Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: body structure and hitting hard

body structure and hitting hard

When I used to do wing chun I used to be rubbish at the "stance test" i.e having someone push you in the chest or on an extended punch whilst standing the stance.

My training partner was very good at this but when it came to punching his power was significantly weaker than mine(we are the same size)
    What was he doing wrong?

static posture has little to do with dynamic, and being able to recieve force is not the same as being able to deliver it

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    static posture has little to do with dynamic, and being able to recieve force is not the same as being able to deliver it
    Correct.
    Static tests and stances have very little to do with dynamic movements.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I see that as a variation of my test# 1...

But the key in my structure tests is that none of them are truly static. They all involve movement.

And I fully agree, he probably needed to focus more and hit the pads and shields more. Perhaps he was not aiming through the target pad?

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    I see that as a variation of my test# 1...

But the key in my structure tests is that none of them are truly static. They all involve movement.

And I fully agree, he probably needed to focus more and hit the pads and shields more. Perhaps he was not aiming through the target pad?
    From what I gather from your DVD, that test is a fluid and dynamic one, the person being "pressed upon" is suppose the "redirect" the energy, but maintain structure and if that means "rotating or shifting axis" you do it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    From what I gather from your DVD, that test is a fluid and dynamic one, the person being "pressed upon" is suppose the "redirect" the energy, but maintain structure and if that means "rotating or shifting axis" you do it, right?
    No shifting of axis horizontally left or right, but shift of axis vertically with pelvis up or down...

...and not necessarily redirecting, but equalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    No shifting of axis horizontally left or right, but shift of axis vertically with pelvis up or down...

...and not necessarily redirecting, but equalizing.
    The equalizing part,yes...How does one equalize dynamic force from a static position?

Quote Originally Posted by IRONMONK View Post
    When I used to do wing chun I used to be rubbish at the "stance test" i.e having someone push you in the chest or on an extended punch whilst standing the stance.

My training partner was very good at this but when it came to punching his power was significantly weaker than mine(we are the same size)
    What was he doing wrong?
    The "stance test" is just a very basic way of testing your ability to "receive" pressure.

I can not say why your punch is more powerful without seeing what you both are doing.

The equalizing part,yes...How does one equalize dynamic force from a static position?
    Being stationary does not mean one is "static."

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Being stationary does not mean one is "static."
    Granted, but Robert said that the uncoming force is equalized, not redirect so I ask how does one do that in a stance where no (opposing) movement is allowed to "counter" the force?
    Is it weight shifting because that is very limited VS a dynamic application of force.

Granted, but Robert said that the uncoming force is equalized, not redirect so I ask how does one do that in a stance where no (opposing) movement is allowed to "counter" the force?
    Is it weight shifting because that is very limited VS a dynamic application of force.
    They appear to be shifting/moving their center forward structurally... It's a bit different from what I am familiar with...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post
    They appear to be shifting/moving their center forward structurally... It's a bit different from what I am familiar with...
    Which is fine VS an application of controlled force but when force is applied dynamiclly AND explosively for example, how does it work?
    Again, redirecting I am very familiar with but equalizing...

Which is fine VS an application of controlled force but when force is applied dynamiclly AND explosively for example, how does it work?
    Again, redirecting I am very familiar with but equalizing...
    Well as I said this is different from what I know, but they appear to be applying a forward vectored structure to match the force...with force....and also using it as a kind of pre-sprawl in the event of attempted take-down... Do you have Alan's videos?
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

This can't be described simply over the internet -- it is a SKILL you need to be shown.

While you don't move your feet (so remain stationary), your body, torso, legs, etc, all respond dynamically (move).

Paul,

The body works along longtitudinal chains of muscles (which incidentally, is the basis of Chinese acupuncture and meridian system, so when Hendrik uses the 8 extra channels or Qi Heng Ba Mai as an explanation is not far off), and basically, through a lot of practice and kinesthetic feel, you will get that right linkage.

Basically, you are looking for that positioned "wedge" or "sweet spot". For example, when shoveling snow or dirt, you have to "get just underneath the handle" to apply the leverage, and then the shoveling becomes easy. The structure test is to align the body vertically to make you into a human "wedge", just equalizing enough first then be able to ward off, redirect, guide, totter the opponent.

Some muscles are relaxed, others are contracted, others held with partial contracture. Muscles relaxed will give you more weight. Too much muscle contracture will make you a lever to be easily tossed. Relaxation and letting go can help a lot here.

The skill is in the practice and the kinesthetic feel. And of course, that requires a lot of time to develop skill.

I don't know how much that helped because really, kinesthetic feel is required. I tried my best here in this medium, Paul. I think you owe me a pretty girl poster.