Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVD review

I spent $35.00 on this last weekend,
    finally found the right one:

Quality of quantitiy.
    Sure it would be nice to see 60 techniques in 60 minutes, but what would you learn?
    IF those 35 min teach you something and you can learn from them, then it's better than doing the same thing in 60 min, no?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    You started this thread and asked if what this teacher has is of merit.

Pony up the 35.00 and get the dvd and then you can answer your own questions.

good luck with your attitude. seems you have no idea what Wu De is about.

You say you respect what he has, and how he learned it yet you B I T C H about such a small amount of money, and ask an open question on a MA forum about him and his material.

Respect is buying the DVD and showing Shifu Patterson you are interested in his material.
    I respect everyone somewhat equally. Mike Patterson isn't my teacher so I don't need to show him anymore respect than a smile in the subway as I'm walking by. You're pushing your overblown wu de machoness on the subject. If someone puts out a product I have the right, since it's my money, to ask questions about it. Is it disrespectful to find out if a doctor has a lot of lawsuits/complaints against him before going under his knife? No.

Thank you to the rest of you for your answers. I liked the point about how most videos can be cut down to a half hour of quality instruction although I have some very good DVDs that could not be cut down without taking away vital information.

And finally someone who actually bought the DVDs weighed in. Thank you for that.
    Last edited by SavvySavage; 03-25-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Quality of quantitiy.
    Sure it would be nice to see 60 techniques in 60 minutes, but what would you learn?
    IF those 35 min teach you something and you can learn from them, then it's better than doing the same thing in 60 min, no?
    I have an Anderson Silva DVD that shows about 40 combinations in 55 minutes. You see it done from different angles, you are told when to use it, and he moves on. Anything else you learn about them is going to be gleaned through trial and error while sparring, anyway.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Has anyone here viewed the 2 Internal Power Dynamics DVDs by Mike Patterson? Mike Patterson teachs hsing I, ba gua, and tai ji for competitin and fighting. I was wondering if anyone thinks the power building excercises are beneficial to those who already have experience.

Normally I mightve just bought it and made my own assessment but the DVD is only 35 min and it costs $35. That's a dollar a minute! A little too pricey to be buying on the fly, IMO
    Post the link, I might buy it since I'm a little familiar with him from other dvd's.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I have an Anderson Silva DVD that shows about 40 combinations in 55 minutes. You see it done from different angles, you are told when to use it, and he moves on. Anything else you learn about them is going to be gleaned through trial and error while sparring, anyway.
    Well, whippty freaking do !!!

Now, did he HAVE to show ALL those combos?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ok, two things:

1) Private lessons with a Traditional teacher is not forms while he watches, unless the teacher is a forms collector.
    I have private lessons with my teacher all the time.
    He has me do the form once, makes a correction,
    and then for the next few hours it's all hands-on.

2) $35.00 is cheap for a DVD these days, and is well worth the money, providing the info is good. Many sell for around $60.00.

What nobody seemed to mention is that for your 35 bucks, it's not at all like a private lesson. It's not a one shot deal.
    You get to watch the dvd over and over again, pause it, play it back as many times as you like, at any time of the day or night, whenever you like.
    Shifu Patterson has a good rep as well, so what have you got to lose?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ok, two things:
    or maybe three....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I respect everyone somewhat equally. Mike Patterson isn't my teacher so I don't need to show him anymore respect than a smile in the subway as I'm walking by. You're pushing your overblown wu de machoness on the subject. If someone puts out a product I have the right, since it's my money, to ask questions about it. Is it disrespectful to find out if a doctor has a lot of lawsuits/complaints against him before going under his knife? No.

Thank you to the rest of you for your answers. I liked the point about how most videos can be cut down to a half hour of quality instruction although I have some very good DVDs that could not be cut down without taking away vital information.

And finally someone who actually bought the DVDs weighed in. Thank you for that.
    Good luck with your public classes and gleaming information off dvds.

My door is open, and I can show you much.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    ok, two things:

1) Private lessons with a Traditional teacher is not forms while he watches, unless the teacher is a forms collector.
    I have private lessons with my teacher all the time.
    He has me do the form once, makes a correction,
    and then for the next few hours it's all hands-on.

