Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had it to do all over again....

If you had it to do all over again....

If you had it to do all over again would you do anything differently? For example Spend more/less time on stances? Would you train different arts or pick a different Sifu? Are there any training methods you found to be a waste of time?
    Just asking because I am just starting my training and it would be useful to hear your experiences so that I don't waste my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpower View Post
    If you had it to do all over again would you do anything differently? For example Spend more/less time on stances? Would you train different arts or pick a different Sifu? Are there any training methods you found to be a waste of time?
    Just asking because I am just starting my training and it would be useful to hear your experiences so that I don't waste my time.
    No. I'd do it all exactly the same.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    No. I'd do it all exactly the same.
    That's great! What worked so well for you? What were the most important aspects of your training that made you what you are today?

all aspects of my training made me what I am today.

You are always the sum of your parts.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Are their things you teach differently than the way you learned them? Have you taken any methods and chucked them or improved them? Do you steer your students away from pitfalls you encountered? Did you ever find an easier or more direct way of training something than the way you originally learned it?

What my teachers did for me was great. They never wasted my time or trust. What I did for me was not as good. I was too busy planning for the future, thinking of what I would do when I learned more. My first teacher told me that the best masters in China were good because their basics were good and that the basics are all you really turn to in a fight. I understood that to some degree, but I wanted to know everything, every system ever created. As I matured, I realized that my teachers were actually teaching me too quickly and that I needed to slow down and investigate the teachings I had before moving on to new things.

My only advice is, if you already have a good teacher, investigate the depths, not merely the breadth of knowledge.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Blog Entries
    Have you taken any methods and chucked them or improved them?
    Who are we to IMPROVE time honored techniques? What we do is modify them to work BEST for US as an INDIVIDUAL. I don't think that's considered IMPROVING....as this implies something was wrong with the techniques. so for one man to come along after 200 years or so and say HE improved what's been working for that long is kinda arrogant.

Sorry thats just my opinion.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

sometimes the best way for students to learn is to muck it up and try and work it out for themselves.

spoonfeeding students is really not the best way to get them to REALLY learn and understand concepts being taught.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    sometimes the best way for students to learn is to muck it up and try and work it out for themselves.

spoonfeeding students is really not the best way to get them to REALLY learn and understand concepts being taught.
    totally agree. I know the best thing that ever happened to me was moving on to look for things myself and try other arts and styles. there comes a time when you have to journey out and learn things for yourself instead of relying on someone else to give them to you.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Slow Down.

Speed up; skills can only be accessed under stress. If you cant perform it in a stressful challenging environment, then its not really much of a skill, is it?

Changing the techniques would be altering the style thats not really what I am asking at all. It could be something like your teacher had you lift buckets of water but I have found that weights work just as well or maybe your teacher was more of a drill instructor and you take a kinder gentler approach or vice versa. Maybe you teach forms in a different order or techniques at different times. Things like that. I'm just trying to get an insight into the thought processes involved and tap into the vast experience of the marial artists on this board.

would it have been nice to have gotten into fight sports when i was still in high school, young, skinny, and on ritalin? sure, probably would've racked up a lot more experience.

would i trade the time i spent with my first kung fu teacher and our Japanese friends to do it? not so much.

if i'd had a good fighting gym around me from my freshman year in college, things would've been completely different; but it's very hard to imagine because the live I've led has given me the perspective i currently have. take that away and i'm not the same guy.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

i probably would have started judo as a kid if i could go back in time. as it is now i didnt start recieving instruction in cma until i was 20, im 30 now, and now im finally looking at judo or jujitsu. reverse time and i would find a judo teacher or a shuai jiao teacher asap. i say judo because its easier to find. and i probably would have wrestled in high school.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Who are we to IMPROVE time honored techniques? What we do is modify them to work BEST for US as an INDIVIDUAL. I don't think that's considered IMPROVING....as this implies something was wrong with the techniques. so for one man to come along after 200 years or so and say HE improved what's been working for that long is kinda arrogant.

Sorry thats just my opinion.
    I'll split hairs and disagree with you on this. The Gracies improved on Kano's teachings of Judo and created BJJ. The Chineses government mixed elements of traditional Kung Fu styles with western boxing and Shuai Jaio and created Sanda. There are instances of an art being improved and we as martial artists should strive to improve our arts at all times. Anything that does not evolve and stays stagnant dies, martial arts are no exception.

As for what I would change, I would have competed in boxing and kickboxing more in my youth instead of partying my a*ss off and sleeping with slews of women....................... Now that I think about it, I wouldn't change a **** thing.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato