Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top 10 Reasons to do MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    what ever floats you boat but you might not like what you find.

good luck.
    i've been active here since '95. I've pretty much seen it all, or whatever there is to be seen on a forurm, I've seen it here. lol

and you're right, sometimes I don't like what I find.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    its because you live in the arctic frozen north, where the sun only shines once a year and you live in a state of perpetual darkness. and watch hockey.
    I live an hour and a half away from Niagra Falls New York.
    I'm across the Lake from Rochester NY.
    I'm a 1 hr plane ride from NYC
    I live on the same parallel as Marseille France.
    I don't watch Hockey.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I live an hour and a half away from Niagra Falls New York.
    I'm across the Lake from Rochester NY.
    I'm a 1 hr plane ride from NYC
    I live on the same parallel as Marseille France.
    I don't watch Hockey.

Wow, the only good thing about Canada and you don't watch it! Come on, man.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Wow, the only good thing about Canada and you don't watch it! Come on, man.
    I liked it in the 70's when the talent pool was deep.
    nowadays, there are so many guys out there, it's not the same.
    I blame Gretzky and Gary Bettman for turning Hockey into mud.

there's plenty of good things about Canada, you, being a mercan, probably just don't realize how much goodness in the world Canadians are responsible for.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Titusville, Florida (Floridas East Coast)
    David J.-

I respect you 1) because you use your real name, and 2) because you started you initial reply with 'Eric, no offense man......". I appreciate that. You seem like a genuine guy and a good one at that.

Everyone (including David)- I started this post because as it has been pointed out before, that in converstaions like the MMA vs TMA issue (and most political "debates" too) all that really happens is that everyone walks aways with a reinforced sence of their original position along with high blood pressure. I am just saying that maybe through humor and understanding we will find common ground and hopefully move forward.

So maybe now we can all chuckle, relax, let our guard down, stop judging each other, and get back to doing martial arts (or whatever it is we do).

Further, as everyone probably knows by now, I have a TMA background (25+ years) with a dabbling of BJJ, MMA, TKD, Philipino knife, and who knows what else. I'm not listing this to brag or to say I am a bad a$$ cause I'm not. But in an effort to expand my horizons, I am willing to take the plunge and join a local MMA school at least for a few months. Why? I have always wanted to but have never had the time. Now seems like a good time. As I have said before, I'm a TMA guy but do like MMA and even tried to bring in BJJ into my school, but it never got off the ground.

My friend John Gorsuch teaches here: www.nucfl.com but it is too far to go on a regular basis.

So I'll probably go here www.forcefitnessgym.com which is an American Top Team gym in Cocoa Beach. Still a hike for me, but closer than John's place.

Now having said that I'll have to take it easy for a few months as I rehab my neck. For those that don't know I had an epic fail while surfing the awesome swells from Hurricane Earl last month and sufferred a concussion, class III whiplash injury and herniated 2 disks in my neck (one has an annular tear). To add insult to injury, I lost my surfboard too!!! I have had lots of pain and numbness in my fingers of my left hand, but using the things I have learned from TCM/TCMA I have had a great recovery so far and expect to be able to exercise again very shortly.

Don't expect any fights anytime soon (I'm 43 years old!!!), but I'll post my experiences once I get up and running.

One last thing- many guys are going to my website and signing up for my free email tips, but you are apparently mispelling your email address. Please make sure it's correct before you submit it.

Eric Hunstad
    www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think the component of san shou meets that, but still, overall practice of traditional chinese martial arts is not like that. there is more to it.
    Agree 100% there. The Sanshou is only the "sport" training. There is much more to it. In CMA, there is a set of training that you only apply to "unfriendly challengers". Those moves may look like regular moves but there are some small tricks involved. Here are 2 clips in Chinese but you may still be able to see the difference between "sport" and "combat". At the end of the 2nd clip, the teacher put a metal bottom in his shoes. It was beyond "sport" and that's for sure.

http://johnswang.com/sc19.wmv
    http://johnswang.com/sc23.wmv
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-19-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Agree 100% there. The Sanshou is only the "sport" training. There is much more to it. In CMA, there is a set of training that you only apply to "unfriendly challengers". Those moves may look like regular moves but there are some small tricks involved. Here are 2 clips in Chinese but you may still be able to see the difference between "sport" and "combat". At the end of the 2nd clip, the teacher put a metal bottom in his shoes. It was beyond "sport" and that's for sure.

http://johnswang.com/sc19.wmv
    http://johnswang.com/sc23.wmv
    what movie is that anyway? You've posted clips from it before and it looks like it's a pretty good movie. I am wondering if I can get my hands on it from a local chinese movie distributor.

Is it a very popular film?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    It's called 跤王(Jiao Wang) - the Wrestling King. You can watch it online (but it's in Chinese). I just took out the CMA part and made it into 24 short clips.

In those 2 clips, the teacher tried to teach his students how to intentional hurt their opponent in "sport". Today we call those moves as "illegal" moves. IMO, those moves have great "combat" value. I'm glad that TCMA will still be able to pass those skill down to the future generation.

http://v.sogou.com/series/jiaowang.html
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-19-2010 at 01:15 PM.