Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Punching Technique and how it compares to Boxing

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i rub dit da jow on them every day. they grow big
    you must be reading the forumla upside down. Dit Da Jow is supposed to reduce swelling...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

i have special recipe. mayonaise and kfc chicken skin and urine of young boy.

i think the main problem with training today #1 is lack of manliness. kung fu needs to instill spirit of manliness. for example less than 100 years ago white crane looked like karate. now it looks like old prostitute waving to customer.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-02-2010 at 08:36 AM.

i have special recipe. mayonaise and kfc chicken skin and urine of young boy.

i think the main problem with training today #1 is lack of manliness. kung fu needs to instill spirit of manliness. for example less than 100 years ago white crane looked like karate. now it looks like old prostitute waving to customer.
    You know, you actually have a very good point.
    The white crane one, not the KFC, you freak !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i think stop teaching forms will solve a lot of problems right away

The stunner is that Bawang is actually a fat white kid who plays World of Warcraft and likes to sometimes post here with bad grammar.

I'm not fooled.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

yes i am a fat white kid. so what? i have no shame.
    *rubs testicles and looks at youtube for 2 hours

Talking Footwork last?

When I began to learn Bak Mei my sifu stressed footwork first. I remember sometimes where the whole lesson was footwork and distance in relation to your opponent. We did it with a guard (hands up) the whole time to get the feeling of movement. It was later that we added strikes and shuai and so forth. Still to this day we often have a lesson with mostly footwork but now at least it is foot work with applications. Constant drilling.

thats really rare these days mang. in canada i only met one guy who taught like that
    he had been in canada for 30 years and never got many students. at 50 years old he was so poor he was working in a chinese restaurant. thats the price you might pay if you devote your life to kung fu and teach real kung fu, and u dont get lucky. a life poverty and loneliness, i think u guys need to know that
    Last edited by bawang; 07-02-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Talking

Yeah, he mainly teaches out of his garage and while he is an excellent teacher and has trained in the more popluar styles(BJJ, Muay Thai, etc.) he loves kung fu too much and has stopped teaching those other styles all together. Which is an obvious hit to cash intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    comparably I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Boxing focuses on punches exclusively, (dependent upon the era "dirty boxing" taken into account.") I've always been of the conclusion that you can train many things but can only master a few. Boxing is a demension of fighting, a 1 sided one, but one indeed. It focuses on standup striking and caters to that only. that being said, it is not a hard pill to swallow stating that if you want to get your striking better on your punches you should probably go take some boxing lessons, where it is stress and tested.
    No trying to be the troll here, but why even train gung fu in the first place if you get more from boxing? If boxing has better fire power than your gung fu, then you are not doing yourself any favors.
    I agree that boxing does seem to have stronger punches than most gung fu, with a few exceptions. While a young man I wanted to be a golden glove champ and spent a good deal of my time boxing at the local boy's club, but having trained 8 or 9 years in my system of gung fu, I could not escape my earlier training, and used the footwork and guard as well as the punching techniques. I had a hard time not kicking. I could switch guards, left,right,left and literally destroy an opponents defense. Forget that I won most of my matches, my boxing instructer dismissed me as not being able to box very well.
    If boxing is your first experience with fighting you will be forever trying to inject it into every martial art you put your hand to because it will be the most comfortable. I know this because I started my first training at 10 years and by the time I tried anything else I pretty much had it down to a science. It would find it's way into everything I did.

yes i am a fat white kid. so what? i have no shame.
    *rubs testicles and looks at youtube for 2 hours
    It's ok. You are still my favorite.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

i met some chinese kung fu people from mainland who tried to come and teach real kung fu. they had no connections and taught too traditinoal, ran out of money and had to work in chinatown, maybe for the rest of their lives, all the identical story.

i went to toronto right after high school thinking i could find kung fu people then devote my life to kung fu. i ended up working in chinatown too like the rest of them. not only that but because i was starving i wasted away, i lost all my gong fu. i lost all my muscles and the fist i worked for 5 years just peeled off . all i found was some abc and 50 year old crackers that liked to get together and talk about sports and their wifes baby, then do a form once in a while.

its easy to complain about how kung fu sux, but its really hard to try to reform for real. i understand the sifus that just wanna teach the rice bowls and make a decent living, the alternative is horrible.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-02-2010 at 09:29 AM.

In the end, if you really want to keep your school, it's a business, and you need to look at it that way. You may have to compromise a few things if you want to stay afloat. Stuff like belts, contemporary cirriculum, and forms may all be a necessary evil.

You don't necessarily have to claim to teach "teh streetz deadly", but there is some pandering to the audience that must be done.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

the problem is people have died because of this sh1t. thousands of soldiers died in the past because of sh1t instructors. in formation treatise qi jiguang laments how soldiers got chopped in half while desperately trying to use their fake kung fu, and the ground was littered with chopped off arms and legs.
    all because some scammer taught their "twirling sabers, spinning spears, rolling tiger forks"

for me my conscience is not gonna let me do that. if you need money teaching kung fu isnt the right career. go to college. if we teach we ned to teach it right or not at all
    Last edited by bawang; 07-02-2010 at 09:50 AM.

i met some chinese kung fu people from mainland who tried to come and teach real kung fu. they had no connections and taught too traditinoal, ran out of money and had to work in chinatown, maybe for the rest of their lives, all the identical story.

i went to toronto right after high school thinking i could find kung fu people then devote my life to kung fu. i ended up working in chinatown too like the rest of them. not only that but because i was starving i wasted away, i lost all my gong fu. i lost all my muscles and the fist i worked for 5 years just peeled off . all i found was some abc and 50 year old crackers that liked to get together and talk about sports and their wifes baby, then do a form once in a while.

its easy to complain about how kung fu sux, but its really hard to try to reform for real. i understand the sifus that just wanna teach the rice bowls and make a decent living, the alternative is horrible.
    Well, when it comes to the rice bowl, having many students usually results in poor quality gung fu. Or is that what you were saying? I have taught a very few people, and it was by request and not really for money, as I have always had financial means, money was never an issue. If one could spur enough interest, he could personally handle upward of 120 students and earn a decent living. One would have to live in a huge metroplex though.