Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January/February 2010 issue

January/February 2010 issue

We've just posted our table of contents. This issue is hitting the newsstands now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

when??

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    We've just posted our table of contents. This issue is hitting the newsstands now.
    Oh my.... 13 postures by Master Helen Liang.... you know Master Liang can really explain the internal so we can understand it.... That water boxing article shut me down from reading anything else for 3 days....

This is gonna arrive at our house when???????

The other articles aren't bad either....

Congrats Gene, another winner!
    .... Skip

You should be getting your issue any day now

I've already got some positive feedback from some of our subscribers so I know they've received their issues.

As for Helen Liang, the article is part of a new 2-part DVD series from her and her father Liang Shouyu.
    Taiji 13 Postures
    Yin Yang Taiji 13 Postures
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks Gene!

I've already got some positive feedback from some of our subscribers so I know they've received their issues.

As for Helen Liang, the article is part of a new 2-part DVD series from her and her father Liang Shouyu.
    Taiji 13 Postures
    Yin Yang Taiji 13 Postures
    I should have guessed, they have produced quite a few DVD's.........

Usually I will not buy a DVD of a different style from ours...

I'll read the 13 postures article and then decide if they are truely "styleless"..... In any case, her articles are great!

And the interview with the Grandmasters sounds good.... always something new to read...
    .... Skip

just got my jan/feb issue in the mail. the piece on GM Novak is great.

its always a treat to hear from guys like that. not only his martial art record but his service record, ww2, paramedic, police officer, bouncer, etc. very impressive.

his comment on modern wushu and mma i found to be pretty insightfull, especially coming from a man with his experience. ill say its the first time i put modern wushu and mma on the same level with each other, in that the end result truly is the dislplay. the performance, the entertainment. both train undera a program to eventually enter an arena and display their skills to be judged under a set of regulations. of course one you can get KO and one you cant. but id say iv seen worse career injuries from modern wushu than i have from mma in an overall picture.

most of all though, his dedication and confidence is very inspiring, even after losing his ability to walk the man still trains his martial arts at his age!

Truly an inspiration.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

got to finish the 30 years in sanshou interview before bed.

superb. i wish that interview was online. thats the type of information that the general martial art population needs to be exposed to in regards to cma and contact fighting and the traditions and training involved in realistic serious cma pro fighters.

very educational for me.

im really liking this issue, i cant wait to finish it.
    Last edited by Lucas; 12-04-2009 at 10:38 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thanks Lucas

GM Novak is truly one of the great ones. I feel very privileged to have been able to put him on our cover. His contribution is immeasurable.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Novak is truly one of the great ones. I feel very privileged to have been able to put him on our cover. His contribution is immeasurable.
    definately, hell i feel privlileged just to read that article.

if i remember he said he still does his 100lb kettlebells at his age in his wheelchair....**** impressive.

dumbbells actually

Yea, he keeps them in his garage. Although he's not been doing that lately due to some medical issues. He came by earlier this week to buy a few copies. We gave them to him, of course. He only wanted a few to share with his family.

One thing is for sure, Al has a heart of gold. Just ask anyone who knows him.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

dang man after reading that article and such, makes you really want to meet the guy. im never in cali but if i ever make it down there soon enough id like to meet him at a competition...probably wont happen but we can fantasize lol

Talking Hey Gene

This one just came out at our Borders. Still have the last one at the Barnes and Noble. I asked them when this issue came out for them and they told me that the Nov/Dec was the latest issue.

That's wacky

Thanks for following up on that, ittokaos. It just goes to show what kind of hassles we go through with our distributors on the retail level...

Lucas, GM Novak will surely be at our next event, TCKMFCII. Ironically, it was our first TCKFMC event that made me pursue him as a cover interview. At one point, I saw GM Novak seated up alongside our cover masters in the VIP area and he was the only one there who hadn't actually been on our cover. I made sure to remedy that as soon as possible. Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship II & the 7th annual Shark City Nationals is June 12, 2010.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Unabridged article by Capt. Bibeau is now live

A Healing Journey by Robert J. Bibeau, Captain, USMC. We posted this one early because we're thinking about our troops abroad during the holidays.

We now have an alternate thread on the main forum about this issue, which I'll merge with this one someday. See ATTN Gene Ching - kungfu taichi
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

GM Novak article

Well done, Gene. I thought your introduction was amazingly good:

"As martial artists, we are unique in that we create ourselves. Through long years of rigorous training, sacrifice, denial, pain, we forge our bodies in the fire of our will."

Also, being a kempo practitioner, I'm fully aware of and don't disagree with much (if not most) of the criticism lodged against it. Especially regarding it's impurities, and in some cases questionable lineages. As such, I very much liked the objective American/Hawaiian perspective you placed on kempo and kajukenbo in your piece, and of their historical significance on the martial arts landscape of North America.

Thank you.

"As martial artists, we are unique in that we create ourselves. Through long years of rigorous training, sacrifice, denial, pain, we forge our bodies in the fire of our will."
    It was a great article, although I didn't get to finish it yesterday. That quote is from Enter the Dragon when the antagonist Han is addressing the group from the banquet scene.