Saved this one, just for today.

China Glass: Fab or Fake?
September 8, 2015 at 8:30 am
By Mr. Vivid

Expecting cannabis users to happily spend $3,300 on a dab rig may seem like a fool’s errand.

But the “Fabergé Egg” rigs created by Washington-based glass blower Mothership have proved so popular that the rigs are near-impossible to find — even with an unlimited bankroll and after a long road trip.

Following the phenomenal success of Mothership’s “Fab” designs, dozens of imitators have come to market. There is a surge of China-based clone manufacturers who have set out to solve the problem of supply and demand.

But what do you sacrifice when buying a clone?

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

A friend celebrated a birthday recently, and I wanted to score him a nice water pipe from a local shop. We went in together and instantly appreciated one of the offerings for its simplicity and ease of cleaning. It functioned perfectly, and has been a great gift. Later, I discovered we purchased a Chinese-made clone of an American glass designer.

Since then, I have hit several clones at parties and festivals. To be confusingly blunt, the craftsmanship is both impressive and lacking.

For starters, you get what you pay for. Crooked cold welded joints, glass bubbles, and poor finishing details are just a few of the flaws common to these mass-market clones, which nonetheless run for as little as $25 online — a fraction of what the smoke shops who sell them charge. You won’t get the flame polishing and exquisite detail you see on a Mothership — but you paid 2 percent of the cost.

There’s also a cultural divide. Cannabis is still very illegal in China, which means Chinese glass blowers are detached from cannabis culture. I doubt these glass blowers have ever used their rigs. Thus, they don’t understand important aspects like restriction. This is painfully obvious when you receive a non-functioning piece.

Nonetheless, function can be found. Your editor and I ordered two mini fab eggs from the same supplier, via DHGate.com. The same model, they nonetheless looked noticeably different. But they both worked, and considering the price and design, I would give the fab clone an 8 of 10. It made me instantly want to test another well-reviewed item like the straight Fab or the mini-Torus!

ARTIST SUBTRACTION

However, it is important to point out that cheap comes at a cost. Artists, inventors, and factory workers all deserve to make a living. Your local glass blower has a dangerous job that requires expensive equipment. Some of the markup on a Mothership is warranted. But, with legalization in sight, Mothership’s work could continue to grow in price. Meanwhile, the public is proving that there is significant demand for a feature-lacking clone.

I would like to see Mothership license their process, so as to not lock bong innovation in exclusive or illicit markets. Medical glass art should be for everyone who needs it; it should not be Veblen goods or require more than a month’s salary.

There is a reliable middle ground. For $200 to $300 or so, you can get most NorCal glass. The rig will be well thought out, and is made by people who understand cannabis. This isn’t the case with China, but they are getting a lot of feedback, and rapidly developing new copies. Among the most popular designs are the Torus Incycler, The Fab Family, FC-710, and the D020.

There are some things to watch out for. I would not purchase ceramic or metal from a Chinese clone maker. Metal alloy can be really nasty. We know these factories will sell you a clone, do you trust them to use the highest grade materials? Stick to clear glass or quartz, and pay a little more for American ceramics or metal. Peace of mind — and your health — is worth it.

EXPERT OPINION

I have purchased more than 100 bongs in my life, and have MacGuyver’d my share of Gatorade-bottle hacks. I have a pretty vast understanding of the subject, but certainly wanted to consult someone in the business.

So, I contacted a dozen artists and another dozen shops for comment. All but two turned me down.

I won’t mention the name of the San Francisco shop that appears to be currently selling a Chinese pipe, but they did tell me that it was American glass with a $200 price tag.

However, Vapor Smoke Shop on Stockton Street was willing to talk, and the crew there was refreshingly honest with me.

The manager didn’t seem surprised that other companies were unreachable on the subject due to the stigma associated with Chinese-made clone glass: unhealthy materials, wrong weighting, every corner cut.

They had the same quality concerns I had (such as the inconsistent fab hole spacing) but quickly hedged the criticism with a “but for $40?!?” comment.

What I really wanted to know was if they would sell something like this.

They immediately had legal concerns, quickly followed by reputation concerns. However, they thought it would fly off the shelf at $100.

As for the “real deal,” the only way the Vapor crew would ever sell a $2,500-$3,000 pipe is if someone asked for it by name, they told me.

Let’s face it — it’s not common for the reefer-smoking demographic to have an extra $2,500 to blow on glass.

It’s much more common to hear something like “That $100 bong is sweet, but I could have a quarter and a pack of papers for the same price.”

NO TROUBLE WITH LITTLE CHINA

You can’t replace the experience or instant gratification of your local head shop, but my experience with China glass was surprisingly terrific.

These markets provide an opportunity for collectors to try out exotic designs without the investment or risk. The better sellers have many positive reviews, and their work is heavily scrutinized.

Still, it is important to find a trusted dealer. The quality of the vape/smoke is wildly different between designs and sellers, so start with the most reviewed merchants: stevenlmz79, kathy0577, cleanclearglass, or sunshinestore are a few.

If you are curious, bubble over to DHgate.com and see if your next bong will be Made in China.

Disclaimer: I am not telling you to buy anything. Research your local laws before ordering crazy **** on the Internet.

Photo by Mr. Vivid