Thread: Tattoo...

Hybrid View

one of the most famous caligraphy and martial artists on the est coast is sik yee wong living in Toronto Canada, he has done work for me and my school adn his writingings are incredible he would be the guy you need to contact. hope this helps

http://www.artonnet.com/sikyeewong/room105.html
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Tattoo

One thing that most people don't think of when getting a tattoo, is that many years later the ink will spread, outlines will get fuzzy and sunlight will make them fade.

I would like to add, that depends on who does it, how deep they go, and what ink they use, however you are partially corect.
    If you dont have a steady percise hand and when looking through a magnifying glass the lines are a tad wavey, or they go too deep into the epidermis and or they use a bleeding cheeper ink all that will happen.

The sun fades everything but you must keep it out of sunlight for the first 6 weeks
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by kfman5F View Post
    One thing that most people don't think of when getting a tattoo, is that many years later the ink will spread, outlines will get fuzzy and sunlight will make them fade.
    if you got your tattoo in 1958 and it was done with pen ink, then yes. lol

these days the pigments are superb and many of the artists are well trained and have good knowledge.

It's an art form to be sure.
    Some people are wrecks, but many have exquisite pieces.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

these days the pigments are superb and many of the artists are well trained and have good knowledge.

Then again, on some of us, we'll die before the ink spreads....easy peasy...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Hello,

I have a tat of a Dragon and the kanja for my Sifus system on my right arm.

The characters translate as Limitless Wing Chun or Wing Chun without limits. Of course, English translation is not always word for word and it also can mean hope for the futre. However, the characters have been recognized by several people as being related to Wing Chun Kuen.

Anyhow, my Sifu was okay with me getting the tat several years ago and did the characters for me himself. I am happy with the result.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Unfortunately there are still Tattoo artists that want to save a buck and use cheap ink. In '99 I got some chinese writing on my arm and it was from a shop just starting up. Well needless to say it looked great when I got it, then after a couple years later it bled and blurred, and now it looks like some funny black blobs. (ironically the other tattoo I have on the same arm is now 20yrs old and still looks like great with no fading or bleeding.....good ink by a different artist)

My friend who is now a Tattoo artist says he has many horor stories of covering up tattoos done with bad ink from so called "professionals" and many of these were in the last few years.

yep my advice is to actually research your artist first. if you think you may want someone to ink you, look into them first. find someone who specializes in chinese characters and other asian ink art.

if they cannot freehand write the characters on paper (not joking, doesnt matter if they can match the style you bring in, but they should have first hand knowlede of how to structure characters), they better not try to tatoo it...lol. i dont care if they stensel or not.

ask to see a portoflio of your artists published ink.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    yep my advice is to actually research your artist first. if you think you may want someone to ink you, look into them first. find someone who specializes in chinese characters and other asian ink art.

if they cannot freehand write the characters on paper (not joking, doesnt matter if they can match the style you bring in, but they should have first hand knowlede of how to structure characters), they better not try to tatoo it...lol. i dont care if they stensel or not.

ask to see a portoflio of your artists published ink.
    Thats a good point. Even if they can produce exquisite western art... they might give the distinguished eye a laugh if they attempt Chinese calligraphy. I need to find a tattoo artist that is also a Chinese calligraphy master...
    "Siezing oppurtunities causes them to multiply" Sun Tze

tempted to merge

You've seen our Kung Fu (and other Martial Arts) Tattoos thread? I just merged three other tattoo threads into that one (it was the earliest). I'll merge this one too eventually. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe later. Maybe when someone else asks a similar question in a few years....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart