Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Traditional Wushu Championships 2010

Number 4

Wish I was there...
    World Traditional Wushu Championships to kick off in central China
    English.news.cn 2010-10-10 08:54:22

WUHAN, Central China, Oct. 10 (Xinhua) -- The 4th World Traditional Wushu Championships (WTWC) will kick off in central China's Wudang Mountain, the birthplace of the Chinese traditional Wudang Wushu on Oct. 16.

During the six-day championships, more than 2,200 kungfu athletes from over 80 countries and regions will compete in more than 300 events of the Chinese martial arts, such as taijiquan, sword, cudgel and spear, according to the organizing committee.

As the quintessence of Chinese culture, Wushu has a history of 2,500 years. Sponsored by the International Wushu Federation, the WTWC has become one of the largest traditional Wushu events in the world and an important platform for Wushu's popularization.

The first three editions of WTWC were held in China's Zhengzhou and Shiyan cities from 2004 to 2008.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i used to wonder why kung fu ppls like to have kung fu tournaments and form competitions. then one day i saw a gay parade and it all made sense now.
    wite ppls like to embaras themselves in pubic
    Dude Chinese kung fu people have their own heads shoved up their asses far more than anyone else....
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

congrats aktionmancer !

From TCF

The Tiger Claw Foundation is the official U.S. Wushu team sponsor for the 8th Pan American Wushu Championships this weekend, providing the team uniforms for all competitors, coaches and observers. Here is the list of competitors: Anthony Chen, Mike Jiang, Kevan Hom, Tony Leng, Kyle Loehr, Andre Magnum, Maria Martinez,Jason Rockhill, Tom Stutzman, Gang Ye, Xinglie Ye.

I hear we did well at the Pan Ams.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Very mediocre coverage

You could write a better article off this thread...
    World martial arts championships being held in China
    * October 17th, 2010 2:11 pm ET

China is currently holding a three day competition in an attempt to bring the martial arts community together and to expose the world to the Chinese culture.

The competition is being held in the city of Shiyan near the Wudang mountains. More than 2000 competitors from 80 countries will join the battle that will consist of Wudang and Shaolin boxing, weapon usage, and Tai Chi Chuan. Wang Xiaolin, the secretary of the International Wushu Federation, said that Wushu is a sport that belongs to the world even though it originated from China. The word Wushu in Chinese is a general term for martial arts. This event is also an attempt to bring Wushu to the summer Olympic games. By increasing the visibility of the sport, China hopes to further gain acceptance and respect from the international community.

Central Floridians need not travel to China if they want to learn Wushu. The O-Mei (or Emei depending on the language used to spell the style) Wushu school is located right here in Winter Springs, Florida. Having to witness their forms first-hand, I can say that this style is truly awe-inspiring to watch. Check them out here and start your journey to kung fu fighting!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Better coverage from Brunei

Brunei Send Strong Wushu Team To World Meet In China

National wushu exponent Harris Adli Peranchis

Bandar Seri Begawan - Six multi-medallists are leading Brunei's charge at the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championships which starts tomorrow in Wudang, China.

Abdul Rahim Johari, Ang Guat Lian and Harris Adli Peranchis will be joining Faustina Woo Wai Sii, Lee Ying Shi and Karyn HoJia Yin in what is the Sultanate's second participation in the four-day event.

The same number of exponents represented Brunei during the last edition of the biennial tournament in 2008, where their medal haul of two gold, three silver and four bronze medals came as a surprise to many - including themselves.

Slowly emerging as one of the best national teams in Brunei, Wushu Federation of Brunei Darussalam (WFBD) deputy secretary-general believes that the side that left yesterday will be trying to better their haul of two years ago.

"I think they will do well considering their past achievements," said Calvin Ang yesterday.

"We have sent younger exponents this year, mainly for them to get more exposure.
    "Harris and another exponent have been in Guangzhou for the past few weeks to train and they will go direct to Wudang from there," he added.

According to a report from Chinese national news agency Xinhua, more than 2,200 exponents from over 80 countries and regions will compete in more than 300 events of the Chinese martial arts, such as taijiquan, sword, cudgel and spear. The first three editions of the event were held in China's Zhengzhou and Shiyan cities from 2004 to 2008.

Harris won gold in the Taijiquan (Taiji Fist) event in 2008, with the other coming from Isa Bismi in the Nangun (Southern Staff) event.

The Sultanate's three silver medals came from Harris, Ismi Bismi and junior exponent Abdul Rahim, who won the Nanquan (Southern Fist), Nangun (Southern Staff) and Nangun (Southern Staff) events respectively.

Only 14 years old at the time, Abdul Rahim also won bronze in the Nandao (Southern single-edged sword) event, with Isa also winning another in the Nanquan (Southern Fist) event.