2) $35.00 is cheap for a DVD these days, and is well worth the money, providing the info is good. Many sell for around $60.00.

What nobody seemed to mention is that for your 35 bucks, it's not at all like a private lesson. It's not a one shot deal.
    You get to watch the dvd over and over again, pause it, play it back as many times as you like, at any time of the day or night, whenever you like.
    Shifu Patterson has a good rep as well, so what have you got to lose?
    Pretty much what I said. But I get lambasted by some net ghost who asks a million questions on other threads and when told how to simply fix it he quotes medical doctors malpractice as being a good standard for purchasing martial arts dvds.

good luck with that.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 03-25-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Tentigers,

you always have to be so darn politically correct. I brought the time issue up but it was minor. You're correct that $35 isn't a lot IF the info is good. I started this thread to find out if the info was worth it.

I've learned a lot of forms from some very esteemed traditinal teachers. Do they teach other things? Of course. But we did a lot of forms. Too much in my opinion. I wouldn't go to a private lesson of the arm falling type. This is where I throw a semi-hard punch at you and you do crazy techniques that wouldn't work if I were resisting. That's why I believe what judo people do is good training.

Dale,
    you were somewhat ambiguous with your last statement. Were you throwing out your feathers again or were you inviting me down for a friendly private lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    David,

Breaking someone's ricebowl is offensive. Unless it is Brian Gray we are talking about.

Shifu Patterson has a lot to offer those seeking how to use their material effectively.

You want to come out and state his material is not worth the money, how about coming out with something other than words, as he is doing?

You put down a lot of people, yet never show us if you have any skills or not.
    I don't put down a lot of people and by saying a dvd is too expensive considering the time and material in question is not breaking anyone;'s rice bowl.

It's merely pointing out that a 35 dollar dvd in a world of 20 dollar dvds that are more extensive and longer lasting time wise is not something that I wouldn't question.

I'm sure Mr. Patterson knows his subject, but is he pricing it appropriately? It is not in line with hundreds of others of offerings out there so what does that say about those?

So, no one is putting anyone down and no one is trying to break anyones rice bowl. Just seeking a little justification in regards to a 35 dollar dvd that has 35 minutes of material maybe on it.

Also, I put down a lot of people? I think not Dale. I question the motivations of some and it is always in context to what they are stating or implying.

Over the years, I have openly exchanged, met up with, crossed hands with, demonstrated for and with others in the martial community in a variety of places and venues. I'm sorry if you never bumped hip to any of it or weren't around when I was dropping vids and writing articles etc etc. But I can't do anything about that. That's not why I'm into it anyway.

So, don't bag on me about my comments even if Mike Patterson is a pal of yours personally, that doesn't matter.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As pointed out the cost is not much... and the teachers rep is good... But as always buyer beware just because someone has a good rep doesn't mean they put out a good product or that this particular product is worth the cost..... so this gentleman is being sensible asking for feedback before spending his money. Its nothing to do with being disrespectful or anything of the sort, once you put out a commercial product then the buyer is entitled to see if its worth the cost.

The other point is how much can you learn from a video anyway, i have always found out its from hands on training that you get the most benefit, no matter what level you are at, can you learn from tapes if you are good enough...sure but can you learn more fom actually being with a teacher...yes

Tentigers,

you always have to be so darn politically correct. I brought the time issue up but it was minor. You're correct that $35 isn't a lot IF the info is good. I started this thread to find out if the info was worth it.

I've learned a lot of forms from some very esteemed traditinal teachers. Do they teach other things? Of course. But we did a lot of forms. Too much in my opinion. I wouldn't go to a private lesson of the arm falling type. This is where I throw a semi-hard punch at you and you do crazy techniques that wouldn't work if I were resisting. That's why I believe what judo people do is good training.

Dale,
    you were somewhat ambiguous with your last statement. Were you throwing out your feathers again or were you inviting me down for a friendly private lesson?
    Anytime you want to come learn I can help you.

OK everyone, 1, 2, 3: