Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13 Assassins

I would like to point out that the reviewer above, deborah young, i do not quite agree with. Simply the fact that she entirely missed the bushido tale in this film tells me she maybe should not have even reviewed it

*a few spoilers*

this is not really a review, i would just like to clarify some of what i see as inaccuracies in the reviewers write up. because i believe this film is very top notch...i suppose it would depend on how interested and knowledgable you are of feudal japan and the samurai society. i dont really want to be sexist but i will, i think many women completely miss or do not understand bushido.

first off, there are no 'bad' samurai, only the lord, the shogunates half brother. the bushido tale in this film actually comes from the point of hanbie, the main antagonist samurai, he dies to uphold his samurai status and the code of bushido. he knows who he is protecting deserves to die, yet that is not the way of the samurai. he protects his lord with his life, just like he should. he holds to the code of bushido until the end. he is not a bad guy though. simply a samurai.

the film exhibits the end of bushido, the downfall of the samurai caste, the fall of the tokugawa shogunate and the rise of the meiji era. these events do not actually happen in the film, but the events in the films story are developed to indirectly be a partial cause of this, which is summarized at the end.

additionally. its not so much elaborate death traps, but troop division. there are a couple of explosions, yet the main point is to show that the 200 troops are divided and that is how the 13 samurai are able to hold their ground and in the end, accomplish their goal. its a constant running battle. the 13 samurai initially think they will be only fighting 70 men. had that been the case, it would have been a 'total massacre'.
    Last edited by Lucas; 04-07-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Lucas,

I think the Jet Li movie you're talking about is Fong Sai Yuk #2. I thought that scene was sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brule View Post
    Lucas,

I think the Jet Li movie you're talking about is Fong Sai Yuk #2. I thought that scene was sweet.
    yes i believe you are right! thanks
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I was not going to, but will check it out.

The thing about the Samauri is pretty cool and I agree about the recent history aspect that most people don't realize - like the boxer rebellion.

Some people thought it was criminal but plenty of people saw that one as China's holy men trying to save her and the suppression of them as the end of China's glory age - I don't know everything about it but just figure if monks come out for you there must be a pretty good reason...
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Coming to SFIFF this May Day!

13 ASSASSINS
    Screenings: Sun, May 1 8:30 / Castro
    Jûsan-nin no shikaku
    World Cinema
    Japan, 2010, 126 min

CREDITS
    dir Takashi Miike

prod Minami Ichikawa, Toichiro Shiraishi, Michihiko Umezawa, Takahiro Ohno, Hirotsugu Yoshida, Masaaki Ujo

scr Daisuke Tengan

cam Nobuyasu Kita

editor Kenji Yama****a

mus Koji Endo

cast Koji Yakusho, Takayuki Yamada, Yusuke Iseya, Goro Inagaki, Masachika Ichimura,

source Magnolia Pictures, 2222 South Barrington Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90064. EMAIL: aayers@magpictures.com.

web http://www.magpictures.com

13 Assassins

Cult filmmaker Takashi Miike (Ichi the Killer, SFIFF 2002; Izo, SFIFF 2005) delivers possibly his most surprising film of all, a nearly straightforward homage to the glory days of Japanese swordplay movies. A remake of a little known (at least in the West) 1963 film by Eiichi Kudo, 13 Assassins begins in 1844, when the noble samurai Sinzaemon Shimada (Koji Yakusho, Charisma, SFIFF 2000; Babel 2006) is chosen to assassinate the brutal and extremely well-protected Lord Naritsugu (a giddily sadistic Goro Inagaki). A job this daunting needs more than a few good men; Shimada slowly recruits a dirty dozen of them, some more willing than others to kill and, most likely, die. All roads, of course, lead to a final showdown: our 13 assassins versus literally hundreds of villains in a remarkable, roughly 45-minute battle scene filled with life, death and dynamite—a sequence that finds Miike holding his own against any Kurosawa, Inagaki or Leone set piece. While inserting his dry humor and a few of his trademark over-the-top moments, Miike otherwise refuses any snide genre send-ups or satire here, instead focusing on the simple pleasures of a well-crafted genre film. “13 Assassins is a samurai terror film showing the flowers of life and death,” he notes. “Simple, radical, beautiful.”

Special support for this program generously provided by Penelope Wong and Tim Kochis.
    I'm so trying to make this. It all depends on if my wife works that night.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

"a sequence that finds Miike holding his own against any Kurosawa, Inagaki or Leone set piece"

truly.

HDNet Movies is playing it tomorrow night at 8 pm ET.