The remaining two bronze medals were won by Ang Lu Guan and Lim Han Liang.
    Clinching the Sultanate's only silver medal at last December's 25th SEA Games in Vientiane, Laos, Faustina and Lee are proving to be a potent partnership.

They have appeared on the podium in every competition they have contested in so far, winning a bronze medal at the 5th Asian Junior Wushu Championships in Macau lastJune.

They also bagged a bronze medal at the 3rd Asian Indoor Games in Vietnam in early December. -- Courtesy of Brunei Times
    Better to look at this from the other side of the world, I suppose.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The W word

hey lhk! what if the forum took up a collection for you to go hang out with bawang?

just kidding, cousin, just kidding.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    hey lhk! what if the forum took up a collection for you to go hang out with bawang?

just kidding, cousin, just kidding.
    Bawang my brodda he lubba da bwack peoples
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

i thought it was pepos? lol

bawang is our chosen troll, we can't have someone killing him and we don't want him to make any sense.

we like him broken and all...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

There are only a couple of people I'd like to break on this forum and bawang is not one of them He is the funniest guy that writes here!
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    There are only a couple of people I'd like to break on this forum
    violent thoughts dear buddha.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Don't worry sweetmeat you ain't on my death list
    Now go and hurt a small animal or something
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Don't worry sweetmeat you ain't on my death list
    Now go and hurt a small animal or something
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

361 out of how many? And were they giving golds as 1st only or to anyone surpassing a certain score?
    China sweeps 361 golds at World Traditional Wushu Championships
    English.news.cn 2010-10-20 11:55:31

WUHAN, Central China, Oct. 20 (Xinhua) -- The 4th World Traditional Wushu Championships (WTWC) concluded on Tuesday night, rounding off a three-day, 300-event spectacle dominated by host China, which swept 361 gold medals.

During the championships, more than 2,000 athletes from 83 countries and regions competed in Chinese martial arts, such as taijiquan, broadsword, sword, cudgel and spear.

As the quintessence of Chinese culture, Wushu has a history of 2,500 years. Sponsored by the International Wushu Federation, the WTWC has become one of the world's largest traditional Wushu events and an important platform for Wushu's popularization.

The Championships started last week in central China's Wudang Mountain, birthplace of Chinese traditional Wudang Wushu. The first three editions were held in China's Zhengzhou and Shiyan cities from 2004 to 2008.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A late entry

This just popped up on my newsfeed. It's dated, but worthy of adding here.

China hosts world martial arts championships to promote culture
    English.news.cn 2010-10-16 21:59:08
    By sportswriter Wu Zhi

SHIYAN, Central China, Oct. 16 (Xinhua) -- China will host the biggest-ever world martial arts competition in the hinterland city of Shiyan over the next three days in a move to promote the Asian economic powerhouse's traditional culture internationally.

More than 2,200 contestants from 83 countries and regions will compete in the 4th World Traditional Wushu Championships in Shiyan, near the Wudang Mountain, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the cradle of a main sect of Chinese martial arts as important as the Shaolin style.

In a flurry of spectacular fireworks of various colors and shapes, the opening ceremony of the championships began late Saturday in a newly-renovated stadium, with an enthusiastic crowd of more than 5,000 in it.

Hollywood star and martial artist Jackie Chan said that he is proud to have seen people from all over the world come to learn martial arts in China and that he hopes the sport will become a formal medal event at the Olympic Games. "Chinese culture will be better understood this way," he added.

During the three-day championships, contestants from 196 delegations will participate in 300 events, from Shaolin boxing, Wudang boxing, Tai chi chuan to those using weapons like swords and spears.

"Contestants outnumber those in previous championships, making this year' s event the biggest ever in the field of Chinese martial arts." Wang Xiaolin, general secretary of the International Wushu Federation, said in a press conference before the opening ceremony.

"Wushu originated in China but belongs to the world. It is not only a sport but also a part of Chinese culture. The championships will have a far-reaching effect on the promotion of Chinese martial arts around world as China is set to enhance its cultural and soft power," Wang said.

The International Wushu Federation has made great progress in spreading Wushu to the rest of the world since it was established in 1990 and a total of 139 countries and regions have joined the federation, which is one of only a few international sport organizations headquartered in the Chinese capital city of Beijing.

Wang said that his federation has held a series of world championships and world cups, given lectures to martial arts coaches and judges worldwide, and helped China send coaches to some foreign countries.

A number of Confucius Institutes, non-profit public institutions that aim to promote the Chinese language and culture worldwide, also teach Chinese martial arts and make the sport more popular in the U.S. and Europe, he said.

"We have been trying to push Wushu to become an event at the future Summer Olympic Games. There is, of course, a long way to go and currently we are mulling simplifying the sport and make it accepted by Pan-American Games and All-Africa Games first."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips