Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: for Terence...

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    And you're missing the big picture.
    yeah I'm missing YOUR big picture the nail and hammer , I will meditate on its depth, be back in a moment............................................ .................................
    nope cant see it

have fun with your crayons, twitch twitch...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Was waiting for that one, Bill...

You didn't disappoint!
    Victor,
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I can say that I am disappointed.
    I know there's a lot of anger being directed at Terence in this forum, but I don't buy into that. I think he makes some good points but I am often left wondering what the goal is here.
    NOTE: These are rehtorical questions. No response is required.

Peace,
    Bill
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Victor,
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I can say that I am disappointed.
    I know there's a lot of anger being directed at Terence in this forum, but I don't buy into that. I think he makes some good points but I am often left wondering what the goal is here.
    NOTE: These are rehtorical questions. No response is required.

Peace,
    Bill
    Hello,

I would say that lately, T is presenting some very good points worthy of discussion.

Wait a moment........................did I actually say something in support of Terence Surely a sign that the end times are upon us
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Thumbs up Terrence,Matrix, Kdell

Well really interesting.

I have been reading T's post. Much of what he says reminds me of my lineage. We too use the balls of our feet. But I like to share a few things.

With the Wing Chun punch, its alot different than Choy Li Fut, Chang Quan(Long Fist) or a Boxers punch. I like the whole Nail and Hammer thing. Although Terrence I think you have gotten the nail and hammer backwards or mixed up. I always thought of the nail being the Fist and the hammer is the power behind the fist driving the nail into the wood or body driving the fist into your opponents body. But any way its all good! I get your points and wouldn't dream of taking away from them. Infact I agree on all fronts. I believe some people are arguing with you on the basis of past greviances. But anyway great analogy. I found myself intriqued by what you had to say. From my own studies of WC power generation with the punches I have found various ways to manifest the power or increase output. Now asside from the obivious building of external and internal power from practice which means 100 to 1000 push ups daily, 1000 punches in the air,Punches on the wall bag, functional weight training and stamina training. You have several mechanics with in the WC to boost your power. Needless to say 100lbs vegetarian weakling will not be able to stand up 100 or more push a day heavy bag hitting meat eater. If both use the same mechanics and theory of course the one who does 100 or more push ups a day will hit harder with WC mechanics. Because the velocity is going to be greater. Im not going to go into the whole inch power discussion I will save that for another time.

But basically ways to generate WC Punch power with the body.

First of all the Center, some call it the Root others call it Internal Force or Chi. I call it the Body. Using your body to generate force. Now in YKS we curl and release upon impact which gives us greater retraction force. There is also the ability to increase leverage with the punch by shifting your horse(stance). This will add power. Now if you utilize the breath and snap at end of your punch, this will give you even more power. Now imagine doing all this and at the same time stepping forward. And their are additional ways to add power. Some call it Jing/Geng. I will not go indepth about this. I will let those who feel they know more about subject discuss it greater clarity. But in either case. Let me give you the List.

1.Whole body (Curl and Torso Expansion)
    2.Breathe out - With snap at end of the fist
    3.Twist Hips (Turning Horse)
    4.Stepping Horse(Advancing horse)
    5.Jing/Geng

***In my lineage "Stepping Rotating Side Punch" or "Moving Single Dragon Punch" would be the equivelent of utilizing most and or all of the above ways to generate power in your punch.

Now if you combined them all together when you punch you will have a devasting blow driving into their center. It will be like having a spear and driving into someones sternum or heart. The force use to impale them will be devasting. WC punches are like impalment in a way. Your driving the force directly in. Where as Choy Li fut uses swinging motions to generate power. WC uses forward or advancing energy.

Now of course the power is manifested from the ground up. In other words the force you generate starts with your toes and feet,goes up your legs to your hips and Waist, up your spine and through your shoulders to your elbow and wrist and out your knuckles. Think of your Joints as conduits for your power. If this talking is too high sounding and too philospical for you. Let me make it simple for you.

Find an opponent who is hundred or more pounds Heavier than you. Try to move him with a punch. If you find yourself moving back or feel your legs buckle under pressure or you feel a strenous sensation in your knees or feet to where you loose your footing then you will understand you have a weakness there that needs to be worked out. To do so you can hit an heavy bag or a tree with extremely padded gloves or hit a sand wall bag on a cement wall. When you punch the Wall Bag or Tree with out loosing your stance then you will have the understanding you need. Of course with a leather heavy bag you may not need gloves. But a canvas bag you will need training gloves to advoid scaring your knuckles.

When you can hit the Wall Bag and not loose your stance, Hit the heavy bag and not be moved or Punched a tree with severly gloved hands an not loose your footing then you will have acheived whole body force. After that other elements can be added to improve,increase, and excel your power. But with out whole body force where your entire body moves as a unit you will never have the Hammer. A nail with out a hammer is useless. Just try driving a nail in some wood with a pillow and tell me how that works for you. So your body needs to be train to become a hammer too. Just knowing the theory of something aint good for shyt(Shlt). You need practicality behind your talk. In other words it needs to be practiced, tested,experimented with and proven. Once you able to control your horse under pressure. Now its time to try it out by drilling with a bigger partner. Once your able to affect his structure with out loosing yours then you can Test and Prove it against a real, aggressive resisting opponent!

Well thats it for now. I pray you guys don't critque my writing to badly. Anyway I pray this helps someone out there!

- A weak body must start with strength improvement.

- Internally develop the chi; externally train the tendons, bones and muscles.

- Power is generated from the joints. Strength originates from the heels.

- In uniting the waist with the stance, power can be generated.

- Coordinate the hands and feet. Movement is together.

- To maintain good balance of strength, grip the ground with the toes.

- The knees lead the stance. The waist links the body. Where the mind goes, the eyes go, and the hands and feet follow.

- Feet and hands work together, and the threat comes to an end.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 05-09-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Listen to your opponent and allow him to lead you to his openings
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Thanks for the info Yoshi!
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    Thanks for the info Yoshi!
    Your welcome Vankuen
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"