Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interview with YKS practitioner Dr. Cheung Yung

Interview with YKS practitioner Dr. Cheung Yung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlxI3-LFYs

in the video around 2:50 dr. cheung says that fung siu ching was probably the one who condensed his wing chun into the 3 forms (SLT, CK, BJ) that we know today.

he explains further that the WC that YM learned was from shaolin roots jee sim, etc. much different than the WC that YKS had learned.

around 4:40 he explains the many longer forms of the the southern shaolin based WC.

aside from the characteristics that dr. cheung mentioned in the video of YM WC's shaolin roots, another characteristic i see is the upright erect body. much like what you see in karate, choi lei fut, hung gar, etc. which are all descended from shaolin

this is opposed to the hunched posture of YKS WC, which you will find in many soft styles.

i posted this because on another thread there was much discussion about this topic
    Last edited by Pacman; 10-23-2010 at 05:42 PM.

He is wrong about so many things.

We should take waht most people say with a pinch of salt....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    We should take waht most people say with a pinch of salt....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    True dat!

Chasing opinions is worse than chasing hands!!

joy chaudhuri

just my quick two cents. the back is not hunched or erect, it should just be natural. some people across all lineages my look slightly different as everyone's body is also different. but there shouldn't be any overemphasis on having erect or hunched posture. everything should just be natural and relaxed with the spine in its natural shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    ... this is opposed to the hunched posture of YKS WC, which you will find in many soft styles.
    Ah! What I like to refer to as 'Prawn Kung Fu'!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Personally, I call that "Hunchback WCK", or "Pulmonary emphesema WCK", or "S-structure WCK".

The reason I propose to use the Crane and Snake signature in both strategy and power generation as classified in the TCMA such as Baji article is to make WCK accurately describe.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Personally, I call that "Hunchback WCK", or "Pulmonary emphesema WCK", or "S-structure WCK".
    call it what u like but when u hit the back standing like this, already almost falling backwards:

you'll see you have no KO power. you'll know what works and what doesn't.

call it what u like but when u hit the back standing like this, already almost falling backwards:

BUUUUUUT....

hold on, didnt Ip Man learn everything he knew from YKS
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

Sure if you just stood there like that... And while most would not assume that exact stance, (Yip also seems to be leaning back a bit much--not sure why--maybe because of the weights) this view misses the whole point of the horse IMO..

The power there is stored in an idealized posture in the form of potential energy via compression, stretching and loading the muscles like springs.. The joints (body springs) are all aligned to the center..

You release the power forward like suddenly releasing a compressed spring which jolts the body vectored toward the center--abruptly and powerfully like a vibration.. Same engine is seen in ChumKiuMa, a way of releasing the power is seen in the BikMa step, which need not be a step per se.. Same engine seen in YGKYM as two bilaterally symmetrical engines (leg/horse) each aligned to the center.

The more loading of the springs (more weight on the leg/qua 'spring') the more energy is stored in the muscles for release.
    Last edited by YungChun; 10-26-2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

call it what u like but when u hit the back standing like this, already almost falling backwards: you'll see you have no KO power. you'll know what works and what doesn't.
    Interesting criticism.

Ip Man is actually flexing the 'bow' of YJKYM in the pic, and that particular structure is the exact opposite of what I termed 'Prawn Kung Fu!' which is more common in other arts.

In reality, ALL variations have their use, I was just sharing a joke!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Could anyone post a YKS YJKYM pic?
    Thanks!

What is the reason for the seeming continual attacks on Yip Man by Yuen Kai San grand
    students.?

All you have to do is look at the hips to know if Yip Man had the knowledge and skill. The back position in meaningless when there is no contact imminent and when posing.

On the other hand the hunched back and crunched in chest also tells you all you need to know about a persons wing chun. If still in doubt a dummy form should l make things clear.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    BUUUUUUT....

hold on, didnt Ip Man learn everything he knew from YKS
    no, he only learned a little bit. no one ever said he was YKS' formal student, and i think thats one thing to think about. considering he made YKS' sticky hands (not just the luk sao platform) and 3 forms a part of his curriculum, yet he never learned these things in depth.

perhaps this is why so many YM practitioners on this board find sticky hands useless? just something to think about