Thread: Yuen Kay San Sil Lim Tau

Hybrid View

Smile Yuen Kay San Sil Lim Tau

Here is a basic video of Sil Lim Tau check it out...tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/user/stan4900#p/u/4/ybN8e_bzlJY
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

Compare to how Sum Nung taught it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhRMzywe6Y

(that's Sum Dek, Sum Nung's son and the inheritor of the lineage).

I have to say both have problems imo...

The first one had no rooting or body connection/linking.

The second one... with that Wu Sau so low, is completely unrealistic as there is no way it's gonna provide any real guard against a headshot. The low position in itself creates a big time delay to protect the upper gate. I won't even bring up structural integrity.

To each his own of course.

You really can't tell much about a fellows WC by watching his SLT. It is all different than mine. So I don't think it is good to judge by looks. However, I think the dark fellow was pretty good. Real good in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    I have to say both have problems imo...

The first one had no rooting or body connection/linking.

The second one... with that Wu Sau so low, is completely unrealistic as there is no way it's gonna provide any real guard against a headshot. The low position in itself creates a big time delay to protect the upper gate. I won't even bring up structural integrity.

To each his own of course.
    All forms have problems -- forms themselves are a problem.

But, if you are going to practice someone's curriculum/forms, like Sum Nung's for instance, the "test" is how well you replicate their curriculum/form. A good example is Chris Chan who does/teaches his SNT with dynamic tension. Regardless of what you believe about doing the form that way, if you call what you do Chris Chan WCK and then do soft serve WCK, it is not a good representation of Chan's curriculum.

And, fwiw, wu sao is not a "guard" against a head shot. Nor is it something to "protect the upper gate".

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    All forms have problems -- forms themselves are a problem.

But, if you are going to practice someone's curriculum/forms, like Sum Nung's for instance, the "test" is how well you replicate their curriculum/form. A good example is Chris Chan who does/teaches his SNT with dynamic tension. Regardless of what you believe about doing the form that way, if you call what you do Chris Chan WCK and then do soft serve WCK, it is not a good representation of Chan's curriculum.

And, fwiw, wu sao is not a "guard" against a head shot. Nor is it something to "protect the upper gate".
    As a tool in itself it is the protecting hand or guard that comprises the wc second line of defense. As in two hand Jong sau/2-line defense and earth triangle structure.

For gate theory to function properly... The guard hand has to reside in the proper time and space. Other wise timing, structure and positioning will be compromised and faced with over coming bad habits such as collapsed structure and timing delays... Meaning further distance to travel to cover space.

Two-line Jong sau is where all other wc upper gate defenses are "born". Without this body mechanic awareness, one always trying to make up for weak structure, bad positioning, and off timing.
    Last edited by duende; 08-12-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duende View Post
    As a tool in itself it is the protecting hand or guard that comprises the wc second line of defense. As in two hand Jong sau/2-line defense and earth triangle structure.

For gate theory to function properly... The guard hand has to reside in the proper time and space. Other wise timing, structure and positioning will be compromised and faced with over coming bad habits such as collapsed structure and timing delays... Meaning further distance to travel to cover space.

Two-line Jong sau is where all other wc upper gate defenses are "born". Without this body mechanic awareness, one always trying to make up for weak structure, bad positioning, and off timing.
    You could fertilize a garden with this stuff!

But you are very good at regurgitating what you have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

I just vomited in my mouth a little.

That is terrible.
    The opportunity to secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.
    -sun tzu