weren't dealing with the same problems of condo life. People hear us on the treadmill so now it's going to be sold (still new too...)

Anyway, I looked into Judo at Pedro's Gym which is supposed to be great but the cost was a tad bit expensive (let's leave it at that) and no way I could afford it. (I'm fortunate to have the martial art teachers I've got which allow for either drop in classes or charge little.) Next week I'll be looking into Tae Kwon Do because there's a small school down the street from my condo. They have hours that fit my schedule so I thought, why not? I don't know if I can afford them either but it's worth a shot to check it out, and no, I've never studied. I'm 38, not flexiable, and have a navel ring.... They won't give out price information over the phone so that's a tip off, but they do allow drop in classes, which is what I wanted to do in the first place since I'm not big in Karate. I just want something that will force me to move and give me a workout but be close to home as my schedule is tight. Any thoughts?

P.S. Should mention that I've been considering Northern Praying Mantis which isn't far from my home - not as close as the TKD but far. I like the Chinese styles but my main goal is excerise and not sure I could afford the Praying Mantis. I do recall they don't allow drop in classes.
    Last edited by Cat Nap; 07-04-2006 at 07:21 AM.
    To Ah Mui with love.

Try the tkd - it will definitely be a workout. I would be leary of the mantis school and any school that doesn't allow people to drop by and watch. If you have jkd training, you could train within your own home, no? that would be free. Anyway, let us know what you decide.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I don't know from experience but I've heard that the clinching and rolling you get from grappling is an awesome workout. Maybe try out the Judo school. Heck, why not try them all.

Let us know.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/