Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painted Skin 2: The Resurrection

I want to see this just for the visuals...

Painted Skin 2 : the Resurrection Movie Trailer

Why Painted Skin 2 has taken China by storm

Following China's ban on foreign films, Painted Skin 2 has become the country's highest grossing local film of all time, while also departing from tradition

Even The Dark Knight Rises isn't dark enough to slip through a Chinese blackout. Christopher Nolan's big finale recently got the thumbs up from the Beijing censors – but the ban on foreign films that started on 25 June means it has to wait its turn for a cinema slot. But what's bad news for angsty Gotham billionaires is happy days for human heart-quaffing fox demons; part of the reason why the Chinese government periodically imposes these restrictions. Supernatural romance sequel Painted Skin 2: The Resurrection, released three days after the ban, became the first local film in nearly six months to sit on the No 1 spot.

It did a bit more than that, in fact. Not only was it China's third highest opening weekend ever (300m yuan/$47m, behind Titanic 3D and the third Transformers), but it's now the highest grossing local film of all time, too ($111.8m to date). Directed by Mongolian-born up-and-comer Wuershan, it's a throwback to the heyday of the 90s Hong Kong supernatural titillator: actor-singers Zhou Xun and Zhao Wei play the aforementioned fox demon and a disfigured princess who, competing for the attention of a local frontier general, end up trading bodies. Think a Taoist Face/Off, with shimmery underwater sapphic writhings instead of showers of slow-mo bullet casings.

The Hollywood Reporter praised Painted Skin 2's "unbridled visual creativity", while shrinking from its more retrogressive elements, especially the depiction of some eye-rolling, black-magic-practising barbarians who were "a laughable throwback to long-outgrown film stereotypes".

But mostly, Wuershan gets his undeniably broad story stylings singing with mythic resonance. Not everything about his film is staunchly traditional, though. One obvious reason for the scale of its success is that it has tapped successfully into the female demographic that seems to be crucial if any blockbuster, Chinese or not, is to hit warp speed. Not just by casting two women leads, but by giving them decent roles, too, and a timeless theme – the significance of beauty – with deep-lunged dramatic breathing room. "Zhao's scenes with Zhou are much more emotionally resonant than those with the weak-eyed Chen [Kun], her putative romantic partner," noted Film Business Asia's Derek Elley.

Even more of a departure for the industry could be the fact that Painted Skin 2's backers Huayi Brothers – the country's largest private media company – avoided the director-centric approach of much Chinese film, and opted to put power in the hands of its producers instead: the Hollywood way. "They executed a market-oriented strategy in their selection of director, their screenplay development, their choice of release date, and their investment and production management," writes Robert Cain on his Chinafilmbiz blog, "It could have a long-lasting impact on Chinese film production."

Of course it's ironic that Painted Skin 2 needed a little old-fashioned government help for this apprentice in Hollywood market-economy ways not to be crushed by the real Hollywood. But that is the kind of paradox China likes now to throw up. Wuershan should know: he has embraced all players. His first film, hyperactive martial-arts comedy The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman, was for Fox International, executive-produced by Doug Liman (Mr and Mrs Smith), while his debut homegrown production yanks him right back towards classical Chinese culture. That always has exotic allure for western audiences; with Ice Age 4 tempting Chinese audiences back to Hollywood, we'll see how loyal the home crowd are feeling.

• Next week's After Hollywood will look at Spain's answer to Twilight. Meanwhile, what global box-office stories would you like to see covered in the column? Let us know in the comments below.

• Painted Skin 2 will be released in the UK as Demon Hunter: The Resurrection on Blu-Ray and DVD from Cine-Asia on 5 November.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Simon, you had me beat...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    Picked up a copy of Painted Skin II yesterday. Will be viewing some time next week.
    But where's the review?