My wife works that night

I am so bummed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Isn't that usually grounds for celebration?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

lol

I have a kid and I can't justify a sitter for this. I was excited about seeing 13 Assassins in a real live movie theater on a big screen (with some old fencing buddies even) but not this time. No worries. The film will come to me. They always do...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I have a kid and I can't justify a sitter for this. I was excited about seeing 13 Assassins in a real live movie theater on a big screen (with some old fencing buddies even) but not this time. No worries. The film will come to me. They always do...
    That's what Grandmas are for!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Grandma is too far away

And it's a school night. To add insult to injury, my wife leaves for a week working at a zen center the following Monday, so I'll be a single parent for a week.

No worries. I'll see this eventually. A review DVD is sure to cross my desk in due time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Hara-kiri: Death of a Samurai

Indie Focus: Takashi Miike picks up a genre's sword for '13 Assassins'
    The filmmaker behind 'Audition' and 'Ichi the Killer' charges into the samurai movie tradition.
    By Mark Olsen, Special to the Los Angeles Times
    April 24, 2011

In the waning days of Japan's feudal era, an army marches into a village and is ambushed by a small band of samurai determined to topple the merciless lord leading the much larger force. As "13 Assassins" moves toward its dazzling, dizzyingly over-the-top climactic battle sequence, it gains a momentum of startling inevitability, as if these events simply must come to pass. The lengthy frenzy of blood, mud, arrows, swordplay and honor righteously defended that ensues is furious, intense and unrelenting.

Takashi Miike's first take on Japan's venerable samurai genre, "13 Assassins" is a remake of Eiichi Kudo's 1963 movie of the same name and adheres with an unexpected faithfulness to the story and structure of the original.

Miike, 50, an outlandishly prolific filmmaker credited with more than 80 films since the early 1990s, has become a fixture of the international festival circuit and is known to American audiences for the flamboyant visual style and subversive humor of such genre-hopping films as 1999's "Audition," 2001's "Ichi the Killer" and 2007's "Sukiyaki Western Django."

In "13 Assassins," which opens Friday in Los Angeles and is already available on video-on-demand, he surprises by playing the action with a straight face. But Miike still finds a way to include idiosyncratic imagery, such as a haunting look upon a woman who has been mercilessly disfigured by the film's villain or the odd humor of flaming cattle rampaging through the village's narrow streets.

The young feudal lord (played by Japanese pop star and actor Goro Inagaki) brandishes his power to rape and kill with impunity. With the ways of the samurai on the wane and many onetime warriors reduced to serving as government functionaries, an aging samurai (popular actor Koji Yakusho) assembles a small band of fighters to avenge one of the lord's victims. In a way, they are following the code of the samurai to bring an end to the era of the samurai, hoping for one last heroic battle in which to die with honor.

Much as many U.S. directors might harbor a not-so-secret desire to make a western, with that genre a means to explore the American psyche and national expansion, Miike noted that the samurai movie occupies a similar space for Japanese filmmakers.

"I would say westerns and samurai films are similar," said Miike, speaking by phone from Tokyo. "What is similar is a sense of older values, and I think how we often have a desire to hold onto these values. And like westerns the audience is mainly male; men who want to see the kind of men they want to be, strong and living up to expectations."

Though there are many parallels between samurai films and westerns — portraying a violent, honor-bound world of male-oriented aggression — there are key distinctions.

"There are a lot of similarities, in terms of the genre and the place the genre has, but the western is so about the lone individual taking a stand, and samurai movies only exist in a social context," said Grady Hendrix, a co-founder and co-director of the New York Asian Film Festival, which has shown numerous Miike films over the years. "The western is about the West; it's big, and it's unlimited. Samurai, that's a job title. It's like a salaryman movie; it's middle management with a sword instead of a suit.

"Certainly in Japanese cinema the samurai film looms large, kind of like the western does in the sense it is a really hidebound, stilted, rule-heavy genre," Hendrix added. "I think a lot of directors view it as a challenge to see what they can do within those limitations."

Miike was only 3 when the original "13 Assassins" was released. He had never seen it until approached by producers about two years ago with the idea of a remake. Though the samurai film, like the western, comes in and out of fashion, Miike noted there has been a resurgence of interest lately.

Many recent samurai films, Miike contends, have been "made for what a modern audience wants. So this means part of the story is taking the connections between modern-day men and women and putting them into a historical context, a modern-day love story shown in the past.

"Of course, our movie is not that kind of story. We try to look at what life was really like 200 years ago. '13 Assassins' is sort of more true to what a samurai movie really is."

