Thread: Shaolin Temple in My Heart (Shaolin Wo Xin Zhong De) by Abbot Shi Yongxin

Hybrid View

I am told this is the same book.

The English version has been re-edited and re-titled My Shaolin Journey.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would really like to read this book.

He has received so much criticism, and yet from how many people who've heard the feelings in his heart and mind?

I think it will be one of the single-most valuble items in our modern era that'll allow us to see how and why The Abbot has chosen to embrace the modern world and all it's impasses/roads (internet, cellular phones, money-making, etc.) while simultaneously attempting to further Shaolin Culture.

The story of his succession to the position of Abbot is not only very Interesting and Special, but very Curious, too.

I also read the story about his disciple in L.A. and believe his heart is in the right place. But I haven't read the book, so i'd like to compliment that idea I have (of his actions) with his own words/feelings- see how well they meet up or betray each other.

I believe other people should also have an open mind too. Not all things are simply black and white. Perhaps the acceptance of gifts and running the monastery like a business are best for Shaolin? perhaps it is because of these things that certain events can be orchestrated and further books/videos published?

I have the Chinese edition now

I was gifted a copy at the 1st Shaolin Summit. It's very intriguing. The Abbot reveals a lot about his struggles to promote Shaolin under PRC rule and his work to restore traditional kung fu and Chan to the order. He even states that it should be 'Shaolin gong fu' not 'Shaolin wushu'. There's some great old photos of the Abbot when he was young - stuff I've never seen before, including him doing kung fu. I have seen him in kung fu poses before, but only a few.

The abbot told us that the English translation is not ready yet. The first half was translated well, but the second half had some difficulties, so they are reworking it.

I was delighted to see my current Shaolin master, Yan Fei, in one of the bigger group shots. As I've mentioned many times before, Yan Fei has disrobed and teaches quietly at O-Mei. I can hardly wait to see him tonight for practice and tell him of the book.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Page 48

The photo on page 48 is very interesting, not just because you can see my master, Yan Fei (formerly Shi Yanfei), but you can also see Shi Yanran (Shaolin Temple Culture Center - Fremont, Herndon & S.F. ), Shi Yanxu (Shaolin Temple Culture Center - Los Angeles) and Shi Yanxing (US Kung Fu Temple - note: I also trained under Yanxing for a very short period - he helped me restore my dahong).

Yan Fei tells me that Shi Yantuo (Shaolin Shaolin Martial Arts - who I also trained with and is featured in our Tamo Cane DVD) can be seen on page 46, but the photo is very small and I didn't recognize him at all.

I'm correcting this thread title as the initial Global Times title is incorrect.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This one Gene?

Shi Yan Yue (Tong Zi Gong, Jian) and Shi Yan Qing (Da Hong Quan, Mei Hua Dao) are top left and right respectively. Parentheses list forms performed at Luminarius banquet.

Also Wang Bo (front) and Yan Neng (not the famous one obviously).
    Last edited by wenshu; 06-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.

That's the one, wenshu! Thanks!

Here's a direct link to our Luminarias banquet video.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Temple in my Heart

The English translation of Shi Yongxin's "我心中的少林", "Shaolin Temple in my Heart" seems to be complete, finally accepted by the abbott and printed as a book.
    Does anyone know, when it will be possible to buy it in the book-market ? Does anybody already have it?
    I'm specially interested in the chapter about Shi Xingzhen, since i translated a part of it to German and published it in 2010 on "shaolin-reflection"-blog. To be honest, i don't think it was a good translation. But if anyone could sent me that chapter in English, i'd be happy, because i'm really curious, if i made any major mistakes (probably).