Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is training in China worth it?

is training in China worth it?

hey, my shaolin kung fu school is going to china in late august for two weeks. I guess they're going to bejing for a couple days to visit the great wall and some cultural sights and then the're going to the shaolin temple and are training at a school in defeng for the rest of the time. The total cost is going to be about $3000 that includes everything, passport, roundtrip plane tickets, lodging, food, training in kung fu, tour, everything.

I'm really split on whether I should go or not. I don't think I'll ever get the chance to go to china again, but then again it's $3000. I saw online that shi de yang charges only $550 for a month of kung fu training and that includes everything. With the plane ticket it'd come up to about $1800 for the month.

I was wondering if anyone here thought it was worth it to train in china for a couple weeks? and do you think that the trip my school is offering is worth it as well?

I did the same thing several years back, and it changed my life. I have now been living in china for close to 4 years. I have had many great opportunities since then, that I never would have had back in the states. You will not regert it, definitely go.

You should definately go. Traveling to a foreign country will change your life for the better. You really can't put a price on the experience.

On the other hand, $3000 for a two week trip is pricey. And less than that time for training won't really allow it to soak in. I remember the first time I trained full-time in Dengfeng. I could only train for 10 days. My body and mind didn't start adjust until maybe the last couple days. A month is better.

Also, if you go by yourself, you have to factor in the cost of the visa, and the hassle of getting around by yourself (then again, that builds character and you are likely to have some funny stories to tell your friends back home). $3000 for experiences of a lifetime with your training partners, while eating some good food and seeing some amazing sights might be a price you'd be willing to pay.

But yes, you should go either way.

when you are lying on your death bed, what will have more importance in your memory?

3000 dollars you once had or the time you spent in China?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by marbas View Post
    hey, my shaolin kung fu school is going to china in late august for two weeks. I guess they're going to bejing for a couple days to visit the great wall and some cultural sights and then the're going to the shaolin temple and are training at a school in defeng for the rest of the time. The total cost is going to be about $3000 that includes everything, passport, roundtrip plane tickets, lodging, food, training in kung fu, tour, everything.

I'm really split on whether I should go or not. I don't think I'll ever get the chance to go to china again, but then again it's $3000. I saw online that shi de yang charges only $550 for a month of kung fu training and that includes everything. With the plane ticket it'd come up to about $1800 for the month.

I was wondering if anyone here thought it was worth it to train in china for a couple weeks? and do you think that the trip my school is offering is worth it as well?
    Its a cultural thing, and there is something very inspiring about training a MA in its native land.
    Don't expect to learn how to fling chi balls out of your arse, just enjoy the experience that you may only have once in a lifetime.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Two friends are talking about going to Chen Village and Wudang for 6-12 months training. I don't know about Chen Village, but was told Wudang is about $1000-$1200 per month. That may or may not be the complete package.

$3000 isn't bad if it includes meals, admission to all the tourist stuff and a translator. Training in China is priceless. However, 2 weeks is short and you will spend most of that time getting used to training. The last couple of days your body will have recovered enough to the time change, training regime, and food to really start training. But it will still be worth it.

1. It costed me 4000 $ to travel in Europe for 6 weeks.

It was in 1980's.

I collected some visa stamps in different languages in my Taiwanese passport.

Just for the direct experience of being there is priceless.

2. for kung fu learning, depending what you need and are looking for.

a direct training session with a good teacher may worth a lot--

or just a review or verification of what you already known.

3. Timing, if you visit China off season, your plane ticket and hotel accommodation may be sliced in half---

if money is a concern, go at different time when the cost is lower--

4. Be sure to take a lot of pictures and take a lot of the notes if you decide to go.

---

at current time

there is a severe drought (shortage of river water) and sand storms going on in southwest China

including si chuan--

it is spreading north.

not a good time to visit the southwest.

http://english.cri.cn/8706/2010/03/24/179s558908.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX0RMuA6zus

Last edited by SPJ; 03-24-2010 at 07:25 AM.

worth it!
    just do it
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

I *just* returned from my 2nd annual 2 week trip to the Philippines for training.

I will say, if you have any desire to *really* immerse yourself in your art of choice, you will gain a great deal from training across the world. Its not just the training, its the dinners after training, the late night talks with the local students, meeting others in your "family", and so on and so forth. It will make you a better martial artist and a more experienced person, and it will give you insight that will be valuable if you ever decide to teach and pass your art on.

I say, pay your seniors their respect by visiting them in their native country...

Thumbs up Going to China or not

Like David said don't regret not going later. It may just be your only chance while you can really enjoy it from many angles. Have learned that sometime a chance comes along and if you don't take it that it may never come along again. Go! Good Luck! Have fun!

An able traveler can do China for much cheaper.

However, a first-timer might lose his shirt if he tries it alone. Sure, you can finagle a much lower price, but you'd have to speak Mandarin and have good guanxi (if you don't know what guanxi is, there's no way you'd thrive there). If you went to Shaolin by yourself, you'd get eaten alive by the tourist trappers.

Keep in mind that the $3K also pays for your tour guide/translator, and hopefully four-star accommodations and tour packages.

Also, it's through your school, so it helps support your school.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up In chicago?

If you are talking about the trip with shi Yanju then do it. I did it last year and it was totally worth it. I may also go with him again this august. He gets you access to shaolin that isn't availabe to the average student. Also the lodgeing is much better than the wushu schools.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

BTW, to put in better perspective the cost. It's actually $2300 for the 15 days, all inclusive, the rest of the money is for the airfare from chicago to beijing and back. also after seeing the bathrooms in the wushu school it was worth the extra money to have a western toilet. lol
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/