After avoiding the genre for so long, Miike has already taken on a second samurai picture: "Hara-kiri: Death of a Samurai," his remake of Masaki Kobayashi's 1962 classic, "Harakiri," will premiere next month at the Cannes Film Festival in a prestigious slot in the main competition and is his first work in 3-D.

Despite the recent boomlet of samurai films, Miike said one of the biggest challenges was that many of the technicians and behind-the-scenes craftspeople who used to make such movies are no longer working; even getting enough horses for bigger scenes can be difficult. In a way, he added, "13 Assassins" turned out to be a history lesson both on and off screen.

The film, he said, was a vehicle to "teach the next generation of filmmakers how to make this movie and not lose this art."
    Wow - Harakiri was a classic samurai film. I never saw the original 13 Assassins but you can't call yourself a fan of chanbara and have missed Harakiri. Got to start a new thread on that right now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens today

Limited release - boxofficemojo.com says only 3 theaters.
    '13 Assassins' review: Samurai undertake a desperate mission
    Published: Friday, April 29, 2011, 8:33 AM
    Stephen Whitty

The great thing, typically, about a Takashi Miike film is that there’s no such thing as a typical Takashi Miike film.

Creepy, psychosexual horror? Yes, he did that in “Audition.” But then there’s the over-the-top splatter crime of “Ichi the Killer.” The goofy superhero story “Zebraman.” And even a children’s fantasy, “The Great Yokai War.”

His films — even the lightest ones — are often violent, and all of them are deeply connected to Japanese culture, both high and low. But apart from that — and his own determination to, first, serve the story — they’re all over the place.

And while that can make them hard for critics to characterize, it makes them wonderful surprises for audiences.

Miike’s new “13 Assassins” is another unconventional one. That’s because it embraces convention, remaking an Eiichi Kudo film from 1963, and looking back even further to the postwar Akira Kurosawa movies that helped re-establish Japanese cinema.

Set in 1844, it begins as a degenerate sadist emerges as the Shogun’s obvious heir — and his own nation’s worst enemy. So 12 samurai — aided, eventually, by one grimy little bandit — decide to kill him. Of course, they’ll have to take out his 200-strong personal army first.

It’s a desperate mission, almost destined to end in death — just the way the samurai like it.

The central idea of “13 Assassins” — that samurai would risk their lives, not for a feudal lord, but for such an amorphous concept as “the nation” — is a radical one, at least in the context of old Japan. So Miike has to establish just how despicable this villain is.
    Movie Review

13 Assassins (R) Magnet (126 min.) Directed by Takashi Miike. With Koji Yakusho. In Japanese, with English subtitles. Now playing in New York.
    Rating note: The film contains extreme violence and nudity..
    Stephen Whitty's Review: THREE STARS

Luckily, no one is better at dramatizing that kind of queasy sadism. There’s a brutal beheading early on, and an episode of sexual mutilation no American director would dare touch (although it honestly wouldn’t have been out of place in “Titus Andronicus”).

Yet for the rest of the film — even as dozens of nameless warriors are being slain — a kind of restraint prevails.

We hear the nauseating sounds of hara-kiri, but don’t see the details. Swords whip back and forth across the screen and blood flows like water, but this isn’t a film of entrails. (As in most samurai movies, the individual duels are over within moments.)

But then Miike’s interest here is in those classic tales (and the modern Westerns they sometimes inspired). Old friends become honored enemies. Young wastrels seek to redeem themselves through duels. Villains are dispatched with a terse “See you in hell.”

The film has a slow and confusing start (worsened by the fact that most of the early characters are interchangeable middle-aged men with identical costumes and haircuts). Characterization is rudimentary, and the subtitles could be better. (“Listen up”? I don’t think so.)

But Koji Yakusho gives a noble performance as the samurai leader, and the film’s climax — as the two forces face off in a deserted, booby-trapped village — has a kind of crazy grandeur to it. Two determined armies, fighting hand to hand, sometimes with sticks and stones, while everything around them burns to the ground.

It looks like a nightmare but it feels like real life. Kind of like most Miike movies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sanguineous

Saw it last night at the Nuart.

Swords Drip Red With Revenge
    By MANOHLA DARGIS
    Published: April 28, 2011

A stirring, unexpectedly moving story of love and blood, the samurai movie “13 Assassins” opens with a dignified man seated alone in a large courtyard. Perfectly centered in the shot, he says nothing, his face a ferocious mask. But words are immaterial given his open shirt and the blade in his hand. The Japanese director Takashi Miike has no qualms about letting the red run down the screen. Here, though, instead of showing the blade sinking in, he moves in closer, letting the scene play out in the man’s crumbling face, the gray sky framing him as the moist, tearing sounds of the knife doing its terrible work fill the air.