So last Friday, I had an interview with RZA in Chinatown and that evening, I was working Phish at BGC, so I figured I'd stay in SF, work from home on Saturday, and treat myself to either Expendables 2 or Miike's Harakiri. Century at Embarcadero had neither, but Metreon had PS2. Metreon is AMC and AMC recently got bought out by a Chinese company, so they are playing some new Chinese movies. So I caught that and Dark Knight as it started right after PS2 ended. The showing I attended was essentially empty (there was one Asian couple, and then some theater hoppers ducked in but escaped quickly when they saw the subtitles).

Man, I wish I saw this in 3D. Like Avatar, a lot of it is CGI, so it is probably fairly robust 3D. It is visually stunning, like Legend of Zu was in its day. The color schemes are outrageous, cascades of flowing silk, glittering golden armor and ghostly white hair tentacles. I'm delighted to have seen this on the big screen. It's so visual and psychedelic. Vicky Zhao Wei and Zhou Xun return but this story is only loosely connected to the first. Vicky is a scarred princess general and gets to cry hell of a lot, which is her forte with those crazy huge eyes of hers. Zhou is the fox demon and she also has huge eyes, perfect for a demon. And Yang Mi perfectly chirpy as the bird demon. It's sappily romantic in that Chinese sacrifice-love-for-station-and-circumstance, and some of those scenes get a little long, but the musical interlude is a traditional melancholy ballad and all three actresses are just stunning in their roles. It's funny, sexy, tragic, campy and stylish, and apart from a few romantic scenes, moved at a decent pace to keep me engaged. The romantic scenes are redeemed by the literal giving of hearts, as demons have no hearts so they must eat them regularly and have one given willingly to become human.

Plus there's some fun sword fights. It's magical flying about coupled with some decent chopping.

Loved it, loved it, loved it, but I'm as much a sucker for Chinese myth and Vicky as I am for Catwoman, so take that into account.

It's all about Wuershan for me now. I loved this movie. I loved tBtC&tS. I'm watching everything he makes for a while.

I just realized that Yang Mi was also the hottie in Wu Dang but I read her 'English' name in the credits. She has two English names: Mini Yang and Mimi Yang. I didn't put that together as her character in this film was so different.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I confess - this film is a guilty pleasure

According to Box Office Mojo, it's playing in 6 theaters in the U.S., two of which are in the S.F. Bay Area.

A Fantasy Land Where Love and Betrayal Reign
    ‘Painted Skin: The Resurrection,’ by Wuershan
    By JEANNETTE CATSOULIS
    Published: August 16, 2012

Despite its obsession with a triumvirate of powerful women, “Painted Skin: The Resurrection,” Wuershan’s fantastical follow-up to Gordon Chan’s popular 2008 original, plays like the death knell of feminism. Not that this is likely to be of concern to the film’s target audience, whose appetite for ancient Chinese ghost stories is more vulnerable to a scarcity of special effects than to a surfeit of regressive sexual attitudes.

Chen Kun as Gen. Hou Xin in “Painted Skin: The Resurrection,” a fantasy film directed by Wuershan.

That said, this deliciously nutty love story — sample dialogue: “Let me eat this heart, then we can pick azaleas together” — is blindingly gorgeous to look at and exceptionally well acted, at least by the women. As a fox demon recently freed after 500 years in an ice prison, Zhou Xun is craftily seductive, munching on human hearts to postpone refreezing. As the lovelorn princess who conceals her scarred face behind a golden mask, Zhao Wei pines like a pro and brandishes a sword as well as any warrior. And the splendidly named Yang Mini, playing a bird demon unwisely aflutter for a goofy demon hunter, is bewitchingly playful.

Then there are the men, who range in unworthiness from a comatose king and an insipid general (Chen Kun) to a bald wizard with a bad case of gingivitis. Besotted by the general’s flowing locks and limpid eyes, the princess exchanges her heart for the fox’s demonic beauty, a transaction accomplished with the aid of sinuous animation and much underwater hanky-panky. Imagine John Woo’s “Face/Off” crossed with the Neve Campbell-Denise Richards pool scene from “Wild Things,” and you’ll get the idea. The moral? Never go swimming with a woman whose head zips up the back.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    According to Box Office Mojo, it's playing in 6 theaters in the U.S., two of which are in the S.F. Bay Area.
    i hate you
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol owned!!

