Thread: Helping Kids Who Get Bullied at School

Hybrid View

Interesting topic

My mother pushed the idea of non-violence (super Christian) and as a young boy (7-11) I paid the price for this. I was picked on all the time by my best mate, and my kind hearted nature always always stopped me from fighting. I barely defended myself, and people always took advantage of this. I wasn't weak or anything like that (i'd always fight with my older brothers) but I just never fought back or defended myself. I loose count how many times my nose has been broken...

Anyway, when I have a child I will teach him/her to hit hard, fast, and defeat the bully as quickly as possible, using whatever the situation requires. I could have benefited so much from someone who instilled this approach in me, and it would have saved me years of people taking advantage of my good nature.

But then I always think the bullies end up the losers. All the bullies I knew came from bad/angry/divorced/abusive families, and they generally grew up to be useless failures with little going for them. On the other hand, myself and others I know who got bullied at one point or another in their childhood have grown up to be stronger better people. I have a great girlfriend, I've travelled the world, I love my job....now I think, "yea sure you bullied me, but I'm not the one collecting trollies for 4 pounds and hour from the local store".

HAR HARRRRRR

If you "train" your child to fight, and they fail because life isn't a movie about righteousness then I wonder what you guys would think the result would be?

Think about it. Just because you train someone, doesn't mean anything. That's just training.

If your mini black belt gets his ass handed to him after you encourage them to fight, then what?

Is it not wiser to teach your child to escape or to trust the authorities to help him/her?

A child is a weak little thing, approaching them as if they are cold, calculating problem solvers based on your emotional reaction to them getting bullied will not always lead to a good place.

just sayin...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    A child is a weak little thing, approaching them as if they are cold, calculating problem solvers based on your emotional reaction to them getting bullied will not always lead to a good place.

just sayin...

this...................................... yesssssss......

and like was mentioned above: what if they lose to an untrained goon??? what will that do to them psychologically after youve instilled all that confidence and tell them if they train and act right they wont get hurt???

Is it not wiser to teach your child to escape or to trust the authorities to help him/her?
    lol god, no

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    lol god, no
    really?

did you know that some of the very best street proof your kids programs involve exacly those things?

do you not expect your child to trust you as an authority?

Would you not want to provide them with the best solution that they do not have to feel bad about being physically assaulted and nor do they have to endure the psychological responsibility of harming someone else.

Can you trust a child to measure their use of force at a young age?

If you teach your child to escape, to call out and to seek protection with people he can trust you are probably teaching them the most sane thing you can.

Bullies can be dealt with, they always are. It is up to those who put the children in the situation where they encounter bullies to deal with that problem.

So, the teachers, the institution that you send your child too and all that is your responsibility. Knowing who their friends are and where they hang out and being for them is even more important.

Give it some thought before you teach a kid to fold his hand to a fist.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

really?

did you know that some of the very best street proof your kids programs involve exacly those things?

do you not expect your child to trust you as an authority?

Would you not want to provide them with the best solution that they do not have to feel bad about being physically assaulted and nor do they have to endure the psychological responsibility of harming someone else.

Can you trust a child to measure their use of force at a young age?

If you teach your child to escape, to call out and to seek protection with people he can trust you are probably teaching them the most sane thing you can.

Bullies can be dealt with, they always are. It is up to those who put the children in the situation where they encounter bullies to deal with that problem.

So, the teachers, the institution that you send your child too and all that is your responsibility. Knowing who their friends are and where they hang out and being for them is even more important.

Though that sounds so nice, that approach is failing miserably in the US. My wife is a public school teacher whose school has adopted the above approach. Unfortunately, there is no less bullying or violence.
    Kids who run to others for protection become even larger targets.

Knowing who their friends are and where they hang out and being for them is even more important.

That statement is right on target!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    really?
    quite true. Most kids don't have the wrist developed enough to throw a decent punch. Palm strikes are far better suited.
    You also have the added benefit of teaching them those "Bully Buster" techniques, where they put up both their palms and say,
    "Stop! I don't want any trouble!"
    then they can slam their palms into the kids nose, and follow up with an eye gouge, rip down the face, catch their lower lip and rip down as hard as they can, grab their head with both hands and slam it into his knee, snap the head back and power drive it into the cement for the win.
    -unless they're under six. Then they should run away and tell.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

This entire thread stinks of politically correct brain washed ideologies of walk away, no tolerance, BS the school system as well as our left wing sh**it infested government is trying to sell. When I was young, if you got in a fight at school, you got detention, got suspended, or if you were smart, you went somewhere you would not get caught.

Teach your children to walk tall, proud, and take no sh**it from anyone, albeit what some liberal ******wad like Jameison will tell you.

We need more John Wayne and John Kreese bad a**ss role models in this world. The irony is people can't seem to figure out why their children are such limp noodle candy a**sses. Strike first, strike hard, no mercy Sir!!!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    This entire thread stinks of politically correct brain washed ideologies of walk away, no tolerance, BS the school system as well as our left wing sh**it infested government is trying to sell. When I was young, if you got in a fight at school, you got detention, got suspended, or if you were smart, you went somewhere you would not get caught.

Teach your children to walk tall, proud, and take no sh**it from anyone, albeit what some liberal ******wad like Jameison will tell you.

We need more John Wayne and John Kreese bad a**ss role models in this world. The irony is people can't seem to figure out why their children are such limp noodle candy a**sses. Strike first, strike hard, no mercy Sir!!!
    Geez, for once I actually agree with you!

Though I have no bad comments about Jamieson. Perhaps if more people truly felt like he does, this world would be a better place. Unfortunately, that is not reality.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post

you've been listening to far too much sarah palin. lol

speaking of brainwashed! lol

such vitriol!
    Kung Fu is good for you.