View Clip...
    Set at the close of the Edo period, not long before the Meiji restoration, “13 Assassins” is at once a tale of revenge and liberation, though it takes a little while to grasp the stakes. Mr. Miike, a jaw-droppingly prolific director who makes several movies a year and is perhaps best known in America for shockers like “Audition” and “Ichi the Killer,” plunges right into the action in “13 Assassins.” Initially that action is mostly bureaucratic and a question of strategy, one worked out by men plotting in darkened rooms, like the council of elders who convene after the ritual suicide and set the narrative on its course.

The dead man, it emerges, has committed seppuku to protest the baroquely barbaric excesses of Lord Naritsugu (a fantastic Goro Inagaki), the shogun’s half brother, who’s poised to assume even greater power. Pretty, petty and very likely insane, with a lazy walk and small twitchy smile, Naritsugu is the embodiment of outré imperial decadence. He doesn’t just rape the wife of a minion, he also murders her husband in front of her, hacking at the poor man’s (off-screen) body and lopping off the head with so much force it rolls across the floor. Later, during another convulsion of violence, while murdering a family, Naritsugu will kick a ball across a court and still later will boot another severed head in similar fashion. For him it’s all the same.

These cruelties and others serve as the evidence against Naritsugu, justifying the ensuing violence that will wash blood away with blood. This sanguineous deluge comes, but all in good time because first Mr. Miike has to round up his avengers, the 13 warriors of the film’s title. It’s a sign of difficult samurai times that the leader of the group, Shinzaemon Shimada (the great Koji Yakusho), enters perched on a fishing ladder, a pole in his hand. It’s unclear if he’s fishing for food or leisure, but the point is that he’s fishing, not fighting, having resigned himself to a quiet twilight. Like the not especially dirty dozen he assembles, Shinzaemon finds purpose in battle: he becomes a samurai again, with a flashing and wet sword.

Mr. Miike doesn’t offer a history lesson in “13 Assassins,” a remake of a 1963 film of the same title directed by Eiichi Kudo. But for those not schooled in Japan’s past (or period movies), it helps to know that during the relatively peaceful Edo period (roughly 1615 to 1868) the role of the samurai changed as the way of the warrior became the way of the heavily controlled and bureaucratized warrior. Rather than pile on the details or on-screen exegesis, the screenwriter Daisuke Tengan (working from an original story by Shoichirou Ikemiya) instead sketches in the historical context with bits of meaningful dialogue, as when Shinzaemon ruefully explains that he had all but given up on having a noble death. Needless to say, he gets his chance.

After assembling an initial team of 11, Shinzaemon heads out after Naritsugu. The journey is difficult, meandering and pleasurably eccentric, as a short fight with the opposition leads to an extended lope through a deep forest. There they pick up an unexpected addition, Koyata (Yusuke Iseya), the final assassin whom they find imprisoned in a basket dangling from a tree. A broadly comic figure, covered in dirt and rags, the rubber-limbed Koyata provides some of the movie’s easier laughs, but on the battlefield proves a fighter-philosopher. In the end, when bodies and blood cover every inch of ground, he shows that the way of the warrior isn’t a romantic and diverting fiction but an emblem of a harrowing, brutal reality.

13 ASSASSINS

Opens on Friday in New York, Los Angeles and Austin, Texas.

Directed by Takashi Miike; written by Daisuke Tengan, based on a story by Shoichirou Ikemiya; director of photography, Nobuyasu Kita; edited by Kenji Yama****a; music by Koji Endo; art director, Yuji Hayashida; costumes by Kazuhiro Sawataishi; produced by Michihiko Umezawa, Minami Ichikawa, Toichiro Shiraishi, Takahiro Ohno, Hirotsugu Yoshida and Shigeji Maeda; released by Magnet Releasing. In Manhattan at the IFC Center, 323 Avenue of the Americas, at Third Street, Greenwich Village. In Japanese, with English subtitles. Running time: 2 hours 6 minutes. This film is not rated.

WITH: Koji Yakusho (Shinzaemon Shimada), Takayuki Yamada (Shinrokuro), Yusuke Iseya (Koyata), Goro Inagaki (Lord Naritsugu Matsudaira), Masachika Ichimura (Hanbei Kitou), Mikijiro Hira (Sir Doi), Hiroki Matsukata (Kuranaga) and Ikki Sawamura (Mitsuhashi).