I'm just jealous is all, its not playing near me. I'll be watching Hara-Kiri 3D tomorrow night though
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

i hate you

Only the 2D version of Hara-Kiri is playing here and it's up in SF. Not sure if I'll be able to make it up there in time. I will look forward to your review of it however. Have a great weekend!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Only the 2D version of Hara-Kiri is playing here and it's up in SF. Not sure if I'll be able to make it up there in time. I will look forward to your review of it however. Have a great weekend!
    Thanks Gene, you too! 6 o'clock and I'm out of here!!!!

'They'll never take our Freedom!'

Quote Originally Posted by Sardinkahnikov View Post
    I must say that this looks incredibly silly. I mean, "Erotic Ghost Story"? Please.

And this coming from a guy who loves the Bill & Ted movies.
    That bugged me too but for different reasons. "Erotic Ghost Story" is a made up name with very little relationship to the original Chinese that they were "translating". The movies are based on a monster from an actual classic collection of ancient Chinese folktales but the more standard English name for the text is "Tales of The Strange". It's kind of like a Chinese Grim's fairy tales.

edit: here's a wiki on "Erotic Ghost Story": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liao_Zhai
    from the wiki:
    The main characters of this book apparently are ghosts, foxes, immortals and demons, but the author actually focused on people’s real life. He used those oddities to illustrate his ideas of the society and the government. He criticized the corruption and unjustness in the society and sympathized on those poor people. There are four main themes in this collection.

First is to complain the feudal system where everyone is not equal. The author exposed that many officers and rich people committed crime without punishment just because they had privilege. This theme can be found in these stories, such as “the Cricket”, “Xi Fangping”, and “Shang Sanguan” The author was angry with the unfairness of the feudal government.

Secondly, the author disclosed the corrupt examination system at that time. Because Songling had taken imperial exams, he had real experience and found that the exams were unfair. Many students cheated and bribed examiners or the officers who graded their paper. In addition, this education system has destroyed the scholars’ mind and ruined their creativity. Stories, such as “Kao San Sheng”, “Ya Tou”, and “Scholar Wang Zi-an”, contain this theme.

Third theme is to admire the pure and faithful love between the poor scholars and powerless women. Songling wrote many stories about the love between beautiful and kind female ghosts and poor students. The author highly praised those women who helped their lovers or husbands to achieve success and took care of their husbands’ life. Readers can find those good-looking and kind-hearted female ghosts or foxes in the stories like “Lian Xiang”, “Yingning” and “Nie Xiaoqian”.

Fourth is to criticize people’s immoral behavior and to educate people by those stories. The author embedded some moral standards and Taoist principles into the stories, so they are like parables, such as “Painted Skin” and “The Taoist of Lao Mountain”
    Oddly enough, this movie caught my eye because when PS1 (the movie, not the gaming system) came out, completely by coincidence, I was preparing a presentation on the original for a course I was taking at college. The only thing the movie(s) have to do with the original Chinese tale is the general idea of the monster. Like most of the stories in Liao Zhai Zhi Yi (Tales of the Strange) the protagonist is not a badass army general but rather a shy intellectual with no money. Wiki has a decent summary of "Painted Skin" but it differs a bit from how I remember it. It gets the gist across though.

Anyways, a hell of a lot of Chinese action movies have been based (very loosely) on stories from Liao Zhai. There's another one out very recently about some guys who get lost inside a painting in a temple and in the world of the painting there is also a painting of the "real" world that they came from. The supernatural people on the other side tell "fantastic" stories about the "strange" world in their painting. Very meta. Also several hundred years old.
    Last edited by omarthefish; 08-25-2012 at 04:40 